Quined Games (Netherlands)
2018 (published through Kickstarter)
Olivier Bourgeois
Ian O’Toole
2-4
13+
35 minutes
€ 22,50
worldwide (Quined Games, US shipping €24) and also available worldwide through Amazon (restock in April)

Description & Goal
In this game you are a sketchy underworld figure, trying to gain fortune with printing fake bills and having them pass off as the real thing. To do this you have to buy all sorts of printing supplies through the black market and make regular visits to launder the counterfeit bills. However, the police are smelling something fishy and as the game progresses the aroma gets stronger. As the stakes get higher and living the criminal life gets harder, the Godfather is of course willing to protect you. At a price, that is. And no paying with fake bills as he knows what you’re up to! Fortunately he doesn’t know about your offshore account.. If only you can find the time to fly up and down to make regular deposits.
If you have the highest total value of real bills by the time the law enforcement is finally onto your business - you win.

limecamel Contents & Components
In the box I have found the following contents:

100 counterfeit bills (30 of quality *, 30 of quality ** and 40 of quality ***)
100 “real” bills (32 of $10 and 68 of $50)
42 component cards (in categories A, B, C, D, S)
12 animal henchmen/workers (3 for each player, wood, blue/white/pink/green)
4 offshore bank account envelopes (1 for each player)
4 sight screens (1 for each player)
3 rule booklets (Dutch, English, German)
1 double sided game board (one side for 1-2 players, other side for 3-4 players)
1 first player pawn (wooden sunglasses)
1 police offer pawn (wood and blue)

The quality of the components is quite high. I am always quite happy when there is wood involved. The cards are coated but printed on high gloss non structured paper.
It is a compact game, easily transported. Everything fits just in the box and no room is wasted. I don’t think I will be able to make foam board insert for this one. (There is however a 3D printable file available by Fabmaszter)

6 Mechanics/Elements
I will include this section in my review, since it may help others deciding whether this game is for them. According to my experience, this game has (elements of) the following mechanics/characteristics:
Turn-based (albeit the starting player may change after one round which is when all works have been placed)
Worker placement* (placing exactly 3 workers per turn)
Deck / Pool Building* (building a deck of components for printing counterfeit bills)
Card Drafting* (collecting bonuses)
Resource management (both the counterfeit and the “real” money)
Take That (taking up spaces on the gameboard which your co-players wanted to land on, making them lose money)

tantaj: Theme & Artwork
The play is set in Miami (Florida, USA). The theme is dark, eclectic and it really reminds me a bit of the vibe given to me while watching the Danger 5 tv-show - it is criminal and sketchy yet vibrant. Almost feels like it is set in the ‘80s as well. If you play this in a smoky parlor with dimmed light, smoking a cigar and sipping a glass of Scotch.. well you get it. It would be perfect.

thumbsup What makes this game fun?
The theme is original and very well operated throughout all of the game and with each component. I personally do like the worker placement mechanic a lot - it is easy to keep track of who is doing what. The bonus is also in the fact that you can thwart your fellow gamers - place your worker on the spot they were eyeing, and watch them struggle, ha!
Beside I do like games where money is involved - in this particular one it is a lot of money going around.

thumbsdown What takes away from the fun?
If one player manages to collect most of the printers (with which counterfeit money is printed, the more printers, the more bills) it becomes (very) hard to win. This is more of an issue with 2 players though.

1db Would I ever consider selling this game if I run out of shelf space?
It does not take a lot of money and it is generally enjoyed when I take it with me and play with others. It has such a distinctive theme/artwork that I would not easily consider giving it up. Also because it is not as commonly available as most games.

heart Would I consider gifting this game to someone, and whom?
Yes. It is not really expensive, easy to learn to play. In fact I wanted to gift it to a couple a while ago, but decided to go with Patchwork since they play a lot of 2 players games and I consider Patchwork a better 2 player game.

What would a fly on the wall hear when this game is in session?
“I knew you were going for that 4th printer! Stop it!”
“No, let me play as the super bad-ass moose”
“HAHAHHA I just triggered the Godfather and you cannot store your money offshore, so pay!”

surprise Throw me a nice random trivia fact?
Pecunia Olet means - Money Stinks - derived from the Latin saying Pecunia Non Olet, which means the exact opposite.

kiss What I Think
I voted a 7/10, breakdown:

Theme
Price/Quality
Artwork
Rulebook/Learning
Interaction
Replayability
2-player Value

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Desalvo
Italy
Country side area north of Rome
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a feder-allergic and I blame the Klingon for not having smashed the Federation in time to save us from Star Trek serials.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice work, but you need some guidance in learning how to use the [floatleft][/floatleft] that requires to be closed by a [clear]. The same with the [floatright][/floatright], while [center][/center] is self sealing. Consider this another help from the No Geek Left Behind thread.
AllLuckySevens wrote:
Personalia
Full Name:
Publisher:
Year:
Designer:
Artist:
Number of players:
Ages:
Playtime:
Price:
Ships to:
Pecunia Olet - Counterfeiters
Olivier Bourgeois
Ian O’Toole
2-4
13+
35 minutes
€ 22,50
worldwide (Quined Games, US shipping €24) and also available worldwide through Amazon (restock in April)
Now, to read how I made, you just have to start replying, so you will see the tricks I used. And keep working, and one day someone will decide that you should be a mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
An An
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackSheeper wrote:
Nice work, but you need some guidance in learning how to use the [floatleft][/floatleft] that requires to be closed by a [clear]. The same with the [floatright][/floatright], while [center][/center] is self sealing. Consider this another help from the No Geek Left Behind thread.
AllLuckySevens wrote:
Personalia
Full Name:
Publisher:
Year:
Designer:
Artist:
Number of players:
Ages:
Playtime:
Price:
Ships to:
Pecunia Olet - Counterfeiters
Olivier Bourgeois
Ian O’Toole
2-4
13+
35 minutes
€ 22,50
Now, to read how I made, you just have to start replying, so you will see the tricks I used. And keep working, and one day someone will decide that you should be a mb
Thanks! When I last checked the preview it looked decent though. Oh well, I changed it and hopefully it will stay put now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan McNeely
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're very kind to this game. The two-player experience needs help desperately. It's the most stress- and tension-free worker placement game I've ever played. That's not a compliment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls