Popular Tags: [View All]
Caleb Bunch
United States
Massapequa
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations to BoardGameGeek for reaching two million users! BGG has truly been one of the greatest causes of the board game boom in the past few years as geeks like us have been able to find one another and as publishers and designers can get their games noticed.

As a celebration, I am asking for you to share your favorite things about BGG. It could be a general aspect of the site, or it could be a specific memory, thread, Geeklist, or event (or anything else site related).

In around a month I will select one of the entries to win 100GG. I don't have any specific criteria that I am looking for. I just want to be an encouragement to Scott Alden and the gang.

[Please feel free to tip gg towards that will go to the prize, but I have plenty so please do not feel any obligation to do so.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
User created player aids.

This is almost always the first thing I look for for a new game.
Usually much better and more useful than the ones included.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Bunch
United States
Massapequa
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicholas M wrote:
User created player aids.

This is almost always the first thing I look for for a new game.
Usually much better and more useful than the ones included.
This is truly a major benefit to BGG. I print these off all the time. And even when I don't, I still regularly read through the files to see how people present the information so I can become a better game teacher.
Do you have a favorite player aid that you have found?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Yatsco
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love BGG. All of the geek lists and advice. Cool community...I am still very new and totally hooked. I've always played "games" on ipad before and loved TTR and Carc. When I was thinking of buying the physical versions, this site popped up and I've been on everyday since. Thank you BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Yatsco
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TeeJz wrote:
I love BGG. All of the geek lists and advice. Cool community...I am still very new and totally hooked. I've always played "games" on ipad before and loved TTR and Carc. When I was thinking of buying the physical versions, this site popped up and I've been on everyday since. Thank you BGG.
Oh and agree with user files stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, my favorite file is Nit Picker 7 Ages.
But that's not really the kind of player aid I was talking about.
The stuff from
Universal Head
New Zealand
Nelson
flag msg tools
designer
Professional creative visual communication: www.universalhead.com
badge
Game summaries and reference sheets: www.headlesshollow.com
mbmbmbmbmb
is always excellent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
I love the game forums where people can talk about specifically targeted games and have meaningful conversations about rules and strategies. Especially with games that someone would not necessarily be accustomed to playing. With 2 Million users gaming will go on forever and ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have a lot of opportunity to play before I buy, so being able to research games thoroughly is a must. BGG is the one stop shop where I can find everything I need to make my game-buying decisions. Not very exciting, but invaluable all the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mb

This is one of the only communities to which I feel like I can belong.

That's why I love it here, and that's why I keep coming back. modest

~V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like most of the community and especially in the PIFF geeklist and 4G thread. Great people can be found there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Bunch
United States
Massapequa
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DraedGhawl wrote:
I like most of the community and especially in the PIFF geeklist and 4G thread. Great people can be found there!
Just so others can be sure to find them, here are the links to the above mentioned threads.
Pay it Forward First (PIFF) — Spreading Board Game Geek Love
The Great Geek Game Giveaway (4G) - Thread III
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lord Zero
United States
Lima
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Forums, and anytime I have a rule question, I can usually find a clarification or discussion on it here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
- Logging plays
- Women & Gaming Forum where we chat about what we've played and stuff
- New-to-me geeklists
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like being able to subscribe to a game I am interested in and then getting notified about every new bit of information, rules questions, reviews etc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Hoiland
United States
Sidney
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The community is my favorite part. I enjoy being able reference rules discussions, and it's amazing to me how many game designers are on the site to answer questions directly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Balley
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I now participate more in the community, and I really appreciate it. But my favorite thing about BGG is its function as a gateway to gaming. Catan was my gateway game, but it wouldn't have been a gateway on its own.

Catan made me wonder what else was out there, and this site allowed me to find what else was out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlene
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much every game I've bought has been because I've been able to hear of it and research it here. I can see at a glance if a game is for me through the weight/player count/etc ratings and then I can go onto individual games pages and forums to find out more. There is always a good few people there that'll help you as much as they can. Then there are all the videos of playthroughs and tutorials, written reviews, unboxings, pretty much every single thing you could possibly need to know about a game before buying it. It has certainly helped me buy games that I end up liking with only a few that don't click, thanks to the wealth of information available here.

I also need to mention that I was very lucky one year to have an excellent replacement Secret Santa who went way above and beyond what was expected. She found out loads about me then sent me loads of gifts alongside the games. Then she did it again the next year even though she wasn't my secret santa and then AGAIN last year around summertime for no reason other than to be ridiculously kind. I genuinely don't know of another website in the world where you'd find people like that.

I'm currently participating in my first maths trade and it has been amazing so far. Again, lots of really helpful people, sooo many traders and lots of step-by-step guides to ease you through the first time. I can't wait to see what I end up trading for!

I love bgg!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anna Alber

New Haven
Connecticut
msg tools
mb
When I'm deciding whether to buy a new game, I really appreciate being able to see not only all of the text and video reviews by BGG users and well-known critics, but also all of the comments people have made about the game. User comments are great because they're succinct and often reflect a person's evolving relationship with a game in their collection over a longer period of time. Professional critics, by contrast, are generally only able to give their first impressions of a title they've played only a handful of times. The only time you really get the "long" perspective is by watching critics' top 10 lists. Moreover, as a person who is new to board gaming, it is taking quite awhile to discover my own tastes and triangulate them against those of well-known critics, so comparing my collection and ratings against those of another user who makes thoughtful comments about a game I'm interested in can help me decide whether to take the plunge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Baker
msg tools
I like big games and I cannot lie
mbmbmbmbmb
The share the love side of the forum feels like a warm blanket.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love so much; it is overwheling how much useful information is catalogued on BGG. That said, I love the guilds I am a part of. Getting to know the individuals over the years is really cool, and feels like a little family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pwned Pawn
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are many things I love about BGG. Right now, I am loving this geeklist: Board game boxes made better with Dwayne Johnson
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Pickel

Dubuque
Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like how active designers are in the forums, answering questions and providing support.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark of the Beast
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The collective wealth of knowledge. It's great that I can easily find info, ratings, name changes/variations/expansions,etc. So quickly and easily. That comes with everyone working together to create a knowledge base.

I'm also always impressed with the generosity here (Like this geeklist)

Great job everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
American in Chile
Chile
Temuco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to the rules forums, I really like all the annual challenges. They give me a reason to play different games, rather than "I don't know, what do you want to play?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoe
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My mum directed me to BGG when I mentioned I was thinking about getting some board games to play with my husband. Her words: “I could recommend some games for you, but you’re better off just signing up to BGG”. She was right, of course.

So I guess what I love most about BGG is that a woman in her late 60s can feel comfortable using the website and being involved in the community here, so much so that she will recommend it unreservedly to her friends and family.

It’s rare to find a place like that on the Internet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |