Bill Koens
United States
Watsonville
California
flag msg tools
badge
marks the spot.
mbmbmbmbmb
We're playing this in my classroom again and we're going to make some changes to the rules for our second play through:

1. Islam is too strong as a pick. Its current implementation (gain 1 glory per turn for conquering non-Islamic empires; lose 1 glory per maneuver for conquering Islamic empires) leads to gamey plays and Islam swamping the globe (to prevent other Islamic empires attacking it). So here our two changes to Islam

a. You may only gain glory for attacking other players' non-Islamic empires. (This eliminately the cheap ploy of keeping a civ around for your Islamic empire to nibble at for easy points.)

b. The drawback to Islam is changed to: "When another player's non-Islamic empire maneuvers and conquers one or more of your spaces, that empire gains one glory." The original drawback leads to rampant spread of Islam. This could lead to opposing religions fighting back instead. Gaining points for yourself is better than preventing

2. A simple change: Populists gain the ability to start or adopt an age appropriate government when played. This makes their Gov't 1 glory more useful.

More thoughts later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krister Dahlgren
Sweden
Gävle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to hear you are still playing the game! I'm way overdue for another playthrough myself, but time is not very generously distributed right now...

About Islam: In almost all my games, Christianity and Islam emerge as the dominant religions, whereas a few empires, usually in the east might hang on to Confucianism, Hinduism or Buddhism. To some extent this is by design, as apart from the semi-fictious Religious Empire (or an empire with a Prophet), empires can only gain Glory for Christianity (mainly Europe + Age V Americas) or Islam (Near East / Africa).

However, this effect is reinforced by the powers of those particular religions. Christian empires can send missionaries to adjacent non-Christian empires (causing unrest) and Islamic empires gain Glory for attacking non-Islamic empires, so there is an additional benefit for empires to convert to one of these religions if their religious neighbors are aggressive. Confucianism has a somewhat similar effect but it is more passive in nature. Buddhism and Hinduism are 100% passive effects.

The bonus Glory from Islam is probably the strongest of the various religious effects (Islamic Mongols are scary!) and it could be that the drawback is on the weak side. Also, history has plenty of examples of inter-Islamic wars, so the "Islamic unity" effect of the religion in the game is a bit unhistorical (the Heresy artifact tries to remedy this) but I largely kept the original effect from 7 Ages in this case.

1a: This is already the case, it is intended that you can never gain combat-related Glory from attacking your own empires.

1b: For reasons above, Islam could do with a new drawback. At a first glance I think that this is a bit too much as it invites all other empires to go on the offensive and attack you. How about If another player's non-islamic empire maneuvers and conquers one or more of your spaces, this empire loses 1 Glory? Similar effect but slightly less warmonger-like and it would make it less tempting to attack weak Islamic empires to score some easy Glory. However, your proposition could change up the religious dynamics a bit as it also would give weaker empires better reasons to go for Hinduism, Buddhism or Confucianism instead. If you try it out, let me know how it worked!

2: This sounds reasonable enough, and it is very similar to the Prophet, so it should not be too hard to remember.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls