Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

So I'm stationed overseas in Okinawa and wanted to know if others overseas had preferred retailers.

Asking because I recently got an order from Miniature Market that had little protection and now I have damaged games to deal with now that I'll be on the hook to pay return shipping. I'm beginning to think I should just stick with Amazon (even though they offer no protection at all) but offer easy returns/replacements at no cost. Are there any other recommendations out there? Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron H
United States
Newark
DE
flag msg tools
Broth runs deep through our veins.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Philibertnet.com (based in France) has by far the most thorough packaging of any retailer I've used. No other store even comes close in quality of the box and packaging material used. It's actually a bit excessive, IMO. Their shipping to Japan is expensive but might not be more than from a U.S. Retailer, and prices there are typically better for games by European publishers. For some games (particularly Lookout and Eggertspiele games), I can often get them cheaper by importing them from Europe than buying them locally in the US, but more importantly, I've never received a damaged from them, and it has never taken more than 3 days for a package from them to arrive even though they ship all the way from Strasbourg, France.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spleenmuncher wrote:
Philibertnet.com (based in France) has by far the best packaging of any retailer I've used. Shipping to Japan is expensive but might not be more than from a U.S. Retailer, and prices there are typically better for games by European publishers. For some games (particularly Lookout and Eggertspiele games), I can often get them cheaper by importing them from Europe than buying them locally in the US.
Thanks this is great info. If the packaging is rock-solid, then worrying about returns becomes a moot point. I'll definitely look into them.
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently wanted some more score sheets for Twenty One, which are hard to come by, and I saw that this site called grooves.land had them. They also have free worldwide shipping (I think it was about $28.00). I realized I was taking a little bit of a flyer, but I went for it. I was able to get a couple of packs of the score sheets, with free shipping. I got an email confirmation right away, and I was surprised how quickly the box arrived, and nicely packed (a box and bubblewrap for some score sheets, better than I've had some games sent). Seems to be the German edition of things, so it depends what you're looking for, but some things that are hard to get here can be had reasonably from their site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Briggs
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Overseas shipping can be spendy...amazon does, ebay, and most of the major on line retailers have oversea rates. Check out their shipping policies. The high cost of overseas is not retailers making a profit, it is just the cost of doing business with the shipping companies, and there may also be a custom charge added by some countries which will add additional expense, so know your countries custom pricing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
javapuzzles wrote:
Overseas shipping can be spendy...amazon does, ebay, and most of the major on line retailers have oversea rates. Check out their shipping policies. The high cost of overseas is not retailers making a profit, it is just the cost of doing business with the shipping companies, and there may also be a custom charge added by some countries which will add additional expense, so know your countries custom pricing.
He says he's stationed there, so he's probably using an APO rather than paying overseas rates. The issue is how well the packages survive the trip.

OP, have you tried requesting additional packing material in the order comments section with a mention of how far the package is actually going? I don't know if it would work, but it might be worth a shot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cormor321 wrote:
javapuzzles wrote:
He says he's stationed there, so he's probably using an APO rather than paying overseas rates. The issue is how well the packages survive the trip.

OP, have you tried requesting additional packing material in the order comments section with a mention of how far the package is actually going? I don't know if it would work, but it might be worth a shot.
Yes, that's correct. I'm using an FPO address. I guess I assumed that the distance really shouldn't matter in how you ship an item. In all my time selling on eBay I always packed things the best way possible regardless of distance. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls