Charles
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
I wanted to make some short alien bios for each species, to help new players "get into it." I'd appreciate any feedback if I'm off the mark with these or missed something important!

Faderan Conclave: For thirty million years the only sapient species in the galaxy, the Faderan are poised between the futility of action and the drive for meaning. Supported by the ancient machines and relics of their past civilizations, and initially content to simply observe, they have interfered with and brought together the new alien races in a great Confluence to avert galactic chaos.

Kt'Zr'Kt'Rtl Adhocracy: Brilliant, flighty, chaotic, heroic: the Kt'Zr'Kt'Rtl ("Kit") were poised to overpopulate the galaxy with their insane nullspace drive. Sabotaged by the Faderan, they were brought into the Confluence instead. Now they see an even greater opportunity to embrace the chaotic flux of the universe, move fast, and break things.

Kjasjavikalimm Directorate: Having mastered their pheremonal loyalties and emotions, the ruthlessly pragmatic Kjasjavikalimm ("'djas") were set to master the galaxy, dominating the incompetent and pacifistic. Sabotaged by the Faderan, they have been forced to the Confluence. Forged to a common pheremonal purpose, they will yet expand and control these stars.

Caylion Plutocracy: Rooted, photosynthetic, sybaritic, the Caylion mastered their planet and system with drones and telepresence. Now, forced to compete with motile alien species in the Confluence, they must uproot and seed themselves beyond their systems of safety and sanity, engendering danger and shortage to inspire galactic growth.

Im'dril Nomads: Created by the Faderan and denied their deep history, the Im'dril have been left to travel the stars without cease, a nomadic civilization of artists and explorers. Genetically caste-based and unable to evolve, they thought themselves alone in the cosmos and somewhat divine. Now they have met others in the Confluence, and question their own provenance.

Unity: Millions of years of computational evolution of created minds and uploaded Faderan have given rise to the Unity, a multitude of artificial intelligences embodied in a computerized world locked in orbit around a red dwarf. Brought to the Confluence, these intelligences struggle to make themselves relevant in the growing society of aliens.

Eni Et Ascendancy: Massive aquatic denizens of a resource-poor ocean world, the Eni Et have mastered sociology and psychology to redirect their fanatic pursuit of self-actualization towards societal coordination at all scales. In the Confluence, their network of interlocking interspecies charities will provide the means of influencing galactic society.

Yengii Society: Four unrelated crystalline species of Mules, Hands, Paths, and Words work together to form a civilization on their inhospitable world. The Yengii cannot trust the monstrous aliens, so capable of individual acts of evil. Forced into the Confluence, they will only share their technology with species that they feel will use it properly.

Zeth Anocracy: Evolving on their bog world, the Zeth possess an immense ability to understand and manipulate the individuals of any species. Their society is an iron age civilization trapped in cycles of theft, manipulation, extortion, and fear, tools which they now bring to the Confluence to dominate black markets and illicit industries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rav
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Faderan: Robots that make weird random planets and yell RECOGNIZE ME at people.

Ktzerktirlrla: Planet vending space wasps.

Kjasviaklaimaimmm: Planet devouring lizard people that want to be left alone in their soviet blocs.

Caylion: Tentacles that don't get worlds often, but when they do, hooboy.

Im'Dril Nomads: Worldship people that need ridiculous deals to win.

Unity: Intergalactic garbage men.

Eni Et: Full communism space whales.

Yengii: Crystal nerds that won't share their homework.

Zeth: The mafia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TauCeti Deichmann
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
Charles:

That's all spot on. A few minor bits that probably aren't worth including:

Kjasjavikalimm: While (most of) their nations are moving with a common purpose, those nations really don't like each other.

Unity: Most Unity don't recognize reality as "real" -- this is what's holding them back from relevancy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Treebearded
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since Rav has extended this into funny, short descriptions, I'll try my hand at it as well:

Faderan: Politicians and lobbyists.

K'tzk'trtl: The guy people mean when they say, "I know a guy."

Kjasjavikalim: Overzealous tyrants.

Caylion: Hoarders.

Im'Dril Nomads: Startup geniuses with bold ideas.

Unity: A recycling plant.

Eni Et: Hedge fund managers

Yengii: Patent trolls.

Zeth: Insurance salesmen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emrys Ternal
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Charles: I think the phrasing for the Faderan could use some work. Perhaps instead it should say

As the only sapient species in the galaxy for thirty million years, the Faderan were poised between the futility of action and the drive for meaning. Supported by the ancient machines and relics of their past civilizations, and initially content to simply observe, to avert galactic chaos they've brought together the younger alien races in this Sidereal Confluence.

(The fact that they interfered with the growth of the Kjas and Kt is an important plot point, but not for this short of a summary.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls