Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Gray
United States
Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Some legacy games really seem to want essentially the same players in each game (Charterstone and Pandemic Legacy) but others accommodate a shifting set of players (eg, for Gloomhaven I have a group of about 8 players who each only play in some games). None of them seem do well with a one-off drop-in player.

Where does this one fall? If I play mostly 2-player with my wife, and occasionally 3-player with my wife and son, and occasionally 2-player with my son, does that work well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toeknee n
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mkgray wrote:
Some legacy games really seem to want essentially the same players in each game (Charterstone and Pandemic Legacy) but others accommodate a shifting set of players (eg, for Gloomhaven I have a group of about 8 players who each only play in some games). None of them seem do well with a one-off drop-in player.

Where does this one fall? If I play mostly 2-player with my wife, and occasionally 3-player with my wife and son, and occasionally 2-player with my son, does that work well?
This thread may be of interest: Can you start at 4 players then finish the game solo?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
To summarize with minimal spoilers, there is no explicit rule for changing the number of mages. It's possible to finagle it up to a certain point, but it would be difficult to do so.

If you wanted to play consistently with 2 or 3 players, your best bet would be to have someone play 'two-handed' and play two mages when you only have two players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's better to have the same players.
Given that you will get to build your character, you'll do so with a certain strategy and group cohesion in mind. A new player taking control of the character will have difficulties getting that hive mind when tagging along. They might not understand choices that have been made, why, and how to take advantage of them.

But you can certainly technically swap players in and out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Little
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Ruduen wrote:
To summarize with minimal spoilers, there is no explicit rule for changing the number of mages. It's possible to finagle it up to a certain point, but it would be difficult to do so.

If you wanted to play consistently with 2 or 3 players, your best bet would be to have someone play 'two-handed' and play two mages when you only have two players.
There actually is an explicit rule for player count: Once a campaign is started, it must continue with the same number of players throughout the entire campaign.

That being said there are ways to go down in player count. Going up is much harder or at least less balanced. Either way, switching player counts is going to be messy.

If you want to play 2 players and switch to 3 players, you might want to start with 2 players using three mages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nicklittle wrote:
Ruduen wrote:

There actually is an explicit rule for player count: Once a campaign is started, it must continue with the same number of players throughout the entire campaign.

That being said there are ways to go down in player count. Going up is much harder or at least less balanced. Either way, switching player counts is going to be messy.

If you want to play 2 players and switch to 3 players, you might want to start with 2 players using three mages.
I think I worded things poorly - it would've been better to say 'there's no explicit method for changing players'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gray
United States
Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
If you swap players in and out do you always play with the same two "mages" and just have them controlled by different players in different sessions or does each player have their own mage?

Does it matter if most of the games are players A&B and a few are A&C vs. half games A&B and half games A&C?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin 'qxc' Riley
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mkgray wrote:
Razoupaf wrote:
If you swap players in and out do you always play with the same two "mages" and just have them controlled by different players in different sessions or does each player have their own mage?

Does it matter if most of the games are players A&B and a few are A&C vs. half games A&B and half games A&C?
You could make more mages than you're playing with and swap whoever in for each game. There's an issue regarding this later in the campaign but wouldn't be hard to swap additional things to maintain equivalence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gray
United States
Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
qxc0 wrote:

You could make more mages than you're playing with and swap whoever in for each game. There's an issue regarding this later in the campaign but wouldn't be hard to swap additional things to maintain equivalence.
OK, we played (and enjoyed) our first 3-player game with Red, Green & Blue mages.

Minor first scenario "spoiler" question:
Spoiler (click to reveal)

Is the recommendation to "advance" the Yellow mage at the end of the first scenario, choosing a card+sticker and the new starting hand?

If I play a future scenario with Red, Yellow and Blue which has a similar end-of-scenario enhancement, we'd then "advance" the green mage as relevant?

Or are things just that much simpler/better if we always play with Red, Green, and Blue?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin 'qxc' Riley
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mkgray wrote:
qxc0 wrote:

OK, we played (and enjoyed) our first 3-player game with Red, Green & Blue mages.

Minor first scenario "spoiler" question:
Spoiler (click to reveal)

Is the recommendation to "advance" the Yellow mage at the end of the first scenario, choosing a card+sticker and the new starting hand?

If I play a future scenario with Red, Yellow and Blue which has a similar end-of-scenario enhancement, we'd then "advance" the green mage as relevant?

Or are things just that much simpler/better if we always play with Red, Green, and Blue?
There will be a chapter where swapping a mage in/out will be trickier, but until that point there's no reason you can't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls