Enemy Action: Ardennes» Forums » Rules

Subject: GS Bridge ownership rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grant Laing
Scotland
flag msg tools
Hi all

OK I've had a long day at work and wanted to relax with a few impulses, but.....I can't seem to find the answer to this, though I feel it's simple and I'm probably missing the obvious :-)

If I repair a blown bridge who controls it?

It feels like it should be me, but I can't find a ruling :-)

Cheers

Grant

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Åkerlund
Sweden
Vallentuna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Good question. A blown bridge is controlled in the same way as an intact one (16.20). It follows that if you repair a blown bridge that is controlled by the Allies, it remains under Allied control.

Obviously, it should be easy for you to take control after repair, since no Allied unit can be within one hex in order for you to repair it in the first place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Laing
Scotland
flag msg tools
OK Martin thanks

Your right about taking control of it....however it's right at the end of day (so won't get the chance to activate and take control of it), and my plan was to open up a supply that I foolishly got drawn out of :-)
I think I can instead make a new Bridge which, as far as I'm aware, will be under my control and satisfy my supply issue. It just won't have the connected roads!

Cheers

Grant
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brastias wrote:

Good question. A blown bridge is controlled in the same way as an intact one (16.20). It follows that if you repair a blown bridge that is controlled by the Allies, it remains under Allied control.

Obviously, it should be easy for you to take control after repair, since no Allied unit can be within one hex in order for you to repair it in the first place.
Interesting. 16.22 explicitly says that when you build a "new bridge", it is marked as controlled by you.

I wonder whether it's an oversight that 16.21 doesn't say the same. The only evident difference between "repairing a new bridge" and "building a new bridge" is whether that hexside has roads or not. The actual physical work done by Bridge Engineers seems similar in both cases, and they're surely doing construction work on both sides of the hexside...

But indeed a literal interpretation of the rules seems to imply that if you "repair" a "destroyed" Allied-controlled bridge, then it continues to stay Allied-controlled...

That seems very weird to me, and it's hard to imagine the reality of German bridge engineers rebuilding a bridge and it still being under Allied control when they finish their work. I wonder if that's really the intent...

---

A counter-argument to the literal interpretation of 16.21 is that a a bridge is destroyed, then it no longer exists, so the concept of who controls that non-existent thing is meaningless. I.e. a non-existent bridge can't be controlled by anyone.

But a counter-counter-argument is that a destroyed bridge (e.g. smoking ruins) is distinguishably different from a non-existent bridge (e.g. nothing at all).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Trovato
Italy
Rome
ITALY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I don't have the rules with me now, but there should be a condition to satisfy to repair a Bridge (not in Allied ZOC maybe? No Allied unit on both ends?) if this is the case it should be another counter-argument that you actually control it once built.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls