Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Norton
United States
West St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
While I do find a game of M&M incredible fun, no matter how exciting its finish, I have had several games soured for some players by a boring finish. The worst offender is a gold stash, but selling goods or a run-of-the-mill raid is not the best, either.

Has anyone experimented with a rule regulating how you gain your last point?

I had tried “No gold stashing for the win,” but like I said above, there are other fairly unexciting ways to win.

I have also tried “You can only gain your last glory point by defeating a player or NPC frigate or galleon,” and this of course guaranteed a pretty strong finish.

What do you think of making missions and rumors another possible way to finish? Exciting enough?

Interested to hear thoughts on this. I am also open to the possibility that the right perspective might make this not a problem, perhaps stashing can be redeemed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Preservation Hall Jazz Band - So It Is
badge
Severance - Ling Ma
mbmbmbmbmb
KingOfRohan wrote:
The place to look (or post a thread like this one) would be the game's Variants forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Forrey
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think all of your suggestions would work. My gaming group only ever used stashed gold for tie breakers near the end, so the games were a bit longer. It all depends what you and your gaming group are looking for.

I love talking variants for this game, but there are many on the forum who don't like them, so you probably want to make sure you change the category from general to variants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Groth
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bforrey wrote:
I think all of your suggestions would work. My gaming group only ever used stashed gold for tie breakers near the end, so the games were a bit longer. It all depends what you and your gaming group are looking for.

I love talking variants for this game, but there are many on the forum who don't like them, so you probably want to make sure you change the category from general to variants.
Actually - Please move this to the Variants category so people looking for Variants can find it! With the title "Exciting Finish" I was expecting a play by play of a recent game which ended with a flourish.

Agreed that any of these could work as variants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Norton
United States
West St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sorry, I immediately thought better after posting, but cannot see how to move it to the variants forum?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KingOfRohan wrote:
While I do find a game of M&M incredible fun, no matter how exciting its finish, I have had several games soured for some players by a boring finish. The worst offender is a gold stash, but selling goods or a run-of-the-mill raid is not the best, either.

I had tried “No gold stashing for the win,” but like I said above, there are other fairly unexciting ways to win.

I have also tried “You can only gain your last glory point by defeating a player or NPC frigate or galleon,” and this of course guaranteed a pretty strong finish.

What do you think of making missions and rumors another possible way to finish? Exciting enough?

Interested to hear thoughts on this. I am also open to the possibility that the right perspective might make this not a problem, perhaps stashing can be redeemed.
Usually the game ends in 2 different exciting ways for us:

1) A very close game, more than one player are racing to the finish
2) One player is ahead of the other, usually with gold on board. Other player(s) can see they will finish soon. So, they do the right thing - attack! arrrh

Both of these ending types are thrilling.
Sometimes the game can give one player a lot of bad luck where they are very far behind, and don't see it worth attacking the other player.
Easiest thing to do is come to a consensus that one player will win the game and start again. Not such a dramatic ending, but it gives you a way of creating a new game ending that could be more thrilling.

Some games I crave more excitement and just attack players or NPCs to make it more enjoyable, and not worry about the win. Makes for a greater story when successful arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Preservation Hall Jazz Band - So It Is
badge
Severance - Ling Ma
mbmbmbmbmb
KingOfRohan wrote:
Sorry, I immediately thought better after posting, but cannot see how to move it to the variants forum?
Only an admin can move it, but the trick is to get their attention. Clicking the red X at the top of the thread is one way to do that (I've done so), but that can take time.

The surefire way would be for you (as the original poster) to contact
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb

One of his listed activies as an admin is "mover of threads", and as a bonus it appears he plays and enjoys Merchants & Marauders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KingOfRohan wrote:
I'm having a hard time understanding why so many people are saying this "would work" as a variant. It basically means the merchant only strategy can never win. Also, I don't know that I would ever pick a Seamanship 2 captain with this variant in play. Its one thing to have a 2 Seamanship and being able to strategically decide if you want to start a combat with somebody. Its an entirely different issue if a game rule is, not only going to force you into one, but force you into one at a specific point in the game. I've also won games using my starting sloop, so if a player never upgrades their ship, they basically get to avoid being attacked by a player looking for their final VP, but in contrast they will able to attack an upgraded player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
KingOfRohan wrote:
I'm having a hard time understanding why so many people are saying this "would work" as a variant. It basically means the merchant only strategy can never win. Also, I don't know that I would ever pick a Seamanship 2 captain with this variant in play. Its one thing to have a 2 Seamanship and being able to strategically decide if you want to start a combat with somebody. Its an entirely different issue if a game rule is, not only going to force you into one, but force you into one at a specific point in the game. I've also won games using my starting sloop, so if a player never upgrades their ship, they basically get to avoid being attacked by a player looking for their final VP, but in contrast they will able to attack an upgraded player.
Hear, hear.

Agree, forcing the game players to take a certain direction affects too many other things.

However, they could also just remove any 1 & 2 seamanship Captains from the deck. shake arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schwartzkopf
United States
Orange
CA
flag msg tools
badge
The science of history is a great bulwark against the stream of Time; in a way it checks this irresistible flood, it holds in a tight grasp whatever it can seize floating on the surface and will not allow it to slip away into the depths of oblivion
mbmbmbmbmb
Thread moved to variants
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls