Hide
3 Posts

Shadowrun: Crossfire» Forums » Rules

Subject: When does the first scene start? Question relating to Prep Work rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
T C
msg tools
This seems like a silly question, but exactly when does the first scene start, especially relative to the "start" of the game?

I am playing the Prime Runner Edition.

Normally I never pay attention to the exact timing. Players draw their starting hands, the Black Market cards come out, the obstacles come out, and the crossfire card comes out.

But I became interested in the Prep Work upgrade: "At the start of the game, you can buy a card. (Pay its cost and put it into your hand immediately.)"

In this thread: Prep Work Upgrade

the designer confirmed that this happens before the crossfire cards and the first scene. I agree this should happen before the first crossfire card is flipped, but I feel that according to the rules, you should be able to start the first scene (flipping up its obstacles) *before* activating Prep Work.

Perhaps this would make Prep Work OP, especially at only 10 karma.

So I tried to look up the timing in the rulebook and didn't see a good answer to this.

In the Quick Start section, in "The Mission" section, they tell you to start scene 1, flipping up the initial obstacles. After doing this, they say in bold: "Now you're ready to begin playing!"

After that, they describe the round sequence, which includes drawing crossfire cards and players taking their turns.

It seems the timing of "Prep Work" would naturally match the "begin playing" text, i.e., after flipping up the obstacles for scene 1 (and resolving their effects) and before flipping up the first crossfire card.

On the other hand, I was not able to find a clear description of how this works in the full rules. The quick start is only an approximate guide. I didn't see in the full rules exactly when scene 1 is supposed to start, and exactly when you are supposed to play Prep Work.

If the question hadn't been asked and answered in the thread mentioned above, I would have naturally assumed that you flip obstacles, do Prep Work, and then flip crossfire.

Less ambiguous would have been if they had detailed the sequence:
1. Setup
2. Resolve "start of game" effects (like Prep Work)
3. Start scene 1
4. Begin rounds
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When we had Prep Work, we flipped the market, the Prepper bought their choice and then we finished setup (Encounters then Crossfire).

We believe it is intended to be a blind, limited choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
msg tools
byronczimmer wrote:
When we had Prep Work, we flipped the market, the Prepper bought their choice and then we finished setup (Encounters then Crossfire).

We believe it is intended to be a blind, limited choice.
Yes, the game designer confirmed this is the correct way to play.

It makes sense to me too, since my original interpretation would probably have made the upgrade overpowered. Even with this restriction, it seems that Prep Work can be fantastically useful. Unfortunately, I can't get to it yet since I'm only at 10 XP and don't want to give up my 5 XP upgrade.

I especially like the idea of getting a non-basic card in your hand before you have to shuffle the discard pile, which speeds up the time you see this card the second time around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls