Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A research op allows discarding a cube to draw 1,2, or 3 cards with total mass less than 5 from th tops of stacks. Can more than one card be drawn from the same stack? (Not bothering to quote rules because they are ambiguous on this point anyway).

The main reason I’m asking is this. I’d like to increase the number of cubes+robonauts I have, without having to discard robots out of the game. Is that possible?

As far as I can tell, the only way to do this is if you are allowed to draw multiple cards from the robonaut stack during the research op. Hence my original question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Fowler
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Tierra del Fuego, or bust.
badge
Memento rapinas et latrocinia ante ardere!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well... It looks like you can draw the cards from whichever stack(s) you want.

"Y.4 INTERSTELLAR OPERATIONS
B. SCIENTIST OPERATIONS

Research: Roll 1d6, if < Age, you must discard a Factory Cube to take 1, 2 or 3 black cards of up to 5 total mass from the top of the patent decks to your hand."
- from the printed rule book that came with the game. (italics and bold are mine)

That's how I would interpret that rule. And yes, it is kind of ambiguous.

After reading the Interstellar glossary regarding Patent Decks, "The Patent decks do not represent an exclusive right to use a technology, as patents are unenforceable over Interstellar distances and long since expired. ..." I am thinking maybe, because the patents are unenforceable over Interstellar distances and long since expired, a player is allowed to take 1, 2 or 3 black cards from any stack(s) in Interstellar... just a thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anarcho Paladin
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Awrr... Sorry to ask, but which rule is this? Is this a Colonization one? In the Freighter module? An Interstellar one? I can't figure it out...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know the rule number, but it is an Interstellar rule question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anarcho Paladin
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
arjisme wrote:
I don't know the rule number, but it is an Interstellar rule question.
I see, thanks!

ANd to Rus, I then can't help you, as I haven't learned those rules yet...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gastonguay
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Act Three! Everybody Dies!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always played it that you could. I've done it for the very reason you have: to get more cubes.

It would seem weird otherwise: "Okay team, we're going to spend the next 10 years on research: Maria, you work on robotics, Tracy, you work on Radiators." "But I have a great idea for robots!" "Sorry, only one robot per decade!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls