Pandemic: The Cure – Experimental Meds» Forums » General

Subject: Hot Zones: Does it make the game harder? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gavin Landers
Australia
Newcastle
flag msg tools
Just wanted to get some opinions on whether people think that the addition of the Hot Zone dice make the game less/more difficult? I've only played once with the Hot Zone dice and whilst they caused a few minor issues with transport and infections, they seemed to help more than hinder (but that's just my experience with one play through).

So was hoping to get some opinions from experienced players? Does it affect difficulty, or does it just add more variety?

If you're wondering why I'm asking, I like to formulate scoring templates for our co-op games, just so we can see how well we went from game to game. I'm just unsure if I should put any score modifier for using the Hot Zone module.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
endofturn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I find overall it made the game easier. The tower that makes moving in harder is a pain but most of the others don't matter or make things easier.

The Cure is one of my wife and my favorite games. We play on hard, with purple, and hot zone dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmmm. I'd say it makes the game harder but I can't really prove that notion as I haven't been concentrating on just that one aspect. The towers are a real pain and the other bad ones don't actually happen that often but that's probably because we're actively working to avoid them happening thus limiting our choices thus making the game harder. I don't feel we really utilize the good sides of the dice much which may be a failing on our part. Overall, I feel like the Hot Zone is a just an extra fiddly notion that I could live without but the others want to go all in so we play with them too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Landers
Australia
Newcastle
flag msg tools
After a handful more games with Hot Zones, I definitely think they make the game a touch harder. Whilst the "good" sides of the dice can be helpful, they are rather situational and get you a relatively minor boost. However from my last few games with Experimental Meds, I'm finding the "bad" side of the dice quite effective (for doing bad stuff!). For example, we had three adjacent regions in transport locked down and it was messing us up big school. Both the Rate Effect and Influx dice can also trigger some nasty situations, much more serious than the "good" dice can prevent.

So I think on the balance of it, I'm definitely feeling the game is more difficult with the Hot Zone dice added.

Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Three adjacent regions? Yikes! I think I'd be taking actions to re-roll those dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joël
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eilsano wrote:
After a handful more games with Hot Zones, I definitely think they make the game a touch harder. Whilst the "good" sides of the dice can be helpful, they are rather situational and get you a relatively minor boost. However from my last few games with Experimental Meds, I'm finding the "bad" side of the dice quite effective (for doing bad stuff!). For example, we had three adjacent regions in transport locked down and it was messing us up big school. Both the Rate Effect and Influx dice can also trigger some nasty situations, much more serious than the "good" dice can prevent.

So I think on the balance of it, I'm definitely feeling the game is more difficult with the Hot Zone dice added.

Cheers.
More important. Is it fun to play with the hotzones?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joel22 wrote:
Eilsano wrote:

Cheers.
More important. Is it fun to play with the hotzones?
I would prefer to play with them. Main, biased reason is it's "the new", but I really did enjoy that one game with them. FWIW, we also decided to tackle the purple/Mutation dice as well.

It's a nice combo of having the white sides be helpful to us (at the risk of making it worse since you need to reroll if you do utilize them).

The biohazard side is a nice alternative to not having to suck down a biohazard result (otherwise, Generalist and Event cards are your only other recourses).

We used the "move any die" to move a 3rd, Infection die to mitigate the risk of an Outbreak.

We avoided the "+1 to cure roll" one since we were 5 away from death on that track (and we started off on Intro level difficulty). We saved it for the very end (since the game would be over, while still having enough breathing room to avoid losing via that), but ended up not needing it.

Transportation restricted. I suspect we would've forgotten how bad this was were it not for me reminding everyone else about it. I was proactive in telling the group "let's spend a CDC die to reroll that", as either it would've been annoying to deal with, or it's possible we would've forgotten about it.

Influx of Patients. We did have one moment where one of us wasn't worried about an Outbreak (we were only at 2 or 3 of 8, and it was towards the end of the game), but another player pointed out that with this there, it could be very harmful, so we mitigated that.

I'll have to post back if I can remember what Rate Effect does.

I'll also add that I too believe that overall, at the very least it makes the game somewhat harder (if nothing else more stuff to keep track of).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls