5 Posts

Western Legends» Forums » Variants

Subject: 2 actions instead of 3 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
PAC PAC
France
flag msg tools
To decrease downtime I was thinking of maybe doing only 2 actions during your turn instead of 3 .

Has someone tried to use 2 actions instead of 3 ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't that interfere with the Outlaw's LPs per round? He would get more than with 3 actions.

However, I encountered no significant downtime in the game (though I have only played it with 3 and 4 players yet).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorfinn Skullsplitter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. Unless your group spends an inordinate amount of time pondering what to do with that third action, cutting down to two isn't going to do that much.

If I have a complaint about having three actions, it's using all three to move. Particularly with cattle. The designers have clearly never herded cattle. Trust me, if you've moved a herd fifteen spaces in one turn something's gone horribly wrong, and they're not arriving to market in the most profitable condition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoltán Dudás
Hungary
flag msg tools
Yup, it will definitely unbalance things. Wanted players gaining more LP. Every person would gain more cards/money relative to actions done on the board. Players would be easier targets as they are less likely to get stuff -> move -> deposit/use up in a single turn.

Also keep in mind that there is a fine line between reducing downtime for non-active players and keeping the active player's turn meaningful. Turns maybe quicker, on the other hand you might feel that you didnt really do anything impactful.
Taking away a third of your actions makes a lot of combos and activities less likely to be played out. Such as: mine nugget -> move -> deposit. Take cattle -> move -> move. Deposit money -> move -> buy stuff.
Playing a card from hand will take away half of your actions.

Also bookkeeping activities of taking card/money at start, discarding down to handsize, resolving story cards, gain points from wanted track etc will still happen. So the speed gain may not be substantial.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having just 1 action and then getting rewards every 3rd round... I wonder how that wud work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls