Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
21 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Striking fear encounter set rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Messina
msg tools
Anyone else sick of seeing this encounter set? Ancient evils seems to appear a lot too, but at least it’s only 3 cards. Has anyone tried using its replacement from RtDL to other scenarios in order to add some much needed variety to the game? Seeing the art for striking fear over and over again is getting to be kind of an in joke in the gaming group I joined.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Kitts
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmb
Tommessina wrote:
Anyone else sick of seeing this encounter set? Ancient evils seems to appear a lot too, but at least it’s only 3 cards. Has anyone tried using its replacement from RtDL to other scenarios in order to add some much needed variety to the game? Seeing the art for striking fear over and over again is getting to be kind of an in joke in the gaming group I joined.
I've used the replacement set for a lot of scenarios. We haven't run into any problems yet (and it is nice to not deal with frozen in fear anymore) but it also means you're going to be taking a lot more physical damage, as that's the new set's jam for some reason.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Messina
msg tools
We were thinking of flipping a coin whenever striking fear or ancient evils is called for and that would decide if we use the replacement cards or original sets. That way instead of seeing ancient evils 4 or 5 times in a campaign we see it half the time.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tommessina wrote:
We were thinking of flipping a coin whenever striking fear or ancient evils is called for and that would decide if we use the replacement cards or original sets. That way instead of seeing ancient evils 4 or 5 times in a campaign we see it half the time.
This is Arkham, you'll probably end up 75%-25% in favour of Ancient Evils.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tommessina wrote:
Anyone else sick of seeing this encounter set?
No, not at all.

The base game encounter sets are the staple/standard type of obstacles, that mix well with the more thematic ones from the scenarios themselves.
I really don't mind seeing them repeated throughout the campaigns.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Messina
msg tools
It seems like a failure of creativity on the part of the designers that they have to keep falling back on the same obstacles again and again....and AGAIN instead of designing new ones.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tommessina wrote:
It seems like a failure of creativity on the part of the designers that they have to keep falling back on the same obstacles again and again....and AGAIN instead of designing new ones.
It is the limitations of the model. Each scenario can only contain cards from that Mythos Pack, the Deluxe box, and the Core. So the core encounter sets will be use in this game until the end of the game.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
One nice thing about RttDL is that it essentially "upgrades" some of the core sets. The rules never explicitly allow this, but I would think that some of the more "worn out" core sets can freely be replaced with these new ones (I know I am definitely retiring Ancient Evils and replacing them with Resurgent Evils).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tommessina wrote:
It seems like a failure of creativity on the part of the designers that they have to keep falling back on the same obstacles again and again....and AGAIN instead of designing new ones.
I love the mixture of new encounters mixed with familiar ones. It gives us consistent challenges to build our decks for. It also ties each campaign theme together very nicely. I would hate having completely new encounters for every scenario. How many versions of ghouls and rats do we need?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
who longs for oolong
badge
You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lack of creativity is not something I associate with this game at all. There is such a rich design space that they’ve built and exploited. The repetition of a few encounter sets is just fine. The variation of everything else more than makes up for it.

And as others have pointed out, alternate sets are being crafted, and there’s nothing holding you back from swapping them out.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:
One nice thing about RttDL...
(I think yoiu mean RttNotZ)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
who longs for oolong
badge
You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Esgaldil wrote:
baba44713 wrote:
One nice thing about RttDL...
(I think yoiu mean RttNotZ)
It’s both, though I think he meant RttDl, because it has an alternate set for Striking Fear, and maybe another core encounter.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Esgaldil wrote:
baba44713 wrote:
One nice thing about RttDL...
(I think yoiu mean RttNotZ)
No I don't
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Messina
msg tools
Sindriss wrote:
Tommessina wrote:
It seems like a failure of creativity on the part of the designers that they have to keep falling back on the same obstacles again and again....and AGAIN instead of designing new ones.
I love the mixture of new encounters mixed with familiar ones. It gives us consistent challenges to build our decks for. It also ties each campaign theme together very nicely. I would hate having completely new encounters for every scenario. How many versions of ghouls and rats do we need?
I agree but why not have some thing besides ghouls or rats over and over?

I will say those sets haven’t worn on my group yet but we’ve seen striking fear so much it’s getting a little worn out. Maybe just a break from that set for one cycle would be nice. Seeing that art over and over is one thing too. Especially since that set is 7 cards so it comes up a lot.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tommessina wrote:
Sindriss wrote:
Tommessina wrote:
It seems like a failure of creativity on the part of the designers that they have to keep falling back on the same obstacles again and again....and AGAIN instead of designing new ones.
I love the mixture of new encounters mixed with familiar ones. It gives us consistent challenges to build our decks for. It also ties each campaign theme together very nicely. I would hate having completely new encounters for every scenario. How many versions of ghouls and rats do we need?
I agree but why not have some thing besides ghouls or rats over and over?

I will say those sets haven’t worn on my group yet but we’ve seen striking fear so much it’s getting a little worn out. Maybe just a break from that set for one cycle would be nice. Seeing that art over and over is one thing too. Especially since that set is 7 cards so it comes up a lot.

Because Rats and Ghouls are in the Core set, and there a basic simple enemies for early in a campaign. I am sure the designers would love to be able to pull from any encounter set, but they don't want to force people to buy everything to play the newest stuff.

You can see that by how they replace these sets in the Return boxes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have noticed that tFA and tCU don't use a lot of core cards anymore and no striking fear (so far).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Messina
msg tools
spoiler:

.
.
.
.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
both are used....again in the same scenarioi.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Donghi
Italy
Near Milan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish they could just add to sets sometimes.
Like, a new mythos pack containing 4 new 'Bishop's Thralls' cards. If you also have the Bishop's Thrall cards from the Dunwich Legacy campaing, use them too in this scenario.
It's not mandatory, but you can use both sets for both scenarios.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
who longs for oolong
badge
You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Vittek wrote:
I wish they could just add to sets sometimes.
Like, a new mythos pack containing 4 new 'Bishop's Thralls' cards. If you also have the Bishop's Thrall cards from the Dunwich Legacy campaing, use them too in this scenario.
It's not mandatory, but you can use both sets for both scenarios.
That’s basically what the Return To boxes do. In the rules for those sets, it says you can use one or the other analogous set (eg Striking Fear or Erratic Fear), or even mix and match for a more chaotic game (if a set has 7 cards- shuffle both sets together and draw 7).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Eklund
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SJacobsen159 wrote:
Esgaldil wrote:
baba44713 wrote:
One nice thing about RttDL...
(I think yoiu mean RttNotZ)
It’s both, though I think he meant RttDl, because it has an alternate set for Striking Fear, and maybe another core encounter.
Is it really so difficult to write the name of the expansion normally?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Azikin wrote:
SJacobsen159 wrote:
Esgaldil wrote:
baba44713 wrote:
One nice thing about RttDL...
(I think yoiu mean RttNotZ)
It’s both, though I think he meant RttDl, because it has an alternate set for Striking Fear, and maybe another core encounter.
Is it really so difficult to write the name of the expansion normally?
Ys.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls