Subject: Bezos and the National Enquirer rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
This post is pretty remarkable.

Jeff Bezos basically a big FUCK YOU to David Pecker and the National Enquirer who tried to blackmail Bezos into dropping an investigation into them. So Bezos describes the pictures and texts the National Enquirer has of him (dick pics).

You should read it - Bezos even published their threatening emails to him.

I'm conflicted about Amazon.com. But Bezos has shown some guts here.

Just think of all those others who can't afford to tell National Enquirer to fuck off. 'Cause you know this ain't the first time they've done it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Parker
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Blackmail is illegal, right? I’m not just imagining that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
Fake Mike wrote:
It isn't usually treated as a crime when lawyers do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
gvonl wrote:
It is gutsy. But Bezos did something that we typically censure people for, so we should also censure him for it even as we laud him for being gutsy. The two things needn't be mutually exclusive.
Why should I care about Bezos' marital issues at all?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J
United States
Beverly Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m having a juvenile laugh at Bezos responding to a dick pic blackmail with ‘No thank you, Mr. Pecker.’ Obvious and low brow, sure, but I did qualify it as a juvenile laugh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Very legal & very cool
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aeroguru1978 wrote:
I’m having a juvenile laugh at Bezos responding to a dick pic blackmail with ‘No thank you, Mr. Pecker.’ Obvious and low brow, sure, but I did qualify it as a juvenile laugh.
Any discussion of Mr. Pecker is a good excuse for a juvenile laugh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The definition of blackmail legally, is quirky, a woman on CNN tried to explain it this morning. What they did MIGHT be illegal, but it has a lot to do with the value of the item they were seeking to extort.

That said, beyond the blackmail thing, several possible larger issues are at hand here. Bezos security agent believes that Bezos' phone was NOT hacked, and believes that state entity(ies) may be responsible, for obtaining the emails and texts that might be compromising.

AMI (Pecker's) relation to Trump is well known, and Trumps hatred of Bezos (and his Washington Post) is well documented. People were suggesting this morning, that this incident is worthy of investigation on another level, namely, that the hack of his emails and texts (which would be illegal) were done in coordination between Pecker, possibly Trump, and possibly the Saudis, whom have the capability to conduct such hacking operations. It should not escape notice, that Pecker was trying to extort a stop, to Bezos (and Washington Post) investigations, into Peckers activities, and also possible ties to Trump.

Given the fact that Kushner is unusually cozy with MBS, given the fact that MBS has the capabilities to hack Bezos' info, and given the fact that both Pecker and MBS are cozy with the Trump admin on policies (and feigned ignorance on the Khashoggi killing), I think that this incident will be investigated, for possible deeper meaning, which might eventually reveal a more careful, coordinated union, between Pecker, Trump and his team, and a foreign state actor, which may have conducted illegal activities on a U.S. citizen.

It could be very damaging indeed, if Trump was somehow involved, or intimately knowledgeable, about such activities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rshipley wrote:
Fake Mike wrote:
IANAL, but this one might well be criminal.

Lawyers (and people) generally engage in "legal" extortion by threatening either to file legal claims or to take some action directly related to the issue at hand. For example, I had a contractual relationship with a business where in my view the other party was failing to perform at a minimum acceptable level. I demanded that they make some changes or I would stop doing any of the various things I was doing beyond my contractual obligations, as well as telling anyone who came to me as a reference why I thought the partner was failing to live up to their end of our relationship. I could have added a threat to file a press release or some other public statement. It would have been, "Do what I want or I'll do something that harms you," but it would have been legal since my actions were directly related to the contract.

In this case, the demand is that the owner of a newspaper put out a public statement about a matter the newspaper is investigating and the threat has nothing to do with that. If they had said, "Pay us $1 million or the dick pick goes out," that would obviously be criminal. The've asked for something of obvious monetary value.

Put another way, if this isn't illegal, the law should be rewritten.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Laughs, AMI was under some type of plea deal arrangement with SDNY, based on past misdeeds. General rules of thumb should have been;

Don't attempt to extort someone.

Stay away from the wealthiest man on the planet, who has the resources to fight it.

But the commentary was made, rightfully, that this kind of scumbag operation, can definitely ensnare the type of person, that does not have the financial means, like Bezos, to fight extortion.

I agree that there should be definitive rules set in place, that prevent someone from feeling like they are being extorted. Either publish the stuff you have (if legally obtained), or don't. But contacting someone that is a subject of that evidence, and attempting to coerce them into saying or doing something, in exchange for silence, should be a definite no-no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
abadolato01 wrote:
Bezos security agent believes that Bezos' phone was NOT hacked, and believes that state entity(ies) may be responsible, for obtaining the emails and texts that might be compromising.
Your texts go through the cell phone company's infrastructure. They aren't encrypted. There are thousands of people who could get access to that data stream if they were motivated to do it.

[edit] A few years back Mark Cuban was pushing his Cyberdust messaging platform which encrypted everything and guaranteed zero data retention, even on your own phone. Most people just don't understand (or maybe just don't care) how insecure the cell phone infrastructure is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rshipley wrote:
Fake Mike wrote:
Why not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Henry
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind—Einstein
mbmbmbmbmb
I was hoping he'd say Ms. Sanchez agreed with this approach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
Most people just don't understand (or maybe just don't care) how insecure the cell phone infrastructure is.
The US president relies heavily on his cell phone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
abadolato01 wrote:
I agree that there should be definitive rules set in place, that prevent someone from feeling like they are being extorted. Either publish the stuff you have (if legally obtained), or don't. But contacting someone that is a subject of that evidence, and attempting to coerce them into saying or doing something, in exchange for silence, should be a definite no-no.
Extortion, fraud, intimidation, terroristic threats -- there's already lots of laws against this kind of stuff
Maybe, but it's odd that the legal pundits on the news media circuit, were not all in unison about whether that AMI did is ACTUALLY illegal. If there is that much uncertainty about it, the laws should definitely be clarified, or given more bite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Boardgame Aesthete
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:

Extortion, fraud, intimidation, terroristic threats -- there's already lots of laws against this kind of stuff

Thanks for not making me the first one to pedantically point out the difference between blackmail and extortion.

Credit to Bezos for getting out in front of this, but it sucks that pretty much only a billionaire who has nothing to lose but a bit of dignity can fight back against this kind of thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burke Martin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
I hate oars.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
and the plot thickens!

A reporter at the Washington Post says that an investigator hired by Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos believes that text messages leaked to the National Enquirer between Bezos and his girlfriend may have been sent to the magazine by someone in government.

https://thehill.com/policy/technology/429085-reporter-bezos-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Poole
msg tools
DavidDearlove wrote:
rshipley wrote:
Fake Mike wrote:
Why not?
What we're calling lawyer blackmail, is something along the lines of "we believe your youtube video is infringing on our copyrighted material. Please remove it and pay us $x in damage or we will sue you for removal, $x+y damages and court costs".

If this was illegal, lawyers wouldn't be able to negotiate or settle out of court at all, they'd just have to litigate everything to death.

A lawyer still cannot be like "Pay us 5 mil or we'll publish your dick pics".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Escapade wrote:
DavidDearlove wrote:
rshipley wrote:
Fake Mike wrote:
Why not?
What we're calling lawyer blackmail, is something along the lines of "we believe your youtube video is infringing on our copyrighted material. Please remove it and pay us $x in damage or we will sue you for removal, $x+y damages and court costs".

If this was illegal, lawyers wouldn't be able to negotiate or settle out of court at all, they'd just have to litigate everything to death.
Yes, but it depends on what x and y are. When they are unreasonable - as they often are - then it may be legal but that's the best you can say about it. It may fail to be ethical even by lawyers' own standards.

Quote:
If the dress it up right, they can get close to that. Maybe not for 5 million though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
Escapade wrote:

If the dress it up right, they can get close to that. Maybe not for 5 million though.
But if you dress it up, is it still even a dick pic?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen a couple of lawyerly assessments that this may not TECHNICALLY be illegal. Which doesn't mean it may not be a big deal.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/i-think-this-will-be-ve...

Josh Marshall wrote:
What it does show is that AMI is precisely the criminal enterprise, weaponizing pseudo-journalism and cash payoffs on behalf of wealthy associates, as we’ve come to suspect. Bezos’ also hints pretty clearly that there may be evidence that the Saudis are somehow behind what happened. Remember, Trump hates Bezos because he owns The Washington Post. Whether he believes that Bezos actually calls the shots in the Post’s reporting I have no idea. But that’s the source of Trump’s ire. Jamal Khashoggi also had a column with the Post. The Post has taken the lead in pushing for justice on Khashoggi’s behalf. So the Saudis have a big beef too. And of course Trump appears to have his own corrupt ties to the de facto rulers of Saudi Arabia and the UAE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This Guy
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Chad_Ellis wrote:
Dearlove wrote:
Escapade wrote:

Then it's a dick portrait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
gvonl wrote:
It is gutsy. But Bezos did something that we typically censure people for, so we should also censure him for it even as we laud him for being gutsy. The two things needn't be mutually exclusive.
If he sent a dick pic to another consenting adult (apparently it was his gf?), what's to censure about it*? It's between him and her.

I know our society doesn't work that way with things like that, but we can be better, and say AMI did something awful and Bezos did something great to call their bluff.

*Beyond having a GF while married to someone not ok with that, but we already knew about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton (St. Louis)
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
Aetheros wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:
Dearlove wrote:
Escapade wrote:

Then it's a dick portrait.
Ain't no one wants to see that (except maybe Roger Stone?).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
"Captain, although your abilities intrigue me, you are quite honestly inferior"
mbmbmbmbmb
The ivory tower he erected is now clear for all to see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
windsagio wrote:
*Beyond having a GF while married to someone not ok with that, but we already knew about that.
The timeline is murky, but the relationship may have occurred during Bezos' trial separation. That does make more than a bit of a difference.

It's their personal lives and not criminal in any way. We really shouldn't care.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |