Subject: Harsh rules to the rescue! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michele Carbone
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
Harsh rules have just released the last episode of the rules explanation for Hannibal!

The tutorial is great, go and check it out!

Phalanx you should send this guy a free copy of all the games you release from now on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To the rescue?

Hannibal has never felt particularly hard to understand from the rules...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
To the rescue?

There are about 150 threads in the rules forum which challenge that notion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitris Kapogeorgos
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And many more owners of the game who haven't asked a thing because they actually read its rules (and didn't rely on someone else finding a rule for them).

Difficulty is a matter of opinion, taste, preferences, etc.
Let's not start a debate on this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

elminster41 wrote:
And many more owners of the game who haven't asked a thing because they actually read its rules.
I've read its rules from cover to cover and I still had questions. Thus how do you account for me? I've read the rules for over 200 other medium-heavy weight boardgames, and usually answer other people's questions. I've been around the block a few times. I'm a good technical reader, as I've written rulebooks and military regulations. But I still had questions after reading these rules.

So I suspect that the "many owners" who haven't asked a thing, didn't do so either because they simply don't care if they get a minor rule wrong (there are many gamers in this category), or they don't realize that they're misunderstanding a rule, or they have experience from previous versions of this game.

But for people who do care about getting every rule correct, and that don't have experience with this game, then for those people, the rulebook has holes. The fact that they've had to do a re-write in order to add rules and clarify others is proof.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitris Kapogeorgos
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your opinion, dear Barry.

Although it is true for many, it's not true for me and many other players of this game.

You are not obviously willing to change your mind about the rules of this game. So am I, for my own reasons. This is, therefore not a discussion, and I am not going to participate in it any more.

So, thank you again for your opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ancient Knowledge
I think I've got every edition of Hannibal and I'm sorry to say the latest rules are significantly harder to grasp than the original Avalon Hill. I ascribe this to them never having been sprung on a newbie group for testing before publication.

There might be an AH rules set in the files. Take a look at that and see if it helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Carbone
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
elminster41 wrote:
And many more owners of the game who haven't asked a thing because they actually read its rules (and didn't rely on someone else finding a rule for them).

I am sure that there are a lot of people who don't mind gaming with the dice in one hand and the rulebook in the other but I'm not one of these, especially if I have to teach.

I don't have days to do rule explanations and some of the people I play with never touched a wargame so I don't want to be continuously referring to the rulebook, especially if said rulebook does not give a good overview of the overall flow of the game.

The organisation is off, the format is off, readability is low, especially compared to some GMT ones I have read earlier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Carbone
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
elminster41 wrote:

Although it is true for many, it's not true for me and many other players of this game.

You are not obviously willing to change your mind about the rules of this game. So am I, for my own reasons. This is, therefore not a discussion, and I am not going to participate in it any more.

So you just materialised here to plop your opinion and disappear.

You could have saved yourself some time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't like the newest rules, print this:
Universal Head HANNIBAL: ROME VS CARTHAGE Rules Summary & Reference and throw the optional stuff out.

Of course, if the video linked in the OP is good, it could be a fine preparation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitris Kapogeorgos
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
arcadebox wrote:
elminster41 wrote:

So you just materialised here to plop your opinion and disappear.

You could have saved yourself some time.

Naaaaahhhh, plenty of time to spare plopping my opinion, as all of you have been doing so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Folksman
United Kingdom
liverpool
Merseyside
flag msg tools
badge
Keep Crom and crush you enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their women.
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
To the rescue?

wow you are so wrong
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meduseld Edoras
msg tools
elminster41 wrote:

Are you suggesting that the rules are perfect and that there is no ambiguity to them at all?

Do you believe that anyone who reads the rulebook cover-to-cover and still has questions afterwards is just not as smart as you? Or doesn't have excellent reading comprehension like you do?

Oh wait. No, you don't think that because I just found this comment that you wrote: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/30038853#30038853

elminster41 wrote:
It might not be crystal clear in the rulebook, but using some common sense you can arrive at a conclusion.
Interesting... So which is it? Anyone who actually reads the rulebook should have no questions? Or anyone who reads the rulebook could reasonably have some questions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitris Kapogeorgos
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
e. All of the above. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin S
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arcadebox wrote:
Harsh rules have just released the last episode of the rules explanation for Hannibal!

The tutorial is great, go and check it out!
Looking forward to the Hamilcar episode(s), just to check I've got everything right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls