Subject: compared to Evolution? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert A.
United States
Naples
Florida
flag msg tools
I got the impression this was alot like Evolution. I have not played Wingspan yet, just saw videos. Could someone that has played both let me know what they think. I do like birds though, ALOT. So maybe its worth getting just for the bird factor---what do you think?
thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Moore
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played Evolution a couple of times (Wingspan about 6 times). I do not feel a direct similarity. Evolution has a lot more interaction in terms of how much/little food you create each round and attacking other players.

As Jamey noted, Wingspan is intentionally designed not to attack other players. Although you might say Evolution has some engine building in terms of aggregating traits for your species, Wingspan is pure engine building. Two thirds of your turns (other third is playing birds to your tableau) are activating the actions associated with a series of birds. Plus, 20%+/- of your score in Wingspan is fulfilling private bonus cards and competing over public round bonuses.

Wingspan is definitely less stressful. It is a pleasant journey to build your puzzle. The production is well done aside from first version errors. So if you like birds it still may be of interest to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drtrigger wrote:
I've only played Evolution a couple of times (Wingspan about 6 times). I do not feel a direct similarity. Evolution has a lot more interaction in terms of how much/little food you create each round and attacking other players.
Yep, Evolution is much more confrontational. Not a good or bad thing necessarily--it just is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter - Bits77
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Other than some very loose thematic similarities (having a tableau of animals, and having areas that represent environments), I see no similarity at all.

But, I only played Evolution once, and haven't tried any of its expansions, as I found the game to be an utter disappointment. I had high hopes for it, as biological themes are very attractive to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krista Cox
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
little kitty wrote:
I got the impression this was alot like Evolution. I have not played Wingspan yet, just saw videos. Could someone that has played both let me know what they think. I do like birds though, ALOT. So maybe its worth getting just for the bird factor---what do you think?
thanks
I’ve played Evolution/ Evolution Climate 30 times combined and Wingspan 10 times. I don’t feel there is any real similarity to them other than the thematic aspect of the cards. Definitely worth having both in your collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've owned/played both Evolution (Flight + Climate) as well as Wingspan.

Aside from being card based tableau builders, they offer very little in similarity. Evolution is about direct player conflict, whether it be through predatory feeding or chaining powers to maximize your food intake. Your creatures grow, adapt, and are often killed/replaced. The game can be very mean and unforgiving, which led us to selling Evolution.

Wingspan is a euro engine builder, based off of points gained from variable round goals, secret objectives, and cards played. Wingspan is entirely indirect confrontation through what food/birds you take. The game is much more about building and honing a single engine, rather than several smaller ones.

Looking at your ratings, I can tell you that Evolution is much closer to your only positive rating (Unfair). It has a lot of the same elements - growing and evolving several different creatures / attractions and doing your best to mitigate predators / climate changes / events. They both have similar levels of take-that and direct confrontation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijlof
Netherlands
Amersfoort
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own and like both games. The only thing they really have in common in truly stunning art. Beautiful games. Bug gameplay feels completely different.

Evolution has much more (direct) player interaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two entirely different games. It’s like asking someone Steak or Ahi Tuna.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike P
Australia
Bunbury
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
little kitty wrote:
thanks
It has cards.

That’s about the only similarity.

We sold Evolution after one play because it was so “take that”.

Wingspan only left our table for the first time last night because we need to learn something else for a gaming event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Matt
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sorry but evolution is harsh. The species in reality have to compete or adapt or they die. Can't go more close to reality than that . Schools and unis use it as introduction to evolution.it's kind of funny how people want scientific and realistic representation but then want a carebear approach.nature isnt handholding anybody

They both say they are scientific and card games . So they super related . Just one skips a big part of reality. I hope for a expansion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Bennetts
United Kingdom
Wellington
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimstringer wrote:
Sorry but evolution is harsh. The species in reality have to compete or adapt or they die. Can't go more close to reality than that . Schools and unis use it as introduction to evolution.it's kind of funny how people want scientific and realistic representation but then want a carebear approach.nature isnt handholding anybody

They both say they are scientific and card games . So they super related . Just one skips a big part of reality. I hope for a expansion
Wingspan isn't about evolution so the idea of "Survival of the fittest" isn't relevant here. Although there's no player conflict in the game it's not entirely "carebear" there are birds that capture (and presumably eat) other birds in the game, as well as small mammals being one of the food types.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Matt
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmb
it was for the people praising scientific representation but not liking the reality part of it, being harsh and cutthroat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls