11 Posts

Nemesis» Forums » Rules

Subject: Noise rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Williams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I am waiting for my copy as I went all in with sundrop and chose one delivery. Can anyone tell me how feasible it would be to house-rule that, if all corridors have a noise token, you can spend two cards when moving to remove a chosen token before rolling the noise die? I know that two cards are normally used to choose which corridor gets the noise token, but I thought that it would give a bit of hope to a doomed crew. What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Sena
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Personally, I think it would make things way too easy.

(Edited to add the below):

Our first game we didn't understand the Careful movement rule and thought if you spent 2 cards you didn't have to put a noise token down at all. We had a nice run through the ship, an alien spawned at the end (Bag Evolution will get you every time) but other then that it was a pretty uneventful trip.

The more we played, the better we understood, the more difficult the game becomes... That said, out of about 6 games or so I don't think we have had a mission yet that was a complete failure. Our last game was probably the closest, but half the crew still made it out.

That said, we have been playing 2p co-op, with 2 characters each. Looking forward to playing semi-coop with other people, I am sure that will ramp up the difficulty a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Papa Karlo
msg tools
mbmb
I think it'll just mess up the game dynamic.

Now when you move you need to consider:
-Chance of encounter
-Number of cards to defend from a surprise attack
-Availability of cards that helps you to withdraw from enemy (suppressing fire, smoke grenade etc.)

I think with current rules player has enough things to consider, he can make a solid decision, take a risk and see the result.

And remember, even if all corridors have noise you still can roll Silence or Danger. In most cases it means you still have 20% chance to not trigger an encounter.

Your idea grants player another option that influence two main aspects of encounter (chance of it and your card count). I don't know how you prefer your games, but in my opinion it's a little too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that change would make the game too easy, because with careful play, you could always avoid getting encounters and no intruders would ever make it onto the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if you remove a noise token from one corridor, you are more likely than not going to roll an encounter anyway and that extra card will have been completely wasted. I don't think this really makes things any easier. This option sounds like more of a trap than anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Toxic
United Kingdom
Belper
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game's great, don't panic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Strzyzewski
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
WhoDat wrote:
I am waiting for my copy as I went all in with sundrop and chose one delivery. Can anyone tell me how feasible it would be to house-rule that, if all corridors have a noise token, you can spend two cards when moving to remove a chosen token before rolling the noise die? I know that two cards are normally used to choose which corridor gets the noise token, but I thought that it would give a bit of hope to a doomed crew. What do you think?
I think you should play the game before trying to implement any house rules. That said 2 cards to remove noise is to cheap. You effectively remove careful movement from the game. It should either be 2 cards and you don't get to move, or 3 cards to love and discard a noise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think some people are missing that you still have to roll for noise with your variant. Seems like a reasonable addition that wouldn't break anything. You'd have to play test it to be sure.

The biggest concern I would have is if it makes it too easy to prevent noise from building up in the early game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Williams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Arkard1 wrote:
WhoDat wrote:
I think you should play the game before trying to implement any house rules. That said 2 cards to remove noise is to cheap. You effectively remove careful movement from the game. It should either be 2 cards and you don't get to move, or 3 cards to love and discard a noise.
I know I haven't played the game and that is why I asked how feasible it is and what you think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oden Dee
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've had friends ask me how to mitigate noise since in other games they have been able to remove noise. Even I have wondered, I wish there was a way to clear that technical corridors noise.

It is essential that Intruders get spawned, a lot of mechanics rely on it. You can still escape them. You need to take damage so you can heal using locations or items. Event cards need Intruders on the board so the move Intruder component comes into play. When Intruders start popping up the game gets even more exciting.

Aftermath expansion adds a few little manipulating noise tricks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you roll an encounter you remove all of the adjacent noise, which includes the technical corridor. It's not like it is permanently noisy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls