Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Burden
United States
Streator
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. If I am in a hex that is rough with being attacked from three directions with wadi's on three sides is that +4 or +2 added to the hexes defence factors? Are the terrain effects than cumulative?

2. When you move onto new turn with replacements and reinforcements. You have to pull the reinforcement chit to get that turns reinforcements? Do units that are replacements switched at the point the reinforcement chip is pulled or do you replace them with the new units at the start of the new turn?

3. If I have a friendly unit on in a hex that would otherwise be in a zoc of an enemy unit is that hex considered a contested hex and would not allow supply to flow to units past that hex?

Thanks, having fun but I still have had the same questions after several plays through of the introductory scenario.

E. Burden
turks1966

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Knarr
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good questions!

1. Not sure about this one, but my only strategic reference (No Retreat) handles it that hexside modifiers only apply when ALL attackers attack across that specific terrain feature. I imagine it that the units who lead the charge are the ones that don‘t have to cross the terrain festure so that the others can cross the obstacle with no or light opposition.

2. Replacements are their own turn segment before the action chit phase so no, they do not come together with reinforcements. Check your SOP for that.

3. Yes, the hex would be the definition of a contested hex (two opposing units projecting their ZOCs into an ampty hex both count that hex as uncontested EZOC!), but the supply is never blocked by contested ZOCs (uncontested EZOCs only block the overland part of supply).

I feel like the rules for this game are very much written for experienced wargamers, which left me scratching my head sometimes with some details. Again, „gateway wargames“ like NR! Or Combat Commander take you more by the hand with standardized wargaming rules like TECs (for example, the fact that hexside terrains add their movement value to the other terrains‘ instead of replacing it was something we had to rule using common sense).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Carey
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For #2, the replacements take place in a separate phase at the beginning of the turn, see the 16.0, sequence of play, and 17.0, replacement phase.

For reinforcements, they arrive when the reinforcement chit is pulled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Raicer
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
>1. If I am in a hex that is rough with being attacked from three directions with wadi's on three sides is that +4 or +2 added to the hexes defence factors? Are the terrain effects than cumulative?

Terrain effects are cumulative by TYPE, so you'd get the modifier for the rough terrain and the Wadi but not multiple Wadis. Also, Wadis (unlike Ridges) require every attacking unit to be across a Wadi.

2. When you move onto new turn with replacements and reinforcements. You have to pull the reinforcement chit to get that turns reinforcements? Do units that are replacements switched at the point the reinforcement chip is pulled or do you replace them with the new units at the start of the new turn?

On Turn 3 you get a special Reinforcement Phase, otherwise they come out when the chit is pulled. That goes for upgrades, conversions, and withdrawals as well. Replacements are taken during the Replacement Phase at the start of the turn.

3. If I have a friendly unit on in a hex that would otherwise be in a zoc of an enemy unit is that hex considered a contested hex and would not allow supply to flow to units past that hex?

Contested hexes ALLOW friendly supply. In effect the friendly unit negates the enemy ZOC for supply. Supply for the Overland portion(only) cannot be traced through Uncontested enemy ZOCs. Also note the errata on the meaning of "inclusive" and "exclusive" in 10.1.1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Burden
United States
Streator
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,
Thanks, for the reply, it cleared everything up. Great Game by the way, having a lot of fun.

B. Burden

turks1966

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
roger miller
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
I attack a hex through three wadi hexsides and one ridge hexside. As I understand it you would only be penalized for the ridge as you did not attack through all wadi hexsides so no wadi effect applied.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls