Hide
11 Posts

Shadowrun: Crossfire» Forums » Sessions

Subject: An amazing round rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
T C
msg tools
TL;DR The amazing round I had was round 3, if you want to skip ahead. I made a mistake at the end of round 3 which led to a very good round 4, so round 4 wasn't actually legit.

I was able to end the game with a crossfire level of 2, and the runners collectively had 33 unspent nuyen.

Background

This was my fourth game ever played. I've played only the Crossfire mission, solo with 4 runners.

Fortunately, I won my first three games, so I was at 10 XP (in the third game, I drew Harlequin's Shadow, which gave me a bonus XP), so this was the last time I could play Crossfire at the normal difficulty (assuming I won this game as well) and still get the full karma award.

I picked only the 5 XP upgrades; I wasn't interested in the 10 or 15 XP upgrades (yet), so I'll limp along with a 5-XP upgrade per runner until I hit 20 XP.

Runner 1: Black Ork, Cigar Money, so: 6 HP, 6 cards, 2 nuyen
Runner 2: Red Human, Cigar Money, so: 5 HP, 4 cards, 5 nuyen
Runner 3: Blue Elf, Cigar Money, so: 4 HP, 5 cards, 5 nuyen
Runner 4: Green Dwarf, In Training, so: 5 HP, 3 cards, 6 nuyen

My reasoning behind the upgrades is that nuyen are an investment in the long term, so I gave everyone extra nuyen, except the dwarf who needs to beef up his pathetic starting hand size.

Setup

For scene 1, 3 of 4 obstacles had Flipped abilities. Mercenary Elf Decker was annoying because I love Jacked In...but it was replaced by Hack the World!!! Super sweet! To get it this early in the game was simply amazing, and my rich Decker was already well on his way to getting it.

Courier also had a sweet Flipped ability. Spell Sniper's Flipped ability has the potential to be useful early on, since it cycles through your deck faster, but unfortunately at the beginning of the game it had the opposite effect: cycling through all the decks too fast, so that any cards purchased in the first round sadly will get buried beneath a full draw deck once they are played.

(If not for Spell Sniper, I could purchase cards in the first round, play them in the second round, and get a chance to draw them back as early as the second round. With Spell Sniper, drawing the purchased cards back will be delayed a few rounds.)

My first crossfire card results in a fifth obstacle. I choose my Mage since she has the easiest obstacle to defeat.

OK, so this is the start of the first round. What would you do?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Two amazing rounds
Well, I had a plan, and then I mis-clicked the browser and... poof.

Short version:
Samurai to start Merc Elf Decker, buy Roomsweeper w/ Corurier's discount

Mage to kill Buzzback and buy Lightning Bolt.

Mage's second turn nukes Spell Sniper (held 1 Mana, drew 2 and have Lightning Bolt in hand), and purchases Clairvoyance.
If Mage draws into a Mana, start your own obstacle as well, just to get that going.
Side note, I generally prefer the Mage NOT purchase this card, it's better in the hands of other players usually - but given what's showing and what bank accounts will be, its ok

Decker finishes Merc Elf Decker, buys Hack-the-World

Face... I'm unsure on because the Market matters so much at this point.
If there's a Covering Fire or Doc Wagon, the Face plans to buy that.
There's enough uncertainty in the system at this point and we have enough of a concrete plan that I'd execute at least up to the Mage's buy and then reassess.

___
Edit: added Side Note to Mage's 2nd purchase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The above plan loads all of the damage onto the Samurai (2) and Mage (2) in the first round.

The Samurai is then expected to take a second hit of (2) and the Mage will probably not take any more damage - but you need to ensure that through the Face/Samurai's turn.

I often prefer to let each character take a single 1-point hit since they'll heal it back, but getting a few really high powered cards into the mix seems worth the risk.

As said above, the Face is really looking for CoveringFire/DocWagon and pulling one of those will change the game since it prevents the Sam from taking that second (2) point hit (or heals it back, same thing).

The Mage-nuke of the Spell Sniper is really the only thing I'd change in the above plan, but having LB do 4/U is really nice, and there's no-where else on the board that it would be as beneficial. Further on-the-fly analysis might turn that damage to the Samurai's obstacle instead in order to prevent that second-round (2) hit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last observation - I probably would've put the cunning plan on the Decker, not on the Mage.

Mage got lucky. If the Mage had pulled a 2-damage obstacle then it'd be light's out.

Putting the Cunning Plan on the Decker lets the Decker play "Hack the World" on their second action (because you'd still prioritize finishing the Merc Elf Decker)... and that'd be all kinds of fireworks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
msg tools
Great feedback, thanks! Always good to hear from a veteran.

One thing I should have made clearer is the turn order. You assumed (naturally) that I arranged the runners clockwise. That probably would have made sense. But for no good reason I spatially arranged the runners differently. I ordered the runners as follows:

1. Black ork
2. Red human
3. Blue elf
4. Green dwarf

I obviously put the ork first so he could absorb a lot of damage. I put the dwarf at the end hoping the other runners could protect him better, since he starts off with a pathetic opening hand but with lots of money.

Can you suggest a better ordering of runners?

Most of the roles seem to benefit greatly from having monochromatic decks, so even though some cards (like Clairvoyance) are useful for all players, as a beginner I typically try to buy cards matching the runner color. Why do you prefer that Clairvoyance be purchased by other players?

Incidentally, I'm not a big fan of Press the Advantage precisely because it punishes you for having a mostly single-color deck.

Another question: I really like my Mage to have Guiding Spirit, but in one game she bought three Guiding Spirits. That's probably waaaay too much, since if you have two Guiding Spirit in your hand, you can't use both for their special power.

(Technically, I suppose it's possible to use both in a single turn. You play one, discarding the other Guiding Spirit along with other cards. If your draw pile is small enough, you will need to reshuffle your discard, and you can presumably draw this just-discarded Guiding Spirit and then play it the same turn.)

I really like your idea to have done Cunning Plan on the Decker, so he could use Hack the World in round 1. Wow, that would have been super cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
msg tools
Round 1 play

Street Samurai throws everything he has against the Spell Sniper, eating the two damage from the Courier. He uses the Courier's Flipped ability to purchase Remington Roomsweeper for only 2 nuyen.

Face finishes off the Spell Sniper and gets through the first red level of the Courier, hopefully making it easier to defeat. She purchases Clairvoyance.

Mage finishes off Buzzback:

and purchases the super sweet Lightning Bolt, which was in the original Black Market display.

Due to the Crossfire card "Cunning Plan", Mage takes another bonus turn. (Unfortunately, this also means the Mage takes damage twice from Corporate Adept.)

She takes care of the colored level on Corporate Adept, and kinda "wastes" Lightning Bolt in order to set up Mercenary Elf Decker for the kill.

Decker's turn is looking good:

He easily finished off Mercenary Elf Decker, and when the Black Market phase rolls around, he has 10 nuyen in his pocket. He buys Hack the World, which is super sweet.

The Crossfire card for round 2 sucks: "It's Getting Real" since now Courier will be able to deal 2 damage to Street Samurai and Face.

As BCZ pointed out, I should have played Cunning Plan on the Decker, allowing him to play Hack the World in round 1; the Mage could have easily gotten Staggered in round 1 if I'd been a little unlucky. Didn't realize how close to disaster I was.

Here's how round 2 starts. Note DocWagon Contract has come out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
faucelme wrote:
Great feedback, thanks! Always good to hear from a veteran.

One thing I should have made clearer is the turn order. You assumed (naturally) that I arranged the runners clockwise. That probably would have made sense. But for no good reason I spatially arranged the runners differently. I ordered the runners as follows:

1. Black ork
2. Red human
3. Blue elf
4. Green dwarf

I obviously put the ork first so he could absorb a lot of damage. I put the dwarf at the end hoping the other runners could protect him better, since he starts off with a pathetic opening hand but with lots of money.

Tanks go in first.
Decker carries the team.
Mage nukes the softened up targets.
Face cleans up the mess.

Quote:
Most of the roles seem to benefit greatly from having monochromatic decks, so even though some cards (like Clairvoyance) are useful for all players, as a beginner I typically try to buy cards matching the runner color. Why do you prefer that Clairvoyance be purchased by other players?
Cheap Blue Assist damage.
The Mage needs to focus on buying cards that do more than one damage.
If the Mage needs to cycle their deck, then someone can Assist them into it.

Quote:
Incidentally, I'm not a big fan of Press the Advantage precisely because it punishes you for having a mostly single-color deck.
My Face LOVES this card, it lets him draw into his Covering Fire, Clairvoyance, and Backdoor cards. He's a real "Team Player".

Quote:
Another question: I really like my Mage to have Guiding Spirit, but in one game she bought three Guiding Spirits. That's probably waaaay too much, since if you have two Guiding Spirit in your hand, you can't use both for their special power.
Depends on the size of your deck and hand, doesn't it?

Quote:
(Technically, I suppose it's possible to use both in a single turn. You play one, discarding the other Guiding Spirit along with other cards. If your draw pile is small enough, you will need to reshuffle your discard, and you can presumably draw this just-discarded Guiding Spirit and then play it the same turn.)
See?

Quote:
I really like your idea to have done Cunning Plan on the Decker, so he could use Hack the World in round 1. Wow, that would have been super cool.
Except my turn order was different, since it was presumed clockwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
msg tools
Round 2 play

Street Samurai wastes his Remington Roomsweeper on just a single enemy, but this sets up Courier to be defeated this round. He buys the sweet Katana.

Face conserves her cards, waiting for scene 2, and purchases DocWagon Contract, in preparation for assisting Decker.

On Mage's turn, Face assists with Clairvoyance, in order to help Mage cycle through her deck and get back to her Lightning Bolt as soon as possible.

After finishing off Corporate Adept, she buys Guiding Spirit, another awesome card for cycling quickly through her deck.

Now for the Decker's turn:

Decker finishes off Courier with assistance from Face's DocWagon Contract, healing Street Samurai, since I plan to buy Monofilament Whip and attract enemies to attack Street Samurai. This plan never materializes. Decker keeps Hack the World for scene 2. Normally I want to play the big card (Hack the World) before I shuffle my discard pile to form a new draw pile, but it's good to have it for the upcoming scene anyway.

I could buy Backdoor but I decide to conserve my money and just buy Icon Grab.

For the Breather, Street Samurai buys Remington Roomsweeper, and Face buys Negotiation, eyeing Coordinated Attack (Face ended up only using Negotiation's special ability this once).

Scene 2

For scene 2, fortunately my Crossfire level is only 1. Gang Leader forces me to discard the next four cards in each deck, which turns out to be awesome. I cycle through my decks much faster and end up discarding only basic cards. This actually empties everybody's deck except the Mage; I was super lucky that the Mage's Lightning Bolt was at the bottom of the draw deck and was not discarded due to Gang Leader's ability.

The new Crossfire card is Grenade.

Who would you target with Grenade?

Round 3 (the upcoming round) is the amazing round, in which I was able to defeat all five obstacles in a single round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
msg tools
byronczimmer wrote:
faucelme wrote:
Tanks go in first.
Decker carries the team.
Mage nukes the softened up targets.
Face cleans up the mess.
OK, I may experiment with the next group of runners.

byronczimmer wrote:
faucelme wrote:
Cheap Blue Assist damage.
The Mage needs to focus on buying cards that do more than one damage.
If the Mage needs to cycle their deck, then someone can Assist them into it.
Interesting. I'll have to keep this in mind.

"Assist" cards are so key to this game, because they provide needed flexibility in responding to unanticipated threats.

byronczimmer wrote:
faucelme wrote:
My Face LOVES this card, it lets him draw into his Covering Fire, Clairvoyance, and Backdoor cards. He's a real "Team Player".
Colorful Face. OK, another thing to keep in mind in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
msg tools
Round 3 play

Since Face is the only one facing two obstacles, this seems to make sense. Grenade does a collective 10 points of damage to Face's obstacles.

Street Samurai uses Katana to beef up the other black cards, doing another 7 points of damage, to Knight Errant Field Agent and Bonelaced Adept. Unfortunately, he takes two points of damage from Trip Beams.

His draw pile is empty so he reshuffles, and is lucky enough to draw both Remington Roomsweepers.

Face now spends all of her cards, defeating both of the obstacles in front of her.

Demolitions Expert deals one level of damage to another obstacle. It was tempting to apply this to the 5 colorless level on Gang Leader, but instead I "waste" this ability to do a single red damage to Trip Beams.

Face buys Coordinated Attack, which I absolutely love, and Clairvoyance, to help cycle through decks faster (and also provide an assist card which I'm really light on).

Mage knows the last two cards of the deck contain the Lightning Bolt, so she plays Guiding Spirit to bring out the Lightning Bolt.

She plays Lightning Bolt and softens up two targets so Decker can clean up.

Now for the best turn of the round.

What should Decker do?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
msg tools
End of round 3

Decker uses Hack the World to play Press the Advantage from the Black Market. Normally I never buy Press the Advantage because it actually punishes you for focusing on one color. But in this case, my draw deck is empty, and my discard pile has exactly one of each of three colors. So Press the Advantage allows me to put all my cards into my hand.

Hack the World's damage defeats Trip Beams, and Press the Advantage defeats Gang Leader.

I am able to play Quick Shot to defeat Bonelaced Adept, and all five obstacles were defeated in a single round! The Crossfire level stays at 1 going into scene 3, and I have very strong hands, ready to face the scene 3 obstacles. Not to mention tons of nuyen.

Even better: I actually only played two cards from my hand this turn; the third card went into the Black Market discard. So I ended the turn with all but two cards in my hand. Super sweet.

(Ugh, at this point I cheated majorly here...I forgot that I don't get to draw two cards since I was waaaaay over three cards. So I cheated and drew back the two cards I discarded. Oh well. I was doing so well that even if I hadn't drawn back Hack the World into my hand prematurely, the rest of the game would have been a cakewalk.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls