United States
Columbia
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2-4 players, Competitive, Deck Builder, Expansion

Purpose of Expansion—

This expansion basically just adds more to the already great base game. More cards, more tokens all around and a whole new board you can use. But here’s the thing, along with the MORE you also have some changes, which I honestly don’t prefer.

The Additions –

You get a new double sided board which adds some new artifacts and a new mummy mechanic complete with a mummy wooden mini. You also get a new wooden dragon to replace your old dragon mini if you so choose. Also a new batch of cards to add to your base Clank deck for use with this expansion and some new major and minor secret tokens.

The Changes –

This is the part that I am always leery about when it comes to expansions. Usually with an expansion it will try to accomplish one of three things: either it will just add more to the base game, incorporate some changes to the base game to alter it somehow or it will completely change the base game to basically create a totally different gaming experience altogether.

This expansion went for the second option to alter the base game a tad. And let me be clear, I hold no bias towards any particular type of expansion. I think all varieties can and have made games better, it’s just a slippery slope when you are messing with tried and true mechanics already. In this expansions case I don’t think the alterations that are made are worthwhile.

Firstly the cards you get with this expansion. Most of them are themed to utilize the new mummy movement mechanic, BUT you have to mix them up with your core game cards which is where the problem lies. If you mix the entire core deck up with these you will see them very rarely as there are a TON of cards with the core game. So it has been mentioned to cut the deck in half and put half the core cards back in the box and then mix in the new cards. This WILL solve the problem and you will see the new mummy cards more often which lends to a more interesting expansion play. However there are so many unique and great cards in the core set that it's a shame you have to box half of the deck to solve this. Not only that, but once you mix these up if you ever want to use the App to play a solo game again you have to sort through all the cards and take out the mummy ones as the mummy expansion is not supported in the app (yet).

The mummy mechanic is interesting but the randomness of the moves it makes which add negative point values to you isn't really my cup of tea. I do really like the new double sided board though. Very nice images and artwork.

Final Thoughts –

It's really hard to complain about this expansion as you really do get SO much for the price and what it adds does alter the game enough to have a new unique experience, but I think I will continue to just play with the base game going forward.

BGG Score: 6
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Wickdawg01's Review of Clank!: The Mummy's Curse
I really wanted to like this expansion because I love the Ancient Egypt theme, but also wound up feeling underwhelmed with the mummy movement and randomness within (it tended to favor a single player more than the other), and the curse tiles were just sort of 'meh' in practice (pretty easy to dump, actually, or ignore entirely in favor of net points gain per turn doing other functions).

I vastly prefer the Sunken Treasure expansion as it adds new elements without such a significant deviation from gameplay!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls