Subject: Role-Playing Recommended! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Hallberg
United States
Upper Chichester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Playing 1v1 with my wife recently and started with garbage clues. The best I could do was A Few More Miles (6 miles from the treasure). Since my wife has never liked playing with the multiple miniatures, it was just the one and I couldn't lie.

Thinking the game would be really short, I started making it really narrative. When she did searches, I described what Jim Hawkins would find from skeletons under the docs, to rum barrels in the towns, to tasty bones for Fortune to chew on. I made up a trapped room when she searched the ruins. We had long conversations as our equally overly-confident characters that organically grew from the clues I was giving. After 10 days of not finding the treasure, I described Hawkin's crew growing restless and losing confidence. The jail guards kept giving LJS rum to try to loosen his lips, while he kept buying favors with coins, building the narrative of escape. When she did find the treasure, she started an epilogue where Jim triumphantly returns wearing a spiffy new captains suit matching Fortune's floppy new pirate hat. But, the rest of the crew didn't take kindly to Jim's mutiny and as he heads towards his new ship, war sails dot the horizon.

It was FANTASTIC. The game was over quickly by most standards but we filled a good hour with it and made the experience extremely memorable. I definitely recommend adding role-playing to the game. What we did was full-on, serious characters but even light RP can add color to the experience.

The easiest place to try this is with the searches.

As a Mutineer: Describe how you search: "I jam my shovel under every stone of the temple stairs, seeing if any of them are loose."

As LJS: Describe what players do find when they come up empty: "You do find a loose stone on the right. Underneath is a thin, needle-like sword, wrapped in cloth. It's certainly a lovely find but it's not my treasure."

The chest tokens are also designed to be items you find: old maps, signs pointing west/east, etc. "You dig up an old chest, carved into the wood are the initials LJS, with the dates 1740-1743. You're ten years too late to find the treasure but you do find an old map."

As much as I enjoy looking a Mutineer dead in the eye and saying "Ya find Nuthin'", I'll definitely prefer describing a strange goat that seems to be following Olivier around or how Jim keeps coming up empty-handed but Fortune keeps finding THE BEST BONES. I think you should too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You and your wife sound like delightful people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hallberg
United States
Upper Chichester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Very kind of you to say so!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Paquien
France
Talloires
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Really cool! That s the way I like to play too :-).

Based on what you wrote, i am not sure you understood the 2 player rule correctly. Please check new rulebook available for download on bgg (same rule but better explanation).

Your wife can actualy play with one single miniature, as she can choose every turn. But 2 other miniatures will stand on the board, helping a lot for some clues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hallberg
United States
Upper Chichester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Marco P wrote:
But 2 other miniatures will stand on the board, helping a lot for some clues.
Yes! This is what I learned from this game. We never put them out because Nicole never used them, but we won't make that mistake again.

I was happy when the LJS miniature was put on its tower so I could use that as well. Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls