Magic Realm» Forums » General

Subject: Getting the Most out of Solo rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: mrjr_rsp [+] mr_boq [+] [View All]
Alex
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Probably most of you have seen my flurry of recent posts. but I'm wondering what would folks here recommend as far as rules, party sizes, or whatever you can think of to get the most out of playing this game solo?

I like the idea of a more open ended game which is more focused on the adventure more so than getting this this and this done in 30 days.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Tieman
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
designer
Gamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite has been controlling one or two characters, and giving them a specific objective in a time period. Sometimes I make it up, but usually I refer to the Book of Quests (in the files section). It’s an amazing resource, and even if I don’t use it exactly as written, it has tested ideas to use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like taking 2 or 3 characters out at once, either as a party or individually, using solo starts or not (meaning buildings off map or on) and then using weather rules.

Weather in the realm is fun!

My very favorite was a Woods Girl and White Knight game where they both struggled towards each other while pulling off some lucky feats of escape. Finally they came together at just the right time to creat synergy and reap great treasures. And yes, they ended the game at the chapel where they both scored, ahem, positive points for the victory after a sell off to the Order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to make this an open ended game and compare against how fast I was able to get to positive points as opposed to seeing where I am after 4 weeks.

This means the seasons come and go each month.

This allows me to play to win first, then play to win better in following games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As mentioned, take a look at The Book of Quests.

You could also try to play a character using Magic to exchant some tiles, 1 from each group. This should be done in a clearing in the center of the tile, not on the edge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
These are great ideas guys. I need to start using the weather rules, and looking into the book of quests.

Anyone have any luck using the extended development rules? Starting with the base stats and leveling up? This sounds like it would give more of a campaign feel to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just pick 2 characters and see how well they work together. In realmspeak just keep clicking more months and ignore the score. Just play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
Alex wrote:
These are great ideas guys. I need to start using the weather rules, and looking into the book of quests.
As an example (a somewhat extreme example, perhaps), see this session report of a Book of Quests game that I played solo:

Magic Realm for Fanatics
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1810145/magic-realm-fan...

If you want to quickly review all of threads that discuss the Book of Quests variant, just click on this tag:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/tag/mr_boq/user/richfam

Alex wrote:
Anyone have any luck using the extended development rules? Starting with the base stats and leveling up? This sounds like it would give more of a campaign feel to the game.
My group tried the extended development rules, but we gave up after a couple of games. The development rules *sound* good, but characters develop slowly and we found the prospect of playing 10 or more games in a row with the same character to be completely unappealing. If the prospect of playing the same character over and over doesn't faze you, then you might enjoy the development game.

What we did instead was to add the development aspects to some of the Quests in the BoQ. So while there's no development per se in the BoQ, there are Quests where you may/must play at something other than Level 4. That gave us the variety of the different levels, without the tedium of constantly playing the same character over and over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bechard
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to chime in and mention that if you want to try a solo character on their own, the witch is a blast. My favorite character. Though I've yet to try the book of quests, must give that a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kuyler lang
United States
College Place
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo? Play Munchkin Realm.

Take one character, find a good treasure. Sell it to the Order. Hire most of the Order. Use the Order to kill the rest of the Order. Take the loot. Sell it to the rogues. Kill them. Take the loot. Rinse and repeat for every native group. Profit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
spoonman wrote:
Solo? Play Munchkin Realm.

Take one character, find a good treasure. Sell it to the Order. Hire most of the Order. Use the Order to kill the rest of the Order. Take the loot. Sell it to the rogues. Kill them. Take the loot. Rinse and repeat for every native group. Profit.
Haha, so I wasn't the first one to just go around trying to kill all the natives. Actually, I was curious about this. It seems like if you can pull off killing a group of natives its way more profitable then killing monsters and trying to loot treasure sites. Is this so? Right now I'm way more focused on this in my play throughs than doing the latter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You may kill the natives, but i read somewhere, that killing their leader (HQ) you cannot take any horse as those have run off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
that must be either first edition or some variant, cause the way it works is that horses are considered the same as treasure... unless you are talking about the horses they are riding. The horses they are riding die in combat in order to take out the natives. If using advanced combat you may kill the rider without killing the horse, but in that case the horses are inaccessible, assumed to have run away. But that has nothing to do with whether or not you kill the HQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Horses are awesome, but not so much when your fighting natives riding them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quantum_Jack wrote:
that must be either first edition or some variant,
Could be, as that was the first rule book (with the copy I have) I read. Later I had to read 2nd Ed. rule book to see the changes made; some good (disappearance of Monsters on the 7th Day when active (but preferably at Sunset, not at Daybreak)), some bad (combat after Sunset, really?).

EDIT:
But on the horses: IMHO I think thayt is a good rule, not being available to loot after killing the HQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel T.
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
ACBez wrote:
I was curious about this. It seems like if you can pull off killing a group of natives its way more profitable then killing monsters and trying to loot treasure sites. Is this so?
It is so vary "so" that the watchful natives optional rule was created and is used by most grognards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
I read through the rules on watchful natives, but simply how does it work? I don't quite understand which natives it effects and how it makes them more challenging.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Schacher

Spring
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmb
Basically, if you target any non-hired native in your clearing, the rest of that native group will move to your character sheet.

So, if on day 1 you stay at the Inn and then target a Rogue in round 1, the rest of the Rouges will be battling you and move to your sheet. If you use a hired native to attack an unhired native, that targeted native will battle your hired native, but the rest of the natives in that group will move to your character's sheet, not the hired native's sheet.

Exceptions are for attacking hired natives. If you attack another character's hired native, any unhired native in that clearing will not attack you. Back to the Inn, if a character hires Rouge 7 during the day and then you decide to try to kill Rouge 7 in the evening, the rest of the Rogues will leave you alone.

Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Thanks for that. I did not get that at all from 3rd edition rules! I'll have to go back and re-read that, see what I missed.

I think thats how I've been playing without realising. Maybe its default on realm speak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I once had an instance in RealmSpeak:

My character hired a Rogue but was also blocked by the others.

So combat occurred.

The character ran away, leaving th hired Rogue behind, who consequently was killed by the other Rogues.

Which I think is odd: with running away of my character the hired Rogue is not hired anymore, and become one of the others again. Then: why killing him?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Schacher

Spring
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmb
anijunk wrote:
I once had an instance in RealmSpeak:

My character hired a Rogue but was also blocked by the others.

So combat occurred.

The character ran away, leaving th hired Rogue behind, who consequently was killed by the other Rogues.

Which I think is odd: with running away of my character the hired Rogue is not hired anymore, and become one of the others again. Then: why killing him?
After running away, the hired Rogue is still hired, just unassigned.

Your character would have to go back the next day to the clearing with the hired Rogue to reassign that Rogue to follow your character.

People sometimes forget to assign hired natives to the character (or hired native leader) and leave the clearing the next day without them. You have to go back and get them on the following day.

Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls