3 Posts

Armies of the White Sun» Forums » Variants

Subject: An idea for a variant that could be developed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
R L Moses
China
flag msg tools
This is a very fine and innovative game that demands a great deal from the player—and not a few happy die rolls. If Ty Bomba’s intention is to illustrate how difficult of a task the Japanese Army had in trying to conquer China, he’s accomplished that objective very well indeed. The first-turn requirements to capture all cities east of a line stretching from Wuhan to Shanghai to Peking is onerous, but it also reflects only one interpretation of the Emperor’s decision-making. Archival research by scholars has noted that Hirohito played an active role in military strategy, and could be persuaded to change strategy and objectives if pressed. It would have been interesting to offer the player a variant, in which capturing a minimum number of major cities fulfills the game requirements and then be able to finish the game by rolling on a table that offers the chance of such an outcome (i.e., “Emperor Hirohito agrees that war with China should continue”) and then allows re-rolls in Turns 2 and 3 for the same purpose. The game's design does offer opportunities for other variants (including a more active role for the CCP; the potential for more political intrigue on the Chinese side; and random events from outside China)--testament to the elegance and detail that already resides there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lb
Singapore
Jurong Area
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you gotten many plays of this game in? And... have you ever gotten past Turn 1?

I have had two plays so far - neither of them have gotten anywhere near the Turn 1 objective lines. I've talked to four other owners of this game and only one has ever made it past that first hurdle.

I am always curious to know if others have been having better luck than I have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R L Moses
China
flag msg tools
A few plays, and thought it needed a variant in part because I could never get past the first turn and wondered how one could.

I understand the reason the designer fashioned the game the way he did, but it does demand an enormous amount from the player--historically accurate in the sense that it play out that way, but there is some evidence that Hirohito and the Army General Staff might have been satisfied in the first part of the campaign with fewer cities and less casualties.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls