Subject: Must kill basic monster to kill boss variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cindy M
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A variant rule that my family plays with is that in order to fight the later monsters in a stack, you must first slay one of the 3 weak monsters on top first. If you don't have one of the weak monsters in that stack you cannot attack the medium to boss monsters at all.

This prevents sniping of bosses and makes situations where you steal a monster from another player interesting because even if you stole a low VP monster you might actually give yourself the chance to fight in a monster stack you couldn't previously.

If someone else has tried this variant and has suggestions or feedback, I'm interested to hear them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my gaming group, we do the same, but only for the big boss of the zone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Valdez
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My gaming group always plays with this variant, moreso similar to how Nick said. Killing the boss gives such a huge advantage, and it feels unfair that someone has to go through the stack with their limited 2 actions for someone else to get to the boss and kill it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martyn
United Kingdom
Teesside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We never worried about it as there’s more ways to win than by killing monsters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you're overflowing with ressources around the end of the game, it's always worth it to kill a big boss, unless your duke has a 2x ressource VP bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy M
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses!

My group uses the requirement of one of the 3 easy monsters because we often play with 4 people, and it makes the monster fighting tighter since 1 person will always be cut out of the running. But I'll definitely think about saying "any monster from the stack" in a fewer players game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaias Vallejo
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like a reasonable house-rule. But Martyn is right, there are several paths to victory and it's best to play to your Duke's strengths than focus on monster killing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabusan
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mb
I think it should be that the boss can only be killed by whoever has most monsters of that type. If you specify it has to be 3, someone can still "snipe" a single weaker monster and then deny a player the opportunity to kill the boss, because they will never have 3?

But also, does not this mean someone can leave the boss unkilled for later, confident no one else can kill the boss, and go for it only wehn it is convenient? (might need the resources for something else that could be grabbed by other player)

Maybe the "only I can kill the boss monster" rule should only last one turn, as soon as the boss monster is revealed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls