Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Old hunting rifle rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anders Östgaard
Sweden
Knivsta
flag msg tools
If I draw a skull it jams and I fail. If I then play live and learn, will I need to spend another ammo or is that shot for free?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Hawkins
Canada
Newfoundland and Labrador
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Answered in arkhamdb faqs: https://arkhamdb.com/card/04200

Short answer...it's free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But the rifle will still be jammed after the fact, no matter what happens in the second draw.

Which makes me wonder, if you pull a second skull is it double jammed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that the key thing is that the Fight action triggers a single attack but that, if you use Live and Learn, you get to do the attack's skill test a second time.

Each skill test may have its own consequences, but there is a single Fight action and a single "attack." (The latter is not 100% clear in the rules, as "attack" is somewhat imprecise, but this is my understanding.)

If you use Old Hunting Rifle's Fight action and draw a Skull, the attack fails (per the rules for that Fight action. (This may have consequences if the enemy is engaged with another investigator.)

Then using Live and Learn lets you re-attempt the skill test, but it's the same Fight action (and, I would maintain, the same attack).

If you draw another Skull, the test fails again (with possible consequences). Unless you have another Live and Learn (or something like it), you are done.

Old Hunting Rifle's Fight action specifies, "If a Skull or Tentacle symbol is revealed during this attack, the rifle jams."

A Skull was revealed during the attack, so the rifle now jams and requires unjamming before its Fight action can be used again.

I don't think that the fact that two Skulls were revealed changes that.

(I think that a similar resolution would apply if you used Olive McBride for your attack - no Live and Learn - and drew 3 Skull tokens, having to resolve 2 of them.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, just a single jam