BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Best Solo Campaign rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Carbajal
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
I am newer to board gaming I come from more video gaming. I backed tainted grail but why I am waiting for that to come in I am looking in the mean time to find a game to hold me over until then. I am looking for the best solo campaign game. Preferred the story and theme be strong please let me know if you have any suggestions thank you so much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim woodley
Canada
flag msg tools
mb

Take a look at The Barbarossa Campaign, by VPG.
Variable scenarios, card driven, no dice needed and fairly small for an East Front campaign game.

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Saponaro
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Once the fire is linked, souls will flourish anew, and all of this will play out again.
badge
May you find your worth in the waking world.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep you seem to be looking for Arkham Horror: The Card Game

Check out the shut up and sit down review and then team covanennt videos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Ngui
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Like Gloomhaven?
#1 on BBG list, but check the list you might find something else not as expensive... then again Tainted Grail is up there in price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexngui wrote:
Like Gloomhaven?
Gloomhaven likely offers the best gameplay, but imho, the story isn't that compelling.

Folklore: The Affliction comes with a great storyline, but the tactical combat isn't overly exciting.

Dungeon Degenerates: Hand of Doom is somewhere between the two and a great alternative if you happen to like the unique art style.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend Arkham Horror: The Card Game with a complete cycle. It's quite an investiment but it has a strong narrative, a great campaign, and an incredible amount of replayability if you buy into it.

If you don't care for your money and your sanity, Kingdom Death: Monster is crazy. The narrative is more of you telling your own story, but there are a lot of things to read and enjoy too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Carbajal
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Of those which is the best immersive story experience?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B B

Baldwin City
KS
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Legacy of Dragonholt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian S
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I find the story / experience of This war of mine to be compelling, but not a theme or game for everyone.

Campaigns are nominally split into 3 chapters, of 2-3 hours each, though defeat can come quite fast. Good replayability, and whilst I like it as a small group co-op, many argue it's really a solo game that allows for co-op.

If you've come from video games, then you may have played the video version. I'm told lots of similarities, but a noticeably different experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yfs11six wrote:
Of those which is the best immersive story experience?
Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective

You're essentially doing exactly what your character does, minus the footwork (pipe-smoking is optional). Hard to get more immersive than that.

Brilliant game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolkster
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gloomhaven.

It's the only board game that has got my sons ages 20 and 24 away from online video games. We're on our 23rd scenario. My oldest bought his own copy and plays every Saturday with 2 friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls