20 Posts

A Feast for Odin: The Norwegians» Forums » Strategy

Subject: New Openings? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ethan Lang
msg tools
mb
Anyone have any strong new openings? I figure something could be done with the new fifth column of actions, at the least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DePasquale
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The 5th column wouldn't be too strategic to start. Once you place in the 5th column, either 1 or 2 vikings, you signal that you will be passing the rest of the round. So it's only good to do at the very end. That being said, I haven't gotten a chance to play on the new boards yet, probably today. Wondering how different it will be

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Lang
msg tools
mb
I just meant that there could be a strong opening that ends the first round on the fifth column.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DePasquale
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OH gotcha!!! I have to look I'm really excited about the new boards!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Nichol
Canada
Strathmore
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if it's a good opening but if you can get 2 coins and beans then place 3 vikings to spend that to acquire 2 sheep or pigs on the first round, you can really get a great start with an animal strategy.

I believe you start with 6 vikings first round so 1 to acquire the coin and bean and then 1 viking to discard your starting occupation to get 2 coins or 2 vikings to to acquire mead, flowers and 2 coins then 3 vikings to spend 2 coins, 1 bean to acquire 2 sheep or 2 pigs and if you have 1 viking left then the 5th column to mountain strip/upgrade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The new two-viking action to gain three items from a mountain strip and two weapons cards is new my favorite first action. This helps my accustomed second action (some sort of hunting) nicely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Vandenberg
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've got a few good ones, most are solo viable as well.

Iceland Opener:

This one only works in a 3-4 player as Iceland isn't included unless with more players. I've posted this one already on the forums so if you want to read placement tips, you can check this thread: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2114493/new-strong-iceland-...

1V: 1 resource, 1 upgrade. Pick up a wood and upgrade mead to whale oil.
2V: Build a Knarr.
2V: Explore Iceland.
1V: Last action column Thievery.
Fill as much of Iceland as possible, feed with peas, flax, coin.

Whaling Boat Island Opener:

This used to be a good opener for Lofoten (and still is), but is doable with Isle of Skye and Isle of Mann now as well.

1V: 1 coin, beans
4V: 4 resources, 2 double upgrades. Upgrade beans and either peas or flax and play a profession
1V: Pay 1 wood and 1 coin to build a Whaling Boat and island
Fill to 2 income on any island, cover bonuses if possible, go whaling next round.

Artisan Shed Opener:

This is a bit flexible depending on which shed you end up getting. Ideally it wouldn't be the horse, cow, or whaling boat one as those require you to use some other actions.

1V: Gain one wood (either from the upgrade + 1 resource or 2 resource)
1V: Build the artisan shed
3V: Whatever works best
1V: 1 herbs, 1 mead, 1 coin
Use the herbs, both meads, peas, beans, flax and both coins to fill the artisan shed and feed.

Pig Opener:

This works ideally in a 3-4 player game but you can sub out two actions to gain coins in a solo or 2 player game. This allows you to gain a pig every turn for feeding purposes or placement in sheds.

1V: Discard profession and gain 2 coins
3V: Pay beans and 2 coins for 2 pigs
2V: Try to fill to 2 coins on home board or set up other turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Maguire
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son has used the following sequence for both the games we played so far:

With your first 3V, get yourself 3 coins. There are several ways to do this, including "selling" your starting occupation card for 2 if you don't like it.

With your last 3V:

2V: Buy a horse or cow in Livestock Market
1V: Exchange the animal for a salted meat (1x4 red) and leather (2x5 green).

That leather looks great as your first piece on your starting board.

And if you managed to get the 3 coins with only 2V, you still have 1V left, and you could upgrade it to wadmal (2x5 blue).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, I want the version where leather/wadmal is 2x7!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Maguire
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
waddball wrote:
Hey, I want the version where leather/wadmal is 2x7!

Oh dear. Corrected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Lang
msg tools
mb
Here's an opening I used to fill the essential parts of Isle of Skye by round 2. Caveat is that it really benefits from the 3w 1o space that seems to be removed for 2p games.

This is the build assuming you pass all rolls. I have contingency plans down below.

Round 1
2V 3w 1o
1V Whaling Boat (put ore in it)
3V Whaling (use Skin on home for 2 income)

Round 2
1V 2 upgrades (whale meat and oil)
1V Explore Skye
3V Whaling
2V 3 upgrades (skin, oil, whale meat)

Put green oil lower left, spices above, cloak next to that, rune below cloak, other cloak down there, fill rest with your 2 silver.

If you fail the whaling in round 1, then either snare or hunt plus upgrade. Hunting is preferable for the hide. Then in round 2:

If you snared in round 1:
1V Skye
3V Whaling
1V 2 Upgrades (whale meat and oil)
Flax to Linen
Use 5th column to upgrade the linen and take an ore.
Alternative to Flax upgrade if you have wood left is to take the 2V wood to chest craft.

If you hunted in round 1:
1V Skye
3V Whaling
1V 2 Upgrade
1V discard occupation for 2 silver
1V to use however you want

If you succeeded in whaling round 1 but failed in round 2, again you can hunt or snare:

Snaring Round 2
1V Skye
1V Failed Whaling
1V 2 Upgrade (whale meat, oil)
2V Snaring
1V 1 Upgrade and 1 Mountain
1V Flax to Linen

Hunting Round 2
1V Skye
1V Failed Whaling
1V Hunting
1V 1 Upgrade plus 1 Mountain
1V Discard occupation for 2 silver
2V 3 Upgrades

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Badger Man
Scotland
Edinburgh
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice openings

What do you mean Iceland isn't introduced unless with more players. Played 3 games so far and we play with all islands no matter the player count.

IIRC you can choose to add as many islands as you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Feathers
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
badger101x wrote:

What do you mean Iceland isn't introduced unless with more players. Played 3 games so far and we play with all islands no matter the player count.

IIRC you can choose to add as many islands as you like.
Officially the rules suggest playing solo and 2 player games with only the 4 new exploration boards, adding two boards for 3 player games, and adding all 4 of the original boards for a 4 player game.

But then it also goes on to state that if you wish you can also of course play with whatever exploration boards you would like to. So it is admittedly pretty up to each table to decide what exploration boards they would like to have available in any given game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Northern Polarity
msg tools
I just played a solo game where I ended up with 202 points, and most of that was due to this very strong opening. This opening does have the requirement of requiring a mountain strip to start with 2 wood + a stone: there are 3 such strips in the game (4 if the long one starts with that as well) so it's fairly common. This opening has a lot of branching paths, but the majority of outcomes are good and put you in a good position moving forward throughout the game. This opening does rely on some key spots so it might not be amazing for multiplayer, though its a little flexible so might still work.

The main theory behind this opener is that early bonus goods off of islands is still the most efficient thing you can do in the game, and focusing 100% on exploring and ignoring your homeboard early will get you a long way towards this goal. Our goals are therefore to efficiently build a whaling boat, explore an island, and consistently be able to fill it in and hit critical bonus goods as early as possible. The 5th row 1 wood + 1 silver -> build whaling boat + explore is absurdly efficient and effectively buys 1 action for 1 silver, and this build really wouldn't exist without that particular action.

The opener
2V: 3 resources + 2 weapons.
1V: Stone -> 1 Silver + Runestone
2V: A combination of actions to get you tiles (see below).
1V: 1 silver + 1 wood -> Build whaling boat and explore an Island (see below).

The actions that you choose to get tiles depend heavily on what you draw as your additional starting weapon and the 2 weapons off of the action. This opener only uses one of the two starting wood, so you only need a single bow/snare out of 3 draws in order to be able to pay 3 resources to succeed the row, which should be pretty good odds (though I didn't do the math). I would normally consider these hunting/snaring openings inconsistent, but in this case the extra weapon draws and wood does make it far more likely that you will actually succeeded on at least one of the two options.

2V: A combination of actions to get you tiles:

Option 1: If you drew 1+ bows in your opening 3 weapons:
1V: Hunting and succeeding.
1V: 1 resource + upgrade 1.

Option 2: If you drew 1+ snares in your opening 3 weapons:
2V: Laying a snare and succeeding.

Option 3: If you failed at snaring/hunting
1V: Snare/Hunting and failing.
1V: Flax -> Linen

This opener is mainly focused on what happens if you succeed in option 1/2, since the chances are very high given that you should have at least 3, and sometimes 4 of the resource needed to succeed from the 3 additional weapons that you drew. I'll give a contingency plan in case you fail, and keeping in mind that I haven't explored more deterministic openings as well:

Island Choices

Isle of Skye

If you succeeded in hunting, you should probably explore Isle of Skye. A 1x2 blue, 2x3 green, and 1x3 green will get you 2 income off of the island, and then you can use the 2 income to surround the runestone and get a runestone for the next round. This will also let you trivially fill in the wool/fish bonus next round as well, since there are only 15 easily shaped spaces to fill in, and you already have 2 from the runestone.

Laying a snare is also okay here though you should probably do Isle of Man instead unless you have a strong occupation for Isle of Skye: you can use the snare to get 1 income on Isle of Skye, and the runestone for 1 income on your home board. This isn't ideal compared to hunting, but you should still be able to get the wool + fish bonus on your next turn in solo mode if you focus all your efforts on doing so.

Isle of Man

If you succeeded in laying a snare, you should probably explore this island. A 2x4 green and 1x2 blue is enough to get you 3 income + mead, and set you up to fill in up to the pig bonus in the subsequent turn fairly consistently. On the second round, 3V: Whaling, 1V: flax -> Linen, 2V: Upgrade 1x4 green, 3x3 red, 2x3 green along with the 3 income from the previous round + at least 3 income in the following round will allow you to fill in the the pig bonus at the end of the round. This sequence ends up with a spare viking: if you want to increase the consistency of whaling, you can use the spare viking to get 2 wood. If you picked up enough harpoons from the weapons in the previous round or are feeling lucky, you can use this instead on some other action, such as one of the juicy 5th row actions.

A successful hunting opening can also explore this island, though it seems way worse than isle of skye: you can use the runestone + 2x3 green to simulate a pelt, but the 1x3 is awkward to fit into the island without making your future turns worse. I haven't thought much about how to make this work with whaling in the next turn, but it seems like a lot of trouble.

Finally, if you failed your hunting/snaring, you could use a linen for 2 income here + an easy mead surround, and the runestone on your homeboard for another income. It's much worse than the other 2 openings, but still not that bad all things considered, though you probably won't get the round 2 pig. This also turns out to be the only island that feels okay with the linen + runestone, so will probably be your backup plan.

Shetland

A hunting opening allows you to get 2 income + beans, fill in 3 income the next round, and have a 1x3 green to help fill in meat + silverware in the subsequent round. This opening also seems decent, though it feels like an inferior isle of skye for the most part unless you have occupation combos with shetland.

Lofoten

A hunting opening gets you fish + 2 income, but it doesn't hit a critical break point like the other islands since the 1x3 green is awkward to place here. The bonus goods on this island are also in general worse than the other islands so I'm not too excited about this. I'd be more excited if there was a way to get turn 1 pelt, but I haven't figured it out.

Faroe

Faroe seems to remain a meme since I can't figure out for the life of me how to fill this island efficiently. Neither of the openings are good for filling in faroe: best I can come up with is pelt + runestone covering up the peas for 1 income, but that just seems way worse than any of the other options.

It appears that I have written a dissertation on this opener at this point so I will stop here. Let me know what you all think of it! Keep in mind that this is mostly a solo-only opener: I don't expect this to be consistent enough to work in multiplayer enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Hurn
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Faroe is forever destined to be underwhelming. I know they rebalanced it slightly but the sheep on it seems to dramatically overvalue the island. In reality it's just not that good and most of it is the really awkward shapes.

If you could surround the sheep without getting to the top of the income track it'd be a bit better balanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gernot Köpke
Germany
Biebesheim am Rhein
(Süd-)Hessen, "Piratosoph" https://twitter.com/Gernot_Koepke
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stephen_the_geek wrote:
I think Faroe is forever destined to be underwhelming. I know they rebalanced it slightly but the sheep on it seems to dramatically overvalue the island. In reality it's just not that good and most of it is the really awkward shapes.

If you could surround the sheep without getting to the top of the income track it'd be a bit better balanced.
Please have in mind, that the island was at first made with an extra cabbage and one more income. As I did find in last minute a way to win always with ~10-20 VP more in the base game, it was reprinted (first 1000 games in English have a seconde Faroer to be removed by the reprint).
Even if this reprint made Faroer a bit as a trap for beginners, you just can win with it too.
And with the 10 VP instead of 4 VP on the renewed island (Norwegian expansion), it is now a good choice at my point of view.

If the sheep would be easier to get, it would be to strong and to much risc of scaling away. Maybe this is a problem of 'Scariff & Deenish' of a selfmade fan-island, where the sheep is too at the end of the income scale, but on an island, that need much more less stuff -> I had not tested it deeper yet for a more clear statement. [I am thankful and proud, that I got a copy of that island per mail]

Last weekend I did win a testgame with Faroer also in a six round game (with pushing effects of the harvest mini-expansion that was tested). In both, a 6/7 round game, you need to find a straight way to get the sheep at the end of income phase of round 2/3. Than it is a good choice. If you fail this aim, another island might be a better choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert V.
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Quote:
Northern Polarity
These are great suggestions. I think I've been underestimating the 3-resources + 2-weapons opener. I play strictly multiplayer, so I'm afraid to open up juicy 4-player mountain turns for my opponents, but it may be worth considering for the improved die roll.

I think Isle of Skye/Man are both very strong. 4-income openings are particularly easy to leverage with Isle of Man with something like 1V: 2Wood, 2V: Chest+1 Coin, 1V: Linen, 1V: Flex, 1V: Ship+Island.

This is also one of our favorite animal openings:

2V: 2Coins+Mead+Flax, 3V: 2Sheep, 1V: 1Coin+Mead+Herbs
1V: Wood+Upgrade Herbs>Pig, 4V: Market, 1-2V: Flex/Upgrade Herb>Pig

This sets you up with a breeding pair of sheep and pigs on round two, two income on your main board, and a flex play. I use the wool on my main board and save the blue 2x3 for an island, taking a wood with the 1V upgrade so I can leverage it towards an island expansion. If Orkney is available, you can V1: Ship, V1: Expand to Orkney, V3: Market 3, V2-3: upgrade (a sheep, 1-2 wool) for guaranteed cattle.

I agree with the rest of your island assessment. I'm never particularly upset if my opponent takes Lofoten -- I consider it a weak island, 4VP feels like it was balanced with pre-expansion values in mind. Otherwise, I'm happy to take it as Orkney. Shetland is also subpar but could be situational. Faroe... still remains the weakest island. The VP increase doesn't save it, as I'd rather take a longhouse expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cccplus wrote:
Here's an opening I used to fill the essential parts of Isle of Skye by round 2. Caveat is that it really benefits from the 3w 1o space that seems to be removed for 2p games.

This is the build assuming you pass all rolls. I have contingency plans down below.

Round 1
2V 3w 1o
1V Whaling Boat (put ore in it)
3V Whaling (use Skin on home for 2 income)

Round 2
1V 2 upgrades (whale meat and oil)
1V Explore Skye
3V Whaling
2V 3 upgrades (skin, oil, whale meat)

Put green oil lower left, spices above, cloak next to that, rune below cloak, other cloak down there, fill rest with your 2 silver.
After thinking about this it's actually more efficient with the 3 upgrades to do skin, cloak, whale meat. Same configuration but use the chest and oil for the runestone bonus. Leaves it easier to put more greens on the island later

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mister mystery
msg tools
mbmb
Gernial wrote:
stephen_the_geek wrote:

Please have in mind, that the island was at first made with an extra cabbage and one more income. As I did find in last minute a way to win always with ~10-20 VP more in the base game, it was reprinted (first 1000 games in English have a seconde Faroer to be removed by the reprint).
Even if this reprint made Faroer a bit as a trap for beginners, you just can win with it too.
And with the 10 VP instead of 4 VP on the renewed island (Norwegian expansion), it is now a good choice at my point of view.

If the sheep would be easier to get, it would be to strong and to much risc of scaling away. Maybe this is a problem of 'Scariff & Deenish' of a selfmade fan-island, where the sheep is too at the end of the income scale, but on an island, that need much more less stuff -> I had not tested it deeper yet for a more clear statement. [I am thankful and proud, that I got a copy of that island per mail]

Last weekend I did win a testgame with Faroer also in a six round game (with pushing effects of the harvest mini-expansion that was tested). In both, a 6/7 round game, you need to find a straight way to get the sheep at the end of income phase of round 2/3. Than it is a good choice. If you fail this aim, another island might be a better choice.
are those original prints available anywhere, would be fun to have

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gernot Köpke
Germany
Biebesheim am Rhein
(Süd-)Hessen, "Piratosoph" https://twitter.com/Gernot_Koepke
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterMystery wrote:
Gernial wrote:
stephen_the_geek wrote:

are those original prints available anywhere, would be fun to have
No. You need the luck to get an old English very early first print. There it was not removed, as people told me. The renewed one was simply added. I do have two old ones, but never used them again after the intensive solo-testing orgy that offered this result. Before it was just a feeling. I always had that much ornage stuff left over at the end, that reducing the cabbage-bonus on Faroer was no real question to me. Sometimes did just cover it for easier going to the sheep and still won too that high. A bow & arrow at the start is an important help to master Faroer as well as having no bad luck with the first hunting action. With a 1 or 2 on a dice it is much easier and faster. A 3 is more difficult and more paying is as bad as loosing in this first hunt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls