Subject: Why are there no Minis for the Characters? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mario Engel
Germany
Cham
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Can somebody explain to me, why there are no character miniatures? I could not find any answer to that. Seems pretty odd, to have minis, but not for the player characters. That would be 10 minis (5 good and 5 bad versions), which would be an amazing and not too expensive add on. Even Rahdo was bothered by that. I was sure the second kickstarter would have a solution for that. Clearly not every game needs miniatures, but to have some but not for the playable characters is mystyifing me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikkel Øberg
Denmark
Gundsømagle
flag msg tools
badge
Ahh, you found me... Run!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's an extremely expensive addon, ten unique models is quite the expense. I don't know why people keep thinking that miniatures are cheap to design, produce and quality control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bone White
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's already enough unnecesary mini-bloat in this game already, especially with the Guilds & Monuments expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Engel
Germany
Cham
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Gregaria wrote:
It's an extremely expensive addon, ten unique models is quite the expense. I don't know why people keep thinking that miniatures are cheap to design, produce and quality control.
I realize that minis are not cheap to produce, and maybe I phrased incorrectly. But there are 5 unique miniatures for the monuments. I don't get why those get minis before the player characters. Which by my understanding would be much more important. This is by no means criticism, or demand of those minis, just a simple question why it is that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Engel
Germany
Cham
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Bone White wrote:
There's already enough unnecesary mini-bloat in this game already, especially with the Guilds & Monuments expansion.
Well that's debatable. But if the game has minis, why not start with the player characters, which seems the obvious choice. That is all I want to know, since everybody in my gaming group is asking that question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudius Moeller
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
mb
ninjaru wrote:
Gregaria wrote:
I realize that minis are not cheap to produce, and maybe I phrased incorrectly. But there are 5 unique miniatures for the monuments. I don't get why those get minis before the player characters. Why by my understanding would be much more important. This is by no means criticism, or demand of those minis, just a simple question why it is that way.
Seconded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Soares
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why do you want minis that you can actually use, when you have some really cool ones that'll stay on the side of the board for the entire game? :|
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bone White
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PEdorido wrote:
Why do you want minis that you can actually use, when you have some really cool ones that'll stay on the side of the board for the entire game? :|
They won't in the expansion announced in the current KS, but actually occupy the board for a specific effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
noah caldwell
United States
galt
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dosent the expansion offer standees ? Or are those used for something else ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The creators have explained why they didn't use minis for the characters in a recent live chat. They said there isn't really space enough on the board for player minis. The spaces where the players move there pieces (the triangles between hexes) is pretty small and minis would crowd the spaces and the board. You could try this out yourself with minis from another game. I haven't done so myself but it seems pretty reasonable to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yves St-Denis
Switzerland
Basel
BS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Think of it this way: the token which represents you on the board is the emblem of your team, and that is, of you, all your companions and the relics you carry. It would be unfair if it only represented you as a character!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Tom Casual
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
YJASTD wrote:

Think of it this way: the token which represents you on the board is the emblem of your team, and that is, of you, all your companions and the relics you carry. It would be unfair if it only represented you as a character!
Ooh! This is super fun! I love this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yves St-Denis
Switzerland
Basel
BS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
YJASTD wrote:

... and eventually, your pets!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Gerac
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
davbart wrote:
The creators have explained why they didn't use minis for the characters in a recent live chat. They said there isn't really space enough on the board for player minis. The spaces where the players move there pieces (the triangles between hexes) is pretty small and minis would crowd the spaces and the board. You could try this out yourself with minis from another game. I haven't done so myself but it seems pretty reasonable to me.
100% this. No way standard size minis could fit in the small movement places. I also can’t understand the shade on the monuments miniatures that were in no way, shape, or form required for the base game. In fact you had to pay extra on the first campaign just to get them (therefore completely optional)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian L
United States
Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember the very first KS campaign for this game (which was cancelled) had minis for the player characters, but the minis were just flags. There's definitely not enough space for a full character model and if it's just going to be something simple like a flag, I think the standees work better.

Also, heavy metal. goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls