Popular Tags: [View All]
Javier Estévez
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Hello,

I started playing this scenario tonight I had to abandon it due to a weird situation. The Guardian and the Redeemer teams got stuck on their respective sides and only the Brute could still reach the Demonic Well. Obviously, he did not make it.

English Scenario book, Sacrificium Sanguinis, Special rules, Borders wrote:
Exploration is not possibe whithin the diagram defined by the 4 rows and 7 columns. The 14 empty spaces between the tiles placed during setup will be filled by pile of 14 tiles prepared at the start of the game
Reading the French version, I understand it meant that exploration is ONLY possible within the diagram. Still it does not say that dead-ends on both sides should be avoided. My only hope stands in a subtle difference in the French version. It translates more or less to: "The 14 empty spaces between the tiles placed during setup will be filled to a maximum by the pile of 14 tiles prepared at the start of the game", which could mean that if a dead-end is found, one should discard the latest tile drawn and draw another one.

Anyone has any clue as to what I did wrong? Is there a clarification missing in the Scenario book?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javier Estévez
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
By the way, I have the feeling that the same could happen in Rescue Mission, where any of the four paths could be blocked before the humans arrive to the Stash, Tomb, Pentacle or Exit tiles. I must be missing something then...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roderic Beriault
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
It says in the rules that if all paths are blocked and the tile you flip is a dead end, you should flip again until it is not a dead end.

Quote:
"Dead ends
If, after exploring an opening, the play area is left
with no more unexplored openings, the last tile
to have been placed is discarded by the infernal
player and a new tile is drawn and so-on until a
tile with an unexplored opening appears."

Does that clarify it or did I misunderstand your question?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javier Estévez
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Well, the thing with this scenario is that not all paths are blocked, only the paths of a particular side. Also, since exploration is not allowed outside the diagram, it could be that a non dead-end tile prevents the humans from further exploring.

I wonder whether it is even possible to block one or both sides even if redrawing tiles is allowed. Something I might look into if I have time.

Edit: the same goes for Rescue mission. When the SE, SW, NE, or NW paths are blocked, there could be still other unblocked paths.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O. LEBIGOT
France
Versailles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The intent here is very likely to keep giving the human faction the possibility of winning, or the game would not be as interesting.

Plunder is another scenario where the rules (About turn!), when taken literally, can prevent a key tile from being found (the Tomb)—they exclude tiles with a single opening but fail to consider that a tile with more openings can create a loop that removes all openings from the map.

So again, I would consider that all these "keep some opening" scenario rules are meant to keep the game winnable (mostly by the humans). They attempted to give some "mathematical" recipe for this and failed to see corner cases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Praetor Kamahl
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
Closest thing I've had similar to this was the second scenario - the entire map only had one way to escape, and a Prescience trigger from an instinct card let me get the requisite Stash tile out for a victory.

...Except there are no openings left on the map, so technically it should be discarded and another replaces it? But then victory is completely impossible, so I'd assume you ignore in in a situation like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls