Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Is Cosmic Encounter Really Worth $60? (Plus shipping+tax) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kadin Fehr
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
Like, I understand that it's a classic that's been reprinted multiple times, and that playing it more increases value, and that Fantasy Flight's version is apparently the best... but $60 without shipping fees?

Despite it's multitude of finicky rules, the general game is one that is easy to explain, and easy to understand. I only watched a gameplay livestream and I understood pretty much everything. Judging by that, the game does seem like it is pretty accessible to the general audience compared to other classics, such as Terra Mystica or Tigris and Euphrates. Most "accessible games" that I see retail at around $30-40 (not including tax and shipping)

And understand me, I've never seen a physical copy, so I can't speak on the quality of the components, but there doesn't seem to be much. Some cardboard planets and other, decks of cards, and some plastic ship chips that stack? I guess the large full colour Alien cards might have a large toll on the cost?

So I guess I'm asking you all, what do you think? Is Cosmic worth 60$ not including taxes and shipping? Once again, I'm not hating on the game in any way (I really want it, but I want to make sure all this money I've been saving up is spent well) , and I've never seen the components aside from what was in the video, so I might make no sense with the component part. I guess all I want is either validation that I should make this purchase, or people saying unanimously that it's overpriced and I should wait for a sale or something.







And cause I know how people like to answer these questions,
Yes, I do think I would play it often.
I don't have a game group, but the people I play with showed interest in this game.
I understand everything about how the game plays. I know that I'd like the game if I bought it.

(This entire section was because of previous experiences where I expressed equal interest in a list of games and asked for a purely factual response of which price deal was the best, and proceeded to be bombarded with people telling me that "it depends on what types of game I think I will enjoy the most". Like, I said I would enjoy them equally,lol?)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Matthews
msg tools
Avatar
It may be on an up swing cuz of supply, but that's not outrageous. I bought it about a year ago at around 45-50ish I believe. It's a lot of components and it's a great game. I'd say make sure you're buying it at it's cheapest and make sure it's not low on supply, but if it really is at $60 it's probably still worth it. You might want to not write a novela if you want your question answered though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say yes its worth it although I got it cheaper than that but that was years ago.

Even if you know you will like it, Cosmic is REALLY group dependant. I have one group (the Ameritrash group) that love it whilst my other more Euro group it just bombs..everytime (Personally I love it but I do like my Ameritrash)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The short answer is yes it’s worth it. But you can get it for $48 on Amazon. So go get it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy W
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
IF your game group likes this, it's worth $150 or more. Most "good" games are good for about 30-40 plays. CE is one of those games that you will play twice and hate or play 1,306,987 times.

What I'm trying to say is that this game *really* depends on your group in a way that, say, Castles of Burgundy doesn't.

I'd buy it. Play it a few times, keeping it pristine as possible. You'll know fast whether the group loves it. If they do not love it, they will NEVER love it in my experience. Trade it away or sell it; it is an easy title to move.

I've also found that this game works better with people you know pretty well.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can get a game played, pretty high cost is worth it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Iguanis wrote:
Like, I understand that it's a classic that's been reprinted multiple times, and that playing it more increases value, and that Fantasy Flight's version is apparently the best... but $60 without shipping fees?

Despite it's multitude of finicky rules, the general game is one that is easy to explain, and easy to understand. I only watched a gameplay livestream and I understood pretty much everything. Judging by that, the game does seem like it is pretty accessible to the general audience compared to other classics, such as Terra Mystica or Tigris and Euphrates. Most "accessible games" that I see retail at around $30-40 (not including tax and shipping)

And understand me, I've never seen a physical copy, so I can't speak on the quality of the components, but there doesn't seem to be much. Some cardboard planets and other, decks of cards, and some plastic ship chips that stack? I guess the large full colour Alien cards might have a large toll on the cost?

So I guess I'm asking you all, what do you think? Is Cosmic worth 60$ not including taxes and shipping? Once again, I'm not hating on the game in any way (I really want it, but I want to make sure all this money I've been saving up is spent well) , and I've never seen the components aside from what was in the video, so I might make no sense with the component part. I guess all I want is either validation that I should make this purchase, or people saying unanimously that it's overpriced and I should wait for a sale or something.







And cause I know how people like to answer these questions,
Yes, I do think I would play it often.
I don't have a game group, but the people I play with showed interest in this game.
I understand everything about how the game plays. I know that I'd like the game if I bought it.

(This entire section was because of previous experiences where I expressed equal interest in a list of games and asked for a purely factual response of which price deal was the best, and proceeded to be bombarded with people telling me that "it depends on what types of game I think I will enjoy the most". Like, I said I would enjoy them equally,lol?)
You said you are condfident you like the game and will get to play it often and that you have the money for it. Do you have another game or two in mind that you think you would also like as much and play as often? If not then why not get Cosmic Encounter, it already sounds like a good choice.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe.

I kind of regret getting it, as does my husband. We've played a few times and it just never was a big hit. However, my son (older teen) and his friends thought it was one of the best games ever. In fact, my son loved it so much that I did buy an expansion. Chances are high that I will let him take it when he moves out.

The components are good. The game is good. It's just a game that really seems to depend on the group to really shine. You can know you will like the game, but I think you need to have a group that not only likes the game, but has the right dynamic when they play it. In our case, we just haven't ever quite found that yet in the different group compositions.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Matthews
msg tools
Avatar
Elankat wrote:
Maybe.

I kind of regret getting it, as does my husband. We've played a few times and it just never was a big hit. However, my son (older teen) and his friends thought it was one of the best games ever. In fact, my son loved it so much that I did buy an expansion. Chances are high that I will let him take it when he moves out.

The components are good. The game is good. It's just a game that really seems to depend on the group to really shine. You can know you will like the game, but I think you need to have a group that not only likes the game, but has the right dynamic when they play it. In our case, we just haven't ever quite found that yet in the different group compositions.
Did you and your husband play with plenty of players? Cuz that is also a big factor in this game. I really don't ever think to pull this out unless I have 5+ players. And yes, everyone has to get into the politics (and understand it enough to use every little shred of politics at their disposal) for it to be a good experience. I went from being pretty meh on this game for the first 2-3 plays to loving it and getting all 3 of the expansions that add a player.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ViridianJMA wrote:
Elankat wrote:
Maybe.

I kind of regret getting it, as does my husband. We've played a few times and it just never was a big hit. However, my son (older teen) and his friends thought it was one of the best games ever. In fact, my son loved it so much that I did buy an expansion. Chances are high that I will let him take it when he moves out.

The components are good. The game is good. It's just a game that really seems to depend on the group to really shine. You can know you will like the game, but I think you need to have a group that not only likes the game, but has the right dynamic when they play it. In our case, we just haven't ever quite found that yet in the different group compositions.
Did you and your husband play with plenty of players? Cuz that is also a big factor in this game. I really don't ever think to pull this out unless I have 5+ players. And yes, everyone has to get into the politics (and understand it enough to use every little shred of politics at their disposal) for it to be a good experience. I went from being pretty meh on this game for the first 2-3 plays to loving it and getting all 3 of the expansions that add a player.
Yep. Played at 4 player once and 5 or 6 player a few times with some slightly different group compositions. It's always been just okay. Personally, I think it's just a game where everyone needs to enjoy being a dick, and that's not terribly interesting to me or some of the people in the groups I play with. I've never hated it when I've played, but I feel like it's never really lived up to its reputation either. I'd say that a couple people loved it, one hated it, and several were just indifferent.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David op De Beeck
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Only you can decide if a game is worth it for you. I payed 75 Euro for Food Chain Magnate, if something happens to it I'll buy it again in the blink of an eye. I have games that cost me over 200 Euro and that are well worth it to me.

Cosmic Encounter is worthless to me, I would not want to play it if people payed me to play it. I've tried it once and I didn't like it at all. Doesn't mean you won't. I do think it's one of those games you have to have grown up with to like.



 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Socialism will win.
badge
Space Cabby!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't personally like Cosmic Encounter, but I'd be wary of spending a lot on it because even its biggest fans will tell you that it's very group-dependent.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely worth it... to me at least.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dodb66 wrote:
I do think it's one of those games you have to have grown up with to like.
That statement definitely isn’t true, the game has 23k ratings on BGG with an average of about 7.5 and many of those people did it “grow up” with the game. All you have to do is look at new positive ratings for the game to see examples of people who never played before who like the game.

The game is definitely not for everyone though. I like it but one of my friends hated it, he thought it was to swingy and random. Also the game will not play well in a quiet group that doesn’t like to negotiate (negotiation is pretty much the entire game.) If you don’t like randomness and negotiation don’t get this game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David op De Beeck
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dugman wrote:
Dodb66 wrote:
I do think it's one of those games you have to have grown up with to like.
That statement definitely isn’t true, the game has 23k ratings on BGG with an average of about 7.5 and many of those people did it “grow up” with the game. All you have to do is look at new positive ratings for the game to see examples of people who never played before who like the game.

The game is definitely not for everyone though. I like it but one of my friends hated it, he thought it was to swingy and random. Also the game will not play well in a quiet group that doesn’t like to negotiate (negotiation is pretty much the entire game.) If you don’t like randomness and negotiation don’t get this game.
Well that pretty much says it, I don't like negotiation in games much and this game has nothing without negotiation.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iwan Kandinshuk
Russia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
The Warp wrote:
The short answer is yes it’s worth it. But you can get it for $48 on Amazon. So go get it.
For me, the short answer would be: No, it's not...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Legomancer wrote:
I don't personally like Cosmic Encounter, but I'd be wary of spending a lot on it because even its biggest fans will tell you that it's very group-dependent.
While I am on the side of liking it(I own all the expansions which can fit in the base box + BT insert), very much this. It is a game which can generate stories. It is a game where it can kind of just be awkward. One of the few games I would qualify as a beautiful mess. Five players is ideal. Six is still good. I don't care how many expansions you buy and thus how many platers you could add. Do not play at 7+. I just about wanted to strangle all of the people needlessly trying to extend the play I did at that player count. Also, you need to be down with leader bashing, king making, and split victories. "It's like Munchkin, but fun."
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Siford
Australia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Given your conditions sure. Or you could hold off a bit and try to get it a bit more cheaply if the price is a problem.

I played it once and have no desire to play it again, but some of the guys in the gaming group love it. It is very much one of those love/hate games.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems 60$ is what FFG now charges for that box size. I bought the game when it was around 50 (euros, actually, because shipping to Europe). But it was the same as Arkham Horror, Android or Chaos in the Old World.

Contents of the box are comparable with what Citow had. With one CE expansion added the box's quite heavy now (and that just some alien cards, a tiny reward deck and 6th player pieces).

As for whether or not you'll like it.

I was in similar situation - the accounts of the game were just so polarising I had a hard time figuring out whether it was a game for me. The game is a complete antithesis to what's popular in eurolandia nowadays, or ever. The game is also unlike other ameritrash titles, especially the theme heavy FFG fare with 60 pages rulebook. It's a game from 1977 - a different era of gaming or whatever they were doing while getting high back then.

Turns out, I love it (my favorite game). As one eurogamer nicely described it "it's a groovy game". However - as others I won't play it with anybody. Especially modern eurogamers can make this game sink, or if game still floats somehow they get frowny faces. Surprisingly the game actually worked better with complete nongamers than with bobbyists - it's just so different to what the hobby is currently about.

But if you think you'll like it and can wait for a group to emerge from somewhere, go ahead.
(It does need at least 4 players though, 5 is much better and 6 is best. And yes, 6 means one of expansions with extra bits)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Warp wrote:
The short answer is yes it’s worth it. But you can get it for $48 on Amazon. So go get it.
Oh yeah keep contributing to the richest man of the world's wealth and lowering poor men's wages while rich man spends money to replace poor men with robots and help unemployement grow ALL for the sake of a couple of your measly dollars!

Such a good idea. Let's ignore the long term consequences of our actions!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Chapman
United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
Anyway, how's your sex life?
badge
"She said the same thing about waffles."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmic is a 10 for me, but you don't want to play it with the wrong people.
However, I would note that FFG's version does allow you to dial back the silliness by removing flares and sticking to "green" aliens, or increase it by adding tech and the red aliens... so there is some catering to tastes available

Is there a copy you can try with your most likely opponents? Does your store have a loaning system? Is there anybody you know who owns it?

Can you reduce the financial risk by spreading the cost among the group who will be playing it? That's what we do with Legacy games.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lane Taylor
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Cosmic encounter, and play it every chance I get.

Having said that, I don't own it.

I was close to pulling the trigger on a copy here on BGG that already had all the expansions, but then I saw Sidereal Confluence: Trading and Negotiation in the Elysian Quadrant. This is everything I love about CE, but the negotiating is all trade goods, so the couple players I have that are non-confrontational can now enjoy it.

It's slightly more complex than CE, but it still can be explained in under 10 minutes. I have SC, but probably won't bother getting CE now.

But for $60 (which can be a lot of money for some people, or not even an afterthought to others), if you know your group would like it and play it regularly, it's a worthy investment.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls