BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Deciding the number of components to include rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Elliott
msg tools
designer
Hey guys.

For my game, Jolt, its played in an arena of up to 61 hexes. Each individual hex can be activated.

Potentially all 61 could be activated but in practice this is extremely unlikely to happen and hasn't happened during play-testing. So I am thinking about printing out less.

I was interested to get some opinions as to how you approach this kind of problem and decide on an appropriate number.

I have Santorini and there aren't enough blocks to completely fill the board but you can replace a completed tower with just the dome so that works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian S
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi Robert
A couple of options:

1. (thematically) said resources are 'limited', once they are used, there is no more.

2. use the running out of resources as one of the end game triggers

Personally I prefer 1, but a number of games use 2, so it's far from unusual

Regards
Ian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it when games come with more than you can possibly need. All of the needed, plus some blank ones in case I ever want to design my own, or one gets lost or damaged, etc. It sends a strong message to me that the designer cared more about my experience than about pinching pennies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
do you have a reason to do less? If its due to pricing I highly suggest you check first as a manufacturer will not think of it via individual pieces but "per sheet".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis C
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mafman6 wrote:
do you have a reason to do less? If its due to pricing I highly suggest you check first as a manufacturer will not think of it via individual pieces but "per sheet".
+1 to this. Find out how many will be on a sheet and print the closest number you can using the entirety of a sheet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahem...

Fewer vs. Less. ... According to usage rules, fewer is only to be used when discussing countable things, while less is used for singular mass nouns. For example, you can have fewer ingredients, dollars, people, or puppies, but less salt, money, honesty, or love. If you can count it, go for fewer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Ackerman
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
TechlandiaGame.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking about the same issue -- regarding little markers for placing on player dashboards. So far, I'm going for the max number possible for a four-player game, which is 15x4, plus one for a timer clock card, so that's 61 total.

The nice thing is they can be anything -- little plastic cubes, tiny chipboard punch-out circles, etc. I'm currently playtestiing with little plastic circles with a slightly riased X on them, which I made in TinkerCad and printed in bulk on a 3D printer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Elliott
msg tools
designer
byronczimmer wrote:
Ahem...

Fewer vs. Less. ... According to usage rules, fewer is only to be used when discussing countable things, while less is used for singular mass nouns. For example, you can have fewer ingredients, dollars, people, or puppies, but less salt, money, honesty, or love. If you can count it, go for fewer.
Not sure I follow where you are going

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Elliott
msg tools
designer
lacreighton wrote:
I like it when games come with more than you can possibly need. All of the needed, plus some blank ones in case I ever want to design my own, or one gets lost or damaged, etc. It sends a strong message to me that the designer cared more about my experience than about pinching pennies.

I guess my main reason was that I wanted to reduce the amount of stuff that needs to be out on the table.

Its a really good point about having spares it hadn't crossed my mind at all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SLThomas
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a common dilemma I think. However, unless there is a finite supply baked into the rules & mechanics(such as hotel chain stock cards in Acquire), then you don't want to have a situation where players literally run out of components and have to use matchsticks!!!shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pil2353 wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:
Ahem...

Not sure I follow where you are going
pil2353 wrote:
Potentially all 61 could be activated but in practice this is extremely unlikely to happen and hasn't happened during play-testing. So I am thinking about printing out less.
Tokens are countable. You would be printing out fewer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls