Popular Tags: [View All]
Lyle Sherwin
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So I just bought Adventure.

I'm looking through the Traveler cards and reading the rules/notes.

I'd like to make sure I understand it properly.

So, when I play Teacher from my hand, according to the rulebook (not written on the card) I get +1 Card, +1 Action and place the card on my Tavern Mat?

And when I call it, then I get the action as described on the card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dragon76 wrote:
So I just bought Adventure.

I'm looking through the Traveler cards and reading the rules/notes.

I'd like to make sure I understand it properly.

So, when I play Teacher from my hand, according to the rulebook (not written on the card) I get +1 Card, +1 Action and place the card on my Tavern Mat?

And when I call it, then I get the action as described on the card?
No. When you play any Reserve card, you do the part above the line. In Teacher's case, that's just putting it on the mat. You do not get +1 Card or +1 Action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyle Sherwin
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ok, so what you are saying is that Page 15 of the Dominion Adventures book is in fact printed in error?

It says

"Teacher: When you play this, you get +1 Card and +1 Action and put it on your Tavern Mat. It stays on your mat until you call it, at the start of one of your turns. ..."

I've just downloaded the current Dominion Adventures .pdf and it still has the above text in it.

Can you point me to an errata that corrects this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dragon76 wrote:
Ok, so what you are saying is that Page 15 of the Dominion Adventures book is in fact printed in error?

It says

"Teacher: When you play this, you get +1 Card and +1 Action and put it on your Tavern Mat. It stays on your mat until you call it, at the start of one of your turns. ..."

I've just downloaded the current Dominion Adventures .pdf and it still has the above text in it.

I cannot point you to errata, but I can inform you with 100% confidence that the rules are incorrect there. An unfortunate copy/paste error, I’m guessing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dragon76 wrote:

It says

Does the Teacher you're looking at look like below?

Either way, that's what many of us are going off of. The part about "+1 card, +1 action", is below the line. Furthermore, they're referring to placing the +1 Card token and +1 Action token respectively. Not that you do those now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Young
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know where you got the pdf, but the official card text can be seen on the dominion strategy wiki: http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Teacher

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
I recently received Adventures 2nd edition, and the rulebook definitely has this error.
The physical card is still correct of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyle Sherwin
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm well aware of what the card text says, and what it doesn't. Thanks

What I'm saying is that page 15 of the rulebook says something different...both the printed copy I have and the .pdf version.

While I appreciate you all saying you're sure of the rules, some with 100% certainty, this expansion has been out for almost 4 years now and I can't see any forum discussion on this anywhere I've looked.

I strongly suspect that most people who've played Dominion rarely look at the booklets unless something is unclear, and as a result have missed this.

So yeah, I'd like some official errata concerning this rather than opinion.

I've actually sent an email to the games publisher asking the question, and when I get a response I will post it.

Here is the text from the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Clements
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My understanding from other post in which the designer or publisher replied was that the cards are always right. I use this to answer these kind of inconsistencies.

No I don’t remember to post nor the card I just remember and it has been reaffirmed by others I play with as a general rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
Hmm. I sold my first printing of Adventures so can't tell what that says, but the Rio Grande webside has the rulebook from the second printing, which contains this error. Whoops! It would be a shame if that was an error which had existed in the original printing and somehow didn't get picked up before the reprint. )-8

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
Curiouser and curiouser.

When Arcticpenguin added the FAQ from the rulebook to the DominionStrategy wiki entry for Teacher on April 18th 2015 that "When you play this, you get +1 Card and +1 Action, and..." didn't get included.

This means either the text somehow got added to the second-printing rulebook, or Arcticpenguin noticed the obvious error and excised it during copying, but didn't think to draw anyone's attention to it. I can see no other alternative, but neither seems plausible!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Der Dominionaer
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The error got added to revised version rulebook. The PDF from Feb 2015 does not contain it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Maslen
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
This is what the first edition rules said:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
dragon76 wrote:
So yeah, I'd like some official errata concerning this rather than opinion.
It's officially a mistake in the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
Gosh. It would be fascinating to know how on earth that sneaked in. (-8

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyle Sherwin
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I also got official confirmation that it is an error in the rulebook by email from Rio Grande.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
dragon76 wrote:
While I appreciate you all saying you're sure of the rules, some with 100% certainty, this expansion has been out for almost 4 years now and I can't see any forum discussion on this anywhere I've looked.
It bears mentioning that LastFootnote is the "Matt E" credited as a playtester on Adventures; the one who's been credited as head playtester for the three subsequent expansions. If he's certain, he's certain.

And Donald X. should need no introduction. (-8
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Broox
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dragon76 wrote:
I also got official confirmation that it is an error in the rulebook by email from Rio Grande.
The creator of the game also said as much two posts above yours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hoffman
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And never forget the Golden Rule: If there is a conflict between a rule and a card's text, err on the card's side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crawford
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamemaster wrote:
And never forget the Golden Rule: If there is a conflict between a rule and a card's text, err on the card's side.
Yes. The cards FAQs in the rulebooks are only meant as clarifications to help with understanding. They aren't the literal rules for how to play a card. Those rules are written on the cards themselves. In this case, it's unfortunate that the rulebook has a pretty big mistake/typo in it; but in other cases, the FAQs simply use looser language because they're just explaining things.

Always do what the card says.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GendoIkari_82 wrote:
Gamemaster wrote:
Yes. The cards FAQs in the rulebooks are only meant as clarifications to help with understanding. They aren't the literal rules for how to play a card. Those rules are written on the cards themselves. In this case, it's unfortunate that the rulebook has a pretty big mistake/typo in it; but in other cases, the FAQs simply use looser language because they're just explaining things.

Unless it’s an old copy of Black Market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
LastFootnote wrote:
GendoIkari_82 wrote:
Arguably, in the same way that card-shaped objects aren't Cards, an old copy of Black Market no longer says the text that's literally printed on the card. (-8
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clivej wrote:
LastFootnote wrote:
GendoIkari_82 wrote:
Arguably, in the same way that card-shaped objects aren't Cards, an old copy of Black Market no longer says the text that's literally printed on the card. (-8
"No longer"? It never said the text that was actually printed on the card, is my point. It allowed you to play Treasure cards from your hand, but that wasn't written on the card.

The new versions do have the correct text.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
I guess. But old printings of Throne Room arguably now say "You may play an Action card from your hand twice." even though that's not what's printed on them. And there may be circumstances some day - even if not already in foreign-language translations - when a card says "reveal" even though that's not printed on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls