James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We are on the fourth and last scenario of the base game.

Considering either replaying the earlier scenarios with just the base game or picking up an expansion.

Another consideration is that we do own 1st Edition too, so I can use the Conversion Kit to add that stuff. (I’ve not told the App that we have it).

1. How different are vanilla base game scenarios if you replay them?
2. Does playing with different characters change scenarios?
3. Does adding 1st Ed stuff alter base scenarios?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
-I'm quite certain your choice of characters does not affect the scenarios.
-Adding the 1st ed. stuff can change the layouts of the scenarios (and obviously what monsters appear too.)
-Even without adding the 1st ed. stuff, the scenarios do change from play to play- although it could happen that it plays out pretty similar because I'm pretty sure the app does not keep track of which versions of each scenario you have or haven't played. But even if it's still the same/similar layout, the mythos events that occur change. plus, the game is aware of approximately how well you're doing and so it will ease up if the group is struggling or go harder if the group is doing particularly well.
-Aside from the fact that it might make the gameplay slightly longer because you'll have more tiles and monsters to look through, telling the app you own 1st ed. only adds more variety. So there's not really any reason not have it listed (aside from the one I stated).
-Adding 1st ed. base set adds another scenario. And if you own both of the 1st ed. expansions, that adds another one too.
-There are three DLC scenarios for $5 each (which is a great price) and only requires the base set.
-I'm not sure if this applies to every single scenario, but I know for a lot of them, the more expansions you have, the more potential variety it adds to the scenarios.
-Granted it's a lot of money but I recently picked up all of the expansions and so I have access to all 19 scenarios, and I assure you by the time I play through them all I will definitely be ready to go back and play them all again. (not to mention there will presumably be another expansion or two released by the time I play through them all.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Lupino
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played the first scenario, the short one, at least 6 times now and have had a very different experience each time. Sometimes dramatically so. It's not just that some things are randomized but the story elements can completely change. You will find that the opening seems to be the same each time and the final win/lose conclusions do not change but the main story and elements can be quite different. I've had fun playing the same ones over and over again. Also, if you can remember the choices you made in the first play through, if they happen to come up again, try something different, often times this has interesting outcomes. You can try playing much slower, exploring every item in every room, or speed through and open up as many doors as you can get through...Give it a try you'll find the game changes because you did. And lastly try playing with different people if possible...they may have whole new perspectives on the choices you make...and then even if the game is similar to a previous play through you will get the enjoyment of watching them play and solve or die, and not be able to put out the fire....Argh!

Lol

Have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
So I agree with everything Richard said but especially the comment about playing with different people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janusz Skalski
Poland
Kraków/ Kielce
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
2. Does playing with different characters change scenarios?
I observed that playing different Investigators, generate some individual (semi-random) Mythos effects (targeted for them) and sometimes specifficaly affects starting items (spells for lore characters etc.).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls