Subject: Card-ripping rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fred Finkenbinder
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this has been posted a bunch, but let me add one more thread...

Can anyone tell me the percentage of people who actually rip/destroy any card that is removed from the game? I know that the rules don't say to do so specifically, but apparently a good amount of legacy gamers do just that - encouraged by the "ripped card" icon in the rules. Do so many folks really do that?

I have been setting my removed events aside, if for nothing else than to act as a narrative trail for me to look back on for my campaign (I play solo with 3 characters).

Please don't "rip me" for bringing this up, but it really is fascinating to me that people would destroy components they paid for.

Poll below - please vote away!

Poll
Do you rip up removed components in Gloomhaven (Events, Random Scenarios, etc.)?
Yes
No
      313 answers
Poll created by bigbadscrubb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sauro
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't do it for Gloomhaven, but it's a pretty exciting part of, say, Pandemic Legacy. It's a great way of emphasising that the point of the game--and what you're really paying for--is the experiences you have and not the materials in the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
bigbadscrubb wrote:
I know this has been posted a bunch, but let me add one more thread...

Can anyone tell me the percentage of people who actually rip/destroy any card that is removed from the game? I know that the rules don't say to do so specifically, but apparently a good amount of legacy gamers do just that - encouraged by the "ripped card" icon in the rules. Do so many folks really do that?

I have been setting my removed events aside, if for nothing else than to act as a narrative trail for me to look back on for my campaign (I play solo with 3 characters).

Please don't "rip me" for bringing this up, but it really is fascinating to me that people would destroy components they paid for.
37%
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris E
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryaneko wrote:
37%
37.2%. You forgot to count Bob.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
bigbadscrubb wrote:
I think this every time I go into a restaurant and see people putting the stuff they paid for in their mouths, getting it all wet and then grinding it up. Like, what is wrong with you people, you paid for that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Chipman
United States
Murray
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
madantichris wrote:
Ryaneko wrote:
37%
37.2%. You forgot to count Bob.
Always nice to feel included.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
bigbadscrubb wrote:
I think this every time I go into a restaurant and see people putting the stuff they paid for in their mouths, getting it all wet and then grinding it up. Like, what is wrong with you people, you paid for that!
I literally burn candles.

It’s just a different mindset. I don’t rip up Gloomhaven cards, but I’ve played Pandemic Legacy S1 & S2, as well as Charterstone and tore components, stickered up others, and drew on some too! I played Charterstone 12 times, and both Pandemics I think 18 times, which is a lot more than I can say for probably half of my collection. So they got more than their average time to shine. Different products have different purposes. Legacy games are more of an experience (like a dinner or movie, etc) and aren’t meant to last forever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a ziplock baggy that we put all 'destroyed' or whatever content into.

If you were really hard core, you could rip out the pages from the scenario book you had locked out. Just make sure you know if you need the other side of the page!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
We've been playing in a room with a fireplace recently. When we finish a tear-up card, into the fire it goes. Pretty fun to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Finkenbinder
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bear in mind that I am primarily a wargamer, and my only experience with Legacy gaming (at least recently) is "Skyrim," so kindly excuse me.

It should be noted that I have zero problem marking up the board and rules, and stickering (one of my favorite parts of the game, actually). I even use the permanent stickers, so I have no inclination of trying this a second time once it's done. I just think tearing up the cards can lead to confusion later on when you try to remember an old event (as a result of pulling a new, related event). I think the narrative trail is nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have them in a zip back too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Bacher
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
They're just doing a bit of chemistry on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
In seriousness, this has been (kind of) asked before, with an actual poll. It looks like about 60% of people play with legacy rules, whatever that means. A subset of that group actually rips up cards.

Poll - Do you play with legacy rules?

What this thread should have had, since it's specifically asking for a percentage, is a poll!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Finkenbinder
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
In seriousness, this has been (kind of) asked before, with an actual poll. It looks like about 60% of people play with legacy rules, whatever that means. A subset of that group actual rips up cards.

Poll - Do you play with legacy rules?

What this thread should have had, since it's specifically asking for a percentage, is a poll!
Right, I saw that. I get people playing with or without legacy components - but I didn't know how many of those folks destroyed cards.

I will refine my initial post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Finkenbinder
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll added to initial post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin S.
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, I have 4 ziploc bags for events. 1 for locked city events, 1 for locked road events, 1 for unlocked city & road events (with the event results facing each other), and one for completed and removed city & road events (with event text facing inwards)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C
United States
Muscatine
Iowa
flag msg tools
SnarksandBoojums wrote:
For what it's worth, I have 4 ziploc bags for events. 1 for locked city events, 1 for locked road events, 1 for unlocked city & road events (with the event results facing each other), and one for completed and removed city & road events (with event text facing inwards)
I have something like this, though in my insert I have a separate partition in the card box for "removed" Event cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ftl ftw
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't rip them up, but I do put a big fat black X over them with a sharpie. I've got a baggie of "used up" events like that as a record.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fincham
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given the investment in the game, we just can't do it. We throw all the "rip" cards in a small deck box and put that in the main box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hrvoje Jakovac
Croatia
Delnice
Gorski kotar
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No way. I want to play this game again whistle We remove cards that we had to rip and put them away. Also got removable stickers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Mullet
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We are nearly a year into the game and are at prosperity 4 with a grand total of two unlocked characters. With 9 characters still to unlock and with the decks for items, city events and road events that we have not unlocked still considerably larger than those that we have, I would have no qualms about ripping up components.

I have too many other unopened games lying dormant whose use is entirely reliant on me, one day, finishing off Gloomhaven for good.

It's a one-time experience for us and part of that 'open-world experience' is that choices have consequences and you can't 'replay them'. We find it makes the decision-points more meaningful.

If we met more regularly or if I had more time for board-gaming, though, I wouldn't treat it as a legacy game and I would actively avoid any permanent alterations of components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
bigbadscrubb wrote:
encouraged by the "ripped card" icon in the rules.
If you're going to rip cards just because the icon for "remove from game" is a ripped card, does that mean that any time you "lose" a card, you take a red sharpie and mark a big X on the lost card? (after all, the icon for "lost card" is a card with a big red X on it. Same goes for consumed items)

And hopefully these "legacy" gamers rip up any Magic: the Gathering (or other CCG) cards that are "removed from the game" when they play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Finkenbinder
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so at this time we have 156 votes tallied.

Of those, 150 are against card-ripping, and 6 are for card-ripping.

I think the people have spoken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
bigbadscrubb wrote:

no, 150 people have said that they don't do it themselves.
I think people should be free to do whatever they want with their own games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Finkenbinder
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:
bigbadscrubb wrote:

no, 150 people have said that they don't do it themselves.
I think people should be free to do whatever they want with their own games.
Absolutely - just pointing out what the majority of players seem to be doing based on this poll. My apologies if my wording was not articulated properly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |