Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Folksman
United Kingdom
liverpool
Merseyside
flag msg tools
badge
Keep Crom and crush you enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their women.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

As a new player, I appreciate the time taken to devise learning scenarios. However, I would have thought there would be extended examples of play in the book, like in most GMT games. These examples of play assist greatly in learning the game.

Are there any examples of play out there on the internet presented in a learning the game context?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The latest designer’s rulebook, available in the Files section, has many illustrations and examples in it. It’s not an extended example of play but it could be very helpful for someone new to the game.

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/173760/use2-rulebook-livi...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Radom
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Furthermore I would start with the learning scenarios (poland france and norway). They are ieal to learn the basic game mechanics before you start the main event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kryspin Trych
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a few youtube's playthrough. The only one problem I can see most of them was end after the France campaign. I had a lot of problems with understanding Africa issues (logistics etc.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvatore Vasta
United States
Woodstock
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried writing an extended example of play several times, but found them turning into books themselves whenever I tried to cover all the aspects of the game and explain/reference the relevant rules. It took away from the reading experience and not teach very much. Consider how long the Sea Supply Line example is and that barely brushes upon interceptions and supply.

Instead, with the second printing we add and expanded the number of examples within the relevant rule. That way it rule was fresh in the player's mind and could easily be referenced back to.

I also recommend looking at the many videos out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurice Buttazoni
United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
svasta wrote:
I tried writing an extended example of play several times, but found them turning into books themselves whenever I tried to cover all the aspects of the game and explain/reference the relevant rules. It took away from the reading experience and not teach very much. Consider how long the Sea Supply Line example is and that barely brushes upon interceptions and supply.
I think you under estimate our insatiable hunger for solid examples of play in any new game that we commit to. I can't speak for others but a 20 page example of play that covers only 3 pages of rules would not deter me at all.

I don't think you need to explain/reference the rules for 80% of the example. Just knowing something can or can't be done and seeing the actual execution of a typical "operation" will often be enough to explain the intent of the game mechanics. We can go back and read the relevant sections of the rules with a lot more understanding after a good example of play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also recommend the VASSAL module as something to practice on. I've been through the Poland training scenario five or six times now in an effort to hammer in the concepts and get myself used to the game's differences from other games I've played on the subject.

Seeing counters with no factors on them whatsoever was surprising. You really do have to have a different mindset than you do in other WWII ETO games. The idea of the Mobile Attack (something you'll do a lot in the Poland scenario) takes some wrapping the head around. You can attack a unit, force them to retreat, attack the same unit again after advancing into their vacated hex, and the like is strange but also enables you to blow holes in the enemy line that can be readily exploited by faster units. You really have to figure out what you're doing before you try and do it, especially when you want to blast through those holes in the line and get to advantageous positions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris penoyer
United States
California
flag msg tools

I'm a new player as well

As someone who enjoys the challenges of a big game rulebook this one definitely has me feeling overwhelmed in bits. ha. it's all good.

would be nice if there were more videos out there that dug a bit deeper into the game..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Durrant
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Likewise - I just got this to the table. Initially I also felt longer examples would help but in retrospect they can't cover everything and there are so many variations possible.

I recommend the Gimpygamer videos with the rulebook in front of you and read the attached comments.

I've jumped straight into the Main Event scenario and just taking my time reading the relevant rules as I go along - the beauty of solo play. For instance, in the first turn the Allies wanted to move the BEF across to France. I spent some considerable time reading how it could be done, whether the move was likely to be intercepted and how they would deal with supply once there. Not to mention making sure the Home Defence rule was adhered to. It took a chunk of re-reading but nicely cemented those rules in my brain.

First impressions - loving this game. The Designer seems to be right up with any comments questions too which is commendable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Karlsson Mantel
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Case Blue pnp is also good to play a few times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris penoyer
United States
California
flag msg tools
GimpyGamer is how I discovered this game. His enthusiasm sold me.

Well i've read the entire rulebook over the last 3 days... and have been pounding out the training scenarios today.

I actually found a really great playthrough by Counter Attack who runs through the first 3 training scenarios in full... excellent video.

Starting to get more comfortable with the game now.. feel like i've got the meat and potatoes down.

the only thing that's still tripping me up is the mechanics of the politics with the cup and the different treaties... remembering what they do - and more specifically what turns them on and off and when.

Wish I could get my hands on the mounted boards.. but everyone seems to be sold out. i hope they are coming back. I'd rather have those on hand when attempting the grand campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvatore Vasta
United States
Woodstock
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
the only thing that's still tripping me up is the mechanics of the politics with the cup and the different treaties... remembering what they do - and more specifically what turns them on and off and when.
Remember there is a quick reference for policies in the back of the rulebook. Also, look at Playbook 33.2 for a section that groups the Pro-[Faction] marker rules together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls