Subject: No game should be "best with none" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dennis _
Germany
Halle
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's strange in a semantical but also in a practical way that some games are actually considered "best with none". In some cases like Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island or Dark Souls: The Board Game, the "best with" option for one or two of the player counts is even highlighted. But I guess not reaching 50% makes it a "best with none" game which is weird.

Gets even weirder for games with wide player number ranges. With that many options for your vote, it is not astounding that none of the options for Secrets or Heimlich & Co.doesn't even reach a higher value for "best" than for "recommended". Albeit, I'd still look at those numbers and consider the first game a "best with 6" game and the latter a "best with 5", shouldn't I? In my opinion, BGG algorithm should do so. And I advocate that in a semantical as well as a practical way each game should have a "best with" count. An example for a practical benefit would be the game selection tool https://gameshelf.github.io/ which is not working for the games mentioned above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems plausible in cases where there is a unique highest "best" value which is nonetheless below 50%.

But saying "no game" should be "best with none" seems too strong. What would you do for a game which has no "best" votes, or where the highest "best" votes are equally divided among several (or even all) of the options?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis _
Germany
Halle
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
What would you do for a game which has no "best" votes,...
Is there such a game? That one might be best with none, actually.

russ wrote:
...or where the highest "best" votes are equally divided among several (or even all) of the options?
Make it best with all player counts which got the highest votes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Affensohn wrote:
russ wrote:
What would you do for a game which has no "best" votes,...
Is there such a game? That one might be best with none, actually.
Certainly; probably most games in the BGG database have no player count votes at all. (Just checked by typing in some random/arbitrary game ids.)

Quote:
russ wrote:
...or where the highest "best" votes are equally divided among several (or even all) of the options?
Make it best with all player counts which got the highest votes.
That's one solution, but it raises the question of the intention of "best with". If e.g. a 4-player game is said to "best" with 1, 2, 3, 4 each with 25% level, it seems a bit weird to me to say it is "best" at all player counts (as opposed to simply being "good" at all player counts).

For that matter if the percentages are 25%, 25%, 26%, 24% then saying it's "best with 3 players" seems arguably misleading; that's a barely noticeable statistical blip (the difference between 26% and 25%), and I'd argue that there's no clear reason to highlight 3-player as being especially "best" in that case. Perhaps the requirement should be more than merely the current maximum value. But I don't have a concrete proposal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I honestly think some games are "best with none." whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like a lot of work and consideration for an outlier to outliers... I'll just use my brain and draw a quick conclusion if I stumble upon this semantic trap.

Fixt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carol Carpenter
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This phrase has always bothered me also. It should be something like "Best with TBD" or "Best with (undetermined)"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Best with none" is a sarcastic way of saying the game of low quality and not worth playing.

In most cases, that statement is true for the person making the statement--they may not enjoy it, but that does not necessarily mean others cannot enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rri1 wrote:
"Best with none" is a sarcastic way of saying the game of low quality and not worth playing.

In most cases, that statement is true for the person making the statement--they may not enjoy it, but that does not necessarily mean others cannot enjoy it.
Maybe you're just kidding, but just in case:

It sounds like you misunderstood what the OP was talking about. Sometimes a game's user poll about numbers of players says "Best: none" if none of the player counts received 50% of the votes for that player count.

The BGG user interface is not being sarcastic, and it doesn't necessarily mean that the game is of low quality and not worth playing. It just means that the people who took the poll collectively think that it works similarly well at multiple player counts rather than there being an obvious "best" player count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave, or "Phineas" or "Tolstoy" or,
United States
Mount Holly
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Seems plausible in cases where there is a unique highest "best" value which is nonetheless below 50%.

But saying "no game" should be "best with none" seems too strong. What would you do for a game which has no "best" votes, or where the highest "best" votes are equally divided among several (or even all) of the options?
If both cases, I would suggest simply changing "best with none" to "best with any." Or "best with X,Y,Z" where XYZ is whatever numbers of players are also listed under "good with".

Until there is a clear winner for "best with", it should reflect the opinions of "good with", rather than "best with none", which makes no sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoya wrote:
Or "best with X,Y,Z" where XYZ is whatever numbers of players are also listed under "good with".
Good idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls