Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul
Australia
PORT MACQUARIE
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless the rules of a game specify otherwise, I have usually determined the terrain of a hex as the terrain type that covers the majority of the hex in question.

In RB there seem to be several hexes that are almost exactly 50/50 in terrain type. For example, Hexes 2034, 2132, and 2134 are all about 50% mountain and 50% clear. I have been unable to clarify the situation from looking under various 'terrain' headings in the rule book nor did a search for terrain in the PDF of the rule shed any light on the matter.

Is there a rule I've missed that clarifies this situation of mixed terrain within the one hex? Is there any consensus (or house rule from a regular player) that would be a good fit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Popejoy
United States
Potomac Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
GWX Dev Team
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quaama wrote:
Unless the rules of a game specify otherwise, I have usually determined the terrain of a hex as the terrain type that covers the majority of the hex in question.

In RB there seem to be several hexes that are almost exactly 50/50 in terrain type. For example, Hexes 2034, 2132, and 2134 are all about 50% mountain and 50% clear. I have been unable to clarify the situation from looking under various 'terrain' headings in the rule book nor did a search for terrain in the PDF of the rule shed any light on the matter.

Is there a rule I've missed that clarifies this situation of mixed terrain within the one hex? Is there any consensus (or house rule from a regular player) that would be a good fit?
Hi!

Applicable Rules
I'm not aware of any rules or Terrain Effects Chart (TEC) sections that specifically state how to treat hexes that have multiple terrain markings, e.g., clear and mountain.

Rationale:
It is too difficult for me to accurately, objectively, and easily measure the percentage of a hex that is one terrain type or another, especially when agreement with a human opponent is involved, so I usually propose an informal hierarchy:
- any hex that is solid blue is a water hex that ground units may not enter, but which air units may fly across to conduct missions.
- any hex with any type of land terrain is a land hex, including hexes that are partially water, i.e., with coastal or lake border markings.
- any hex with any amount of non-clear terrain marking (e.g., mountain, swamp, forest) is treated as if the entire hex was filled with that type of terrain.

For example,
- I would treat all of your example hexes (2034, 2132, and 2134) as mountain terrain.
- Sea movement "drops" a unit directly onto a coastal hex for a sea area so it doesn't worry about tracing sea movement over full or partial water hexes (ref. ยง8.47 under "Sea Invasion").

Hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Lupinacci
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Terrain in Hex

If a hex has ANY TERRAIN.....it is considered 100%!

We tried our very best to make sure there are no tiny squiggles of terrain that bled over anywhere on the map. So, if you even see 10% of terrain, it is the whole hex. 100%, full up.

Do you need further clarification?

Rivers

Rivers have to cover a hex spine from corner to corner of a hex. A little squiggle of river bleeding off a corner does not count.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls