Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Despite having had Gloomhaven for a few months now, my daughter and I are only a few missions into the main campaign (as my gaming time has been limited of late). Alas, one of my two daughters I started the campaign with has decided she doesn't like the game, so it will just be me and the other daughter. But that's OK.

Anyway, sometimes my other daughter isn't available (due to after-school stuff) or not in the mood, but I'd want to still probably play. I was thinking maybe I could play one of those smaller mini-campaigns that have been released (Like the Capital Intrigue one) simultaneous with the old one, particularly if I use two different characters than the ones we are using in the "main" campaign. Would there be any major issues wit doing this, or would there potentially be "collision" issues?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Cwertetschka
Germany
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Gloomhaven: Forgotten Circles!
mbmbmbmbmb
The expeditions are completely seperate from the main campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I should clarify, I do realize they are separate. And from what I can tell, there's no reason that would cause problems doing an expedition campaign at the same time as a regular one; I just wasn't sure if there was some subtle issue that may crop up that may cause problems later.

But based on your answer, I assume that means "You should be fine doing it that way"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As you only play 2 player each you have enough decks for each player (otherwise you would sometimes need to sort out the perks)
The only issue could be items, but I think there should be enough of them to give you options

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing the mini-campaigns with a separate set of characters is specifically how they're designed to be played. You will not run into any problems if you do this. The Infinite Beyond is running right now, and my group is alternating between our main campaign and that mini-campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Biggest thing to keep in mind for occasional players is retirement goals.

If their goal is Kill X of a specific bad guy or play X types of scenarios, then try and save those missions for when they can play, so they don't have to go back and play them in casual mode.

Otherwise there are 0 issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
squegeeboo wrote:
Biggest thing to keep in mind for occasional players is retirement goals.

If their goal is Kill X of a specific bad guy or play X types of scenarios, then try and save those missions for when they can play, so they don't have to go back and play them in casual mode.

Otherwise there are 0 issues.
This isn’t an issue with the mini campaigns, as they don’t get personal quests there
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the responses, everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oedipussy Rex
msg tools
I am playing two separate solo campaigns of three characters each that do not share a "world". So if one campaign removes a city event from the game, it is still available for the other; random item designs available to one are not available to the other; different prosperity levels for both; etc. Setup and breakdown is longer because combat decks need to be rebuilt every time, items need to be taken and replaced, and so on.

But it's doable. It's a matter of bookkeeping. There are many files available that help with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
The only small issue you might come across is when the mini-campaign suggests you can use items beyond the Prosperity level you've currently reached in the main campaign. That's easily ignored but there was also at least one scenario reward which unlocked an item I hadn't yet seen in the main campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls