Hide
3 Posts

Near and Far» Forums » Rules

Subject: If I stay in town, can I duel? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
calculator store
msg tools
There seems to be a conflict in the rules. I couldn’t find it in the errata. Thanks.

Page 15, visit town bullet 2

A player can remain in town for multiple turns but cannot remain in the same building—if a player is already in town at the beginning of their turn, they must either go adventuring or move to a new, unoccupied building and perform that new building’s action

Page 30, example of play, paragraph 2

Tom starts his second turn. He does not yet want to leave town, so he places his standee on the Mine building, choosing to have a duel with the player on the Mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the quote you have given is just simplifying things.

You can always stay in town, but you must go to a different building than the one you were in on the previous turn. If it's occupied you need to duel, and if you lose you won't get to go to that building and do the action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
I just finished reading the rules, and I had the same question regarding the word "unoccupied." It's not clear what constitutes a building being occupied, since they never define it elsewhere.

Looking at the example and considering all potential definitions, I think they're looking at it solely from the perspective of your character standee: your standee "occupies" the current building and the others are considered "unoccupied" by your standee, thus requiring you to move to a new building.

If we take it to mean buildings occupied by anyone, then players will have significantly limited options for turn 2 in a four player game. Additionally, in co-operative mode from the expansion, it wouldn't make sense that your teammates are blocking you from accessing buildings on the second turn in-town (and the co-op rules don't give any exemptions to the unoccupied building rule). Lastly, if playing co-op with minions, it doesn't make sense that a building occupied by a minion would require a person to leave town and then reenter on the next turn in order to engage it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls