Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: recommendations [+] [View All]
Marco Grubert
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Our game group played How to Host a Murder: The Wall Street Scandal last weekend and what a great time we had !
Now I am wondering what other episodes either from the "How to Host.." or other brands are recommended. Which ones did you like best ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We liked Class of 54.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you haven't already seen it, look at this geeklist:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/439

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Roney
United States
Ladera Ranch
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FlyingArrow wrote:
We liked Class of 54.

I have an in-shrink Class of 54 that I will send to anyone for the cost of postage (rounded up to the next dollar). Otherwise, it will join the thrift masses before long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Aleknevicus
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Koldfoot wrote:
Never played, but I can say with a certain amount of authority that How to Host a Murder games are generally available in thrift stores.

I think (but do not know for sure) that these games have invitations and other materials that are written upon/used during the course of play making second-hand copies of less value. Does anyone know if this is actually the case?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Grubert
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Oh an entire geeklist of mystery- thanks for pointing that out, I must have missed it.

The thrift stores here are generally poorly stocked. Except for glassware. And clothes. I don't need clothes- I need games! surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group really liked "A Matter of Faxe." The "Tragical Mystery Tour" didn't go over quite as well. I also like the original "Watersdown Affair" since it's the classic whodunit. But I don't think you can go wrong with any of the How to Host line.

The "Evening of Murder" line is a slight cut below HtHaM, simply because the ones I've played seem to rely heavily on physical evidence, rather than character interaction.

The University Games Murder Mystery Parties don't seem so great, but there are a lot of them and I surely haven't played them all. But what we have played ... stinker.

I own just about all of the Mysteries by Vincent, and have played only one, and it dragged on a bit. If your group doesn't mind that, or can keep things moving at a good pace, they may be good. But it's all text (no sound effects), if that matters to you.

All in all, just grab what you can find. I've purchased many on eBay, but if you are one of the tiny few in this world who has a thrift store with actual games in it, maybe you could find one there. Just make sure it's complete.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
greg wrote:
I think (but do not know for sure) that these games have invitations and other materials that are written upon/used during the course of play making second-hand copies of less value. Does anyone know if this is actually the case?
They all contain invitations, but I've never used them. I simply invite people to attend and hand out the character booklets when they arrive. So far, no one has ever written in one of those booklets, meaning that the game is still in fine shape when the party's over.

I have gone so far (often, in fact) as typing the entire text of the invitation into an e-mail and sending that as the official invite. That works, too.

And from the looks of the used copies I've purchased on eBay, I think others must not use the invitations, either. The worst I've seen is some staining (food? grease?) on some of the character booklets. Yuck.

Maybe I should start NetMysteries, like Netflix. People send me some cash and I send them the game to play (without the box, to save on mailing). When they're done, they return it. If they don't return it within a certain amount of time, they lose their deposit, which will pay for the game. I've got about 75-80 of these things. Good idea?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.