Myth» Forums » General

Subject: Question: which hero is best? False; black bear. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tamas Werner
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
So while we all are waiting for news from Ulisses, let's play a little game.
How are the heroes of Myth ranked in comparison to each other?
For this I'm going to organize a tournament in which two heroes will compete directly in the following categories:

Power: How good is the hero in removing enemy figures from the board?
Versatility: Is the hero a One-Trick-Pony or can he fill multiple roles?
Potential: Are the advanced cards any good?
Fun: Do you have a fun time playing this hero?
Style: Do you like the theme of the hero?

I will choose the pairings randomly and give the community 1 week to vote for your favorite. Of course you can give reasons for your choice and try to convince others to vote the same as you

Have fun!

First round is the Swashbuckler vs the Archer
Poll
Swashbuckler vs Archer
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Swashbuckler
48.7% 19
Archer
51.3% 20
Voters 39
This poll is now closed.   39 answers
Poll created by TUNG84
Closes: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:00 am
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tamas Werner
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Here is my personal opinion on this match-up.

Power: Both are very good in getting rid of minions or dealing a lot of damage to single targets. No one is better at getting rid of lairs early than the Archer, but the swashbuckler is almost always able to do something due to his dual wielding. Depending on the situation this could go either way.

Versatility: As mentioned before, the ability to use interrupts as rush attacks greatly improves the swashbuckler's versatility. To a certain extend, this is also true for the Duelist. But since the swashbuckler starts with a dual wield weapon and the Archer doesn't, i'll give this point to the swashbuckler.

Potential: The fact, that the archer has double the amount of journeyman cards to choose from should play in his favour, but does it? Once the decision between ranger and duelist has been made, you're down to the same number of cards. And while the Swashbuckler's cards always work, the duelist's card are only used to their full potential while dual wielding and quite a portion of the ranger's cards depend on the presence of his ally. So this point I will give to the Swashbuckler.

Fun: I haven't really gotten the chance to play the swashbuckler myself, but i saw him in action on quite a few occasions. I played the Archer/Ranger a lot. And that in no small part because i really have fun sniping enemies, letting arrows block out the sun and making them cry so much that Orion's Tears should be renamed Onion Tears. So I will give this one to the Archer.

Theme: The Swashbuckler has a lot of fun movie references in the cards, which i really like. But my favorite thing in fantasy is archery. So this one goes to the Archer.

Okay, this is a close one. I think i'll go with the Archer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Callahan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm torn on this one as well,.... but I too love the ranged combat class - always have,.... the ability to disregard intervening enemies for LOS is just huge,.... and the archer also has two quite different paths at JM which each have their own distinct flavor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yamato2 wrote:
the archer also has two quite different paths at JM which each have their own distinct flavor.
Totally. I remember thinking that I was going to be a Ranger man through and through. Last game I played I ran with the Duelist - the versatility was really, really neat. I don’t think either was “better” but both were super interesting.

As for the poll - I think I’d give the edge to Swashbuckler, only barely. So far the only hero I would actively avoid is the Alchemist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevie P
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a great pick for comparison.
The Swashbuckler has more round to round choices as a starter character while the Archer has to build for that nuclear attack. Archer/Ranger with the leopard changes that.

For me this is as close to 50/50 as you could have picked, but I lean towards the Swashbuckler but only by a Rath hair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Ridinger
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both of them are characters I enjoy (tough first round match-up)but the Swashbuckler wins out in the end. I think it's the theme that wins out in the end for me on this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tamas Werner
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
And we have our first Winner! The Archer beats the Swashbuckler by one vote.
In Round Two we have the Master of all things mechanical, The Trickster, against the Menacing Malice Manipulator, The Outsider!
Place your bets now!
Poll
The Trickster or the Outsider?
Trickster
20.0% 4
Outsider
80.0% 16
Voters 20
This poll is now closed.   20 answers
Poll created by TUNG84
Closes: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:00 am

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevie P
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The problem with this choice is a support character vs a main character.

I have only played the GRIM modded Trickster, I can’t imagine playing it without his clockwork ally and combo resources.

The trickster Grim modded is really fun but the Outsider out of the box is really pretty good.

If it was a choice between the modded trickster and the Outsider it would be closer, but MCG trickster and Outsider, no contest. Outsider.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I enjoy the Trickster and love his lore, this is no contest for me. The Outsider can deal massive single target damage, support his team, and control the Darkness activations. I think he’s one of the best heroes out there, period. His upgrade path is also really interesting and powerful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tamas Werner
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
The Trickster is my favourite hero in the game. I only played him unmodded and still found him fun to play and useful to the team.
I only have seen the Outsider played by a friend of mine. He is definitly more powerful and easier to pull off than the Trickster.
It really shows that MCG put more work into the Swashbuckler and Outsider than any of the other additional heroes imho.
So my vote goes to the Outsider (though with a heavy heart).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Callahan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The outsider is a lot of fun to play,.... and has quite the ability to mess up the bad guys!

I love the malice mechanics and the "this for that" trade off between what he wants and what the party wants.

The downside to this is the potential alpha-gamer who really doesn't care about the party at all,...... but I'd leave that dude at the steps of the dungeon 6 days a week and twice on Sundays. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tamas Werner
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
The results are in and they are very clear. The Outsider continues on to the next round.
In Round 3 we have the Summoning Spirit and Groot impersonator, the Spriggan
vs
the only hero that cares about meter. Is it iambic? Is it trochaic? No, it's the Skald!
Poll
The Spriggan vs the Skald
Spriggan
90.5% 19
Skald
9.5% 2
Voters 21
This poll is now closed.   21 answers
Poll created by TUNG84
Closes: Sat Mar 2, 2019 6:00 am

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevie P
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am playing Grim modded for both of these.
Great job for picks as these are once again 50/50 for me and the choice is a difficult one.

Both have a ton of play choices and really fun right out of the gate. Both thematically are fantastic. Both have some of the most unique mechanics.

I think the Skald has more versatility and is able to effect play in different ways so edges over the Spriggan for me but not by much.

I feel like Grimzim’s advertising agent here but if you are unhappy with these heroes give his mods a go because they turned both of these picks into some of my favorite characters to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tamas Werner
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think the Spriggan can be a really effective tank. The amount of hitpoints he is able to regenerate is matched by no other hero. His cards are all over the place though. His ability to summon equipment hasn't been touched upon by his journeyman cards at all, his summons are mostly unaffected by his gear (some improvement though through the newly introduced green items), and his spells are restricted by the need for a special item. I feel MGC wanted too much for the Spriggan, a little more focus would have made this a very good hero.

The Skald on the other hand is limited by the requirement to play all verses together, thus forcing him to stand at the sidelines of strategic discussions: Once his action for the turn is done, he has nothing left to contribute. His Journeyman cards are way better than the Spriggan's though.

I'll give this one to the Spriggan, mainly because, as flawed as he is, the Spriggan is simply way more fun to play in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grim Reaper
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
steprov wrote:
I am playing Grim modded for both of these.
Great job for picks as these are once again 50/50 for me and the choice is a difficult one.

Both have a ton of play choices and really fun right out of the gate. Both thematically are fantastic. Both have some of the most unique mechanics.

I think the Skald has more versatility and is able to effect play in different ways so edges over the Spriggan for me but not by much.

I feel like Grimzim’s advertising agent here but if you are unhappy with these heroes give his mods a go because they turned both of these picks into some of my favorite characters to play.
I’m always happy when I know that not only my group but others like my mods! Thanks for your kind words!

I might be biased but I like the Spriggan most, It’s just satisfying when theme and mechanics are coming together in a character like this...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonny johnson
Germany
Hamburg
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why closing the polls? I'd like to see if the view on this changes over time.

I like the Skald fluffwise but prefer playing the Spriggan (mostly the Grizim version, as the vanilla version has some annyoing flaws). Mechanism are fun and though he's strong, he's not overpowered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tott Donetta
msg tools
TUNG84 wrote:
I think the Spriggan can be a really effective tank.

The Skald on the other hand is limited by the requirement to play all verses together.

I'll give this one to the Spriggan, mainly because, as flawed as he is, the Spriggan is simply way more fun to play in my opinion.
definitely valid points, but if you haven't already done so, try playing Grims version of both of these heroes, both massive improvements but the spriggan especially was very well executed.
I think comparing the skald and the spriggan is a very unfair comparison in that they are two very different characters with two very different roles and playstyles. the only was for me to compare them is to say: which do I find most fun, in the original forms the spriggan is painful at best but the skald is frustrating at worst. As i use grims version for both the spriggan definetly pips the skald so i'll give it to the spriggan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tamas Werner
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quote:
Why closing the polls?
since it is a tournament the poll has to close at some point. there are following rounds determined by their results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonny johnson
Germany
Hamburg
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TUNG84 wrote:
since it is a tournament the poll has to close at some point.
Sorry, somehow I totally missed that blush Makes sense now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tamas Werner
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
The Spriggan beats the Skald overwhelmingly... lots of treehuggers in this community it seems

Next up are the two melee-focused core heroes:
The Soldier vs the Brigand
Poll
Soldier vs Brigand
The Soldier
47.6% 10
The Brigand
52.4% 11
Voters 21
This poll is now closed.   21 answers
Poll created by TUNG84
Closes: Sat Mar 9, 2019 6:00 am

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tamas Werner
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Both the Soldier and the Brigand are very effective minion killers. The Brigand has probably a slight edge over the Soldier when it comes to targets with bigger health pools. Especially the Shadow is targeted towards killing big guys.
The Soldier shines, when he specializes into the Warrior. This the the ultimate Tank: difficult to hit, high health and the ability to protect your comrades by taunting enemies.
The Tactician and the Battledancer seem a bit similiar to each other in that they both excel in murdering huge numbers of enemies.

I really like that both of these heroes give you the choice of playing as something visually different from the standard fantasy choices.

I think that the Soldier is the better choice in bigger groups, while the Brigand is less dependent on others and shines in small groups.

Since i'm mostly playing in groups of 4 or 5, my preference goes towards the Soldier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JC
msg tools
Just dropping in a thumb for the Dwight Jim reference
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tott Donetta
msg tools
think id have to go for the soldier as well, regardless of group size i think its difficult to run a game without him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tamas Werner
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
In a last minute finish the Brigand manages to pull off a Suicide Run with extra Hustle to steal this round from the Soldier.

The next Match-Up won't be this close.
It's the Martial Arts Master: The Monk
vs
the Destroyer of Worlds: The Oppentice... i mean the Apprentice

Poll
The Monk or the Apprentice?
The Monk
7.1% 1
The Apprentice
92.9% 13
Voters 14
This poll is now closed.   14 answers
Poll created by TUNG84
Closes: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:00 am

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevie P
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This one is easy for me. The Apprentice. The Monk for me is my least favorite hero. A hero using its fists should be able to attack every round, but I find that he can’t do squat because of the whole stance nonsense. How hard is it to get into a stance? Well I have hands where they are shuffled towards the bottom of the deck and he is nothing more than a dude in his pajamas. Also how come there are no kicks. One dimensional, frustrating, and boring. The Apprentice has a plethora of different choices and spells to play. A similar choice for me would be which do you like better? An ice cold beer after yard work on a hot day or a punch in the nose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   |