Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Javier Estévez
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Aura of Courage clearly states that it should be used on another warrior.

However, Aura of Anger targets all allied warriors, and Laying on of hands an allied warrior on the same tile. Is the Redeemer considered an allied warrior?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renaud Verlaque
United States
Shelter Island Heights
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I would think that "allied" means "allied to the Western warrior whose talent is being used", and thus only includes the Redeemer if he is not Western warrior whose talent is being used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Praetor Kamahl
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
...Wait, actually I don't know anymore. I thought "allied" referred to specifically other (friendly) units, but Aura of Courage specifically says "another" allied warrior, while the others don't.

I'm actually tempted to say Laying on of Hands can heal himself now after re-reading these, but I'd be very welcome to discussion otherwise.

EDIT: There are 5 Anger tokens and 5 player boards. Honestly, I think this answers the question without official input - every gift sans Aura of Courage can affect the Redeemer. Of course, there are 8 dice when the most you can roll is 7, so... I could be mistaken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renaud Verlaque wrote:
I would think that "allied" means "allied to the Western warrior whose talent is being used", and thus only includes the Redeemer if he is not Western warrior whose talent is being used.

Given some of the really misleading English translation I've read so far (sometimes the French language rule is absolutely clear and correct -- the only ambiguity comes from bad translation), I'm inclined not to base my decisions on exact wording like this.

And the number of tokens can't be the decider -- as you said, we have more dice than we need, too. They absolutely could have just thrown in extra dice and tokens to leave room for new abilities and characters in expansions down the road.

I'm inclined to think, just based on my feel for the game, that all gifts are meant to be cast on other figures. The Redeemer is casting the spell, giving the "gift" to the guys he brought with him to inspire them, and it is more challenging / tactically interesting to me if he can only cast on other people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Praetor Kamahl
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
From checking the gifts for the first game, Aura of Healing could only heal Condemned warriors, so I believe this time around is the same effectively (cannot heal himself).

I suppose this means Anger doesn't apply to himself either, but the old game didn't seem to have an equivalent for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javier Estévez
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I can say that the French version does not help with this one. It also specifically states another warrior for Aura of Courage and is as vague as the English version with the other two.

Aura of Anger came with De Profundis and it reads:
Aura of Anger, De Profundis wrote:
All human warriors gain +1 CBT until the end of the next Action Phase.
To me the question remains unanswered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javier Estévez
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Also, another card that came with De Profundis was Healing Ritual, which read:
Healing Ritual, De Profundis wrote:

... in order to heal the Line of Action of his choice on a Human warrior in play. Remove the corresponding Damage token.
So not sure whether the new gift reimplements Aura of Healing or Healing Ritual as written.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Praetor Kamahl
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
Very interesting. I'm suspecting now that Laying On of Hands is a hybrid between the two - that he can target himself with it, but if he wants to heal someone else, they have to be in the same tile (the better heal from De Profundis also kept the Redeemer from doing anything else that turn, but could heal at any range). They both use the 4-slot for a gift, so that doesn't change up at all or clear the air. Really will need some official input on this.

The Anger question seems pretty cut and dry though - he benefits from it as well. 5 tokens, original version gave him the benefit and had the exact same name / impact, pretty straight-forward.

Edit - actually, I'm still leaning towards it being like the original Aura of Healing, as aside from being unable to heal the Guardian / Swordswoman, they're identical. Really need this clarification though 'cause the wording definitely makes it sound like Aura of Anger, while the original Aura of Healing had the same wording as Aura of Courage (so now I'm flip-flopping every time I read them, great).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O. LEBIGOT
France
Versailles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In plain English (or French) it is clear nobody is allied with themselves.
The definition of allied in the game is compatible with this:
Quote:
The warriors from the same faction are allied warriors.
Thus, I'm inclined to consider that "an allied warrior" is intended to mean another warrior.

I would very much welcome some official clarification, though! Maybe it's time to head to overlord.com/.net!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls