Recommend
7 
 Thumb up
 Hide
27 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Women and Gaming

Subject: TGIF Women & Gaming Poll #444: Vroom Vroom rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
kat costa
United States
Larkspur
California
flag msg tools
badge
Yup.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the 444th TGIF poll, live and exclusive to the Women & Gaming forum. This poll is meant for voters who identify as female and/or gender diverse. If you identify as male, please take this week's general poll instead.


Let’s do a poll about racing games.

Poll
Have you ever played a racing game?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Yes
81.0% 64
No
19.0% 15
Voters 79
Do you tend to enjoy racing games?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
I love them!
0% 0
Yes, I like them
0% 0
They're fine...
0% 0
I don't generally care for racing games
0% 0
I can’t stand racing games; I will almost never play one
0% 0
I told you, I've never played one.
0% 0
Voters 78
If you enjoy racing games, what do you like about them?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
I like things that go vroom.
0% 0
I like being in the lead.
0% 0
I like surprising others by coming from behind.
0% 0
I like the take-that factor (placing obstacles in opponents' paths, etc).
0% 0
I like the challenge of maneuvering around obstacles / solving problems.
0% 0
I like never knowing what might happen because of the hidden information.
0% 0
I like being a savvy investor and raking in the cash from my bets.
0% 0
For some other reason.
0% 0
Not sure, I just do.
0% 0
Voters 48
What do you think of these racing games?
  Good Meh Bad Vote Count
Automobiles % () % () % () 12
Daytona 500 % () % () % () 2
Downforce % () % () % () 13
Flamme Rouge % () % () % () 20
Formula D % () % () % () 22
Formula Dé % () % () % () 10
Grand Prix % () % () % () 7
Jamaica % () % () % () 17
Monza % () % () % () 4
Race! Formula 90 % () % () % () 3
Rallyman % () % () % () 7
Speed Circuit % () % () % () 7
Thunder Alley % () % () % () 7
Top Race % () % () % () 3
Hey! You forgot the best racing game! % () % () % () 23
Total Voters 55
Which of these non-vehicular games do you consider to be a ‘Racing’ game?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Camel Up
0% 0
Cartagena
0% 0
Get Bit!
0% 0
Karuba
0% 0
Robo Rally
0% 0
A different game not included here
0% 0
None of these
0% 0
Voters 58
Do you watch (or participate in) racing sports in real life?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Yes, with gusto
0% 0
Sometimes
0% 0
Not so much
0% 0
Never
0% 0
Voters 78
This poll is now closed.   79 answers
Poll created by kataclysm
Closes: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:00 am


If you enjoy these kinds of polls, you can subscribe to the TGIF Women & Gaming Poll Subscription Thread.

Discussion: Encouraged generally.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lizzie
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
“Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.” ― G.K. Chesterton
badge
A Hug a Day keeps the Doctor away!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone else played Snow Tails?
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caysi
United States
Newport
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
"There is an infinite amount of stars in that beautiful mind of yours. Go Explore." -unknown
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite one is The Great Space Race
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Where`s PitchCar?

The Downfall of Pompeii has a race-y feel about it when the lava flow starts.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Steampunk Rally is my favorite racing/(literal) engine building game.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Jasper
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
flaeryn wrote:
Steampunk Rally is my favorite racing/(literal) engine building game.
That’s one that interests me a little because of the theme. But I don’t think race games are really my thing.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DonkeyJay wrote:
flaeryn wrote:
Steampunk Rally is my favorite racing/(literal) engine building game.
That’s one that interests me a little because of the theme. But I don’t think race games are really my thing.
They aren't really my thing either.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kat costa
United States
Larkspur
California
flag msg tools
badge
Yup.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Elida wrote:
Where`s PitchCar?
PitchCar was included in the poll when I began making it. I don't know how it disappeared!! It's the only game on the list that I like.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julie W
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I don't understand what racing games are. Aren't Sorry! and Trouble racing games but with plain pieces instead of cars or bikes? Is Snakes & Ladders a racing game? Moving your pieces to an end point on a board with some hazards along the way?

Halp. blush
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kat costa
United States
Larkspur
California
flag msg tools
badge
Yup.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mllejules wrote:
I think I don't understand what racing games are. Aren't Sorry! and Trouble racing games but with plain pieces instead of cars or bikes? Is Snakes & Ladders a racing game? Moving your pieces to an end point on a board with some hazards along the way?

Halp. blush
So according to the page for BGG's racing category,

Racing games often involve players in a form of race, where the objective is to be the first to reach a checkpoint, usually by having greater speed and/or control than your opponents. Although many games in which players attempt to reach a particular goal more quickly than other players are described as Racing games (e.g., Dominion), this Category specifically refers to racing that also includes some element of steering, by which players navigate their piece(s) around obstacles which generally stay on the board from the start.

So I kind of went with a vehicle theme for my questions, going off the word "steering."
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lizzie
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
“Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.” ― G.K. Chesterton
badge
A Hug a Day keeps the Doctor away!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
flaeryn wrote:
Steampunk Rally is my favorite racing/(literal) engine building game.
How did I forget that!!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
I'm getting the impression that I shouldn't have counted Odin's Ravens when considering my answers.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kat costa
United States
Larkspur
California
flag msg tools
badge
Yup.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Burnham wrote:
I'm getting the impression that I shouldn't have counted Odin's Ravens when considering my answers.
Well, it DOES have obstacles (terrain changing for the worse, and that wooden thing you have to spend 3 cards to get past), and you DO have to react to those obstacles to reach the goal... although reaching it doesn't guarantee you the win since the winner is determined by victory points, if I remember correctly.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Gallagher
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Clank! In! Space!

Racing to get the treasure, then getting out without dying!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa Swanson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Elida wrote:
Where`s PitchCar?

The Downfall of Pompeii has a race-y feel about it when the lava flow starts.
In The Downfall of Pompeii I really love throwing meeples into the volcano! Does that make me a bad person? whistle
6 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sanasai Glissando
msg tools
mbmbmb
Win, Place, and Show Win, Place & Show is the one I've played most. Something about racing games brings out my inner 8 year old. Horses whinny, cars vroom, and pieces all have "personalities" and histories with each other. I don't usually play with serious bettors, wouldn't mix well. I just can't seem to take racing games seriously, they're all about free-play time.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brie
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
HuggableHamster wrote:
Anyone else played Snow Tails?
It's my favorite racing game.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Odin's Ravens (Second Edition)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
All of these are oldies (out-of-print) but goodies.

Quote:
Hey! You forgot the best racing game!
BattleCars
Although this is technically an "arena-type" game, it can also be played as a race game.





Quote:
A different game not included here
Demon's Run



Circus Maximus
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"What do you mean, I can't pay in Meeples?"
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
The closest thing I've played to a racing game (and I don't think it qualifies as there's no steering) is The Quest for El Dorado.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liallan G
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Melissa0366 wrote:

In The Downfall of Pompeii I really love throwing meeples into the volcano! Does that make me a bad person? whistle
Of course not! That's the highlight of the game.

(Though I don't consider it a racing game. It's not about who gets out "first.")
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic R
Spain
Tomares (Seville)
flag msg tools
badge
Pure mathematics is the world's best game. It is more absorbing than chess, more of a gamble than poker, and lasts longer than Monopoly. It's free. It can be played anywhere - Archimedes did it in a bathtub
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kataclysm wrote:
Mllejules wrote:
I think I don't understand what racing games are. Aren't Sorry! and Trouble racing games but with plain pieces instead of cars or bikes? Is Snakes & Ladders a racing game? Moving your pieces to an end point on a board with some hazards along the way?

Halp. blush
So according to the page for BGG's racing category,

Racing games often involve players in a form of race, where the objective is to be the first to reach a checkpoint, usually by having greater speed and/or control than your opponents. Although many games in which players attempt to reach a particular goal more quickly than other players are described as Racing games (e.g., Dominion), this Category specifically refers to racing that also includes some element of steering, by which players navigate their piece(s) around obstacles which generally stay on the board from the start.

So I kind of went with a vehicle theme for my questions, going off the word "steering."
So Hare & Tortoise is not a racing game? odd. I that game you can adjust your speed, so maybe that is the steering (going faster/slower, not left or right). That game and PitchCar are the main absences of this poll, which is a great poll, by the way
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
American in Chile
Chile
Temuco
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Steampunk Rally
Rush & Bash
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Siobhan Beeman
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't think I cared for racing games... then I realized that I've played and like about half the ones on that list. Chiming in with another thumbs up for Snow Tails, which is tied for favorite racing game for me with Mississippi Queen.

[edit: Ooh, if Lewis & Clark counts as a racing game then I wish to revise and extend my earlier remarks, because that's one of my favorite games across all genres.]
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agnieszka
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Snow Tails and Lewis & Clark for me
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |