Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Civilization Name: Gaia

Home System: Empty Space (no planet)

Starting Fleet: Gaia (with 3 Colonies) and a Starbase

Super Unit: The planet Gaia (1 punchboard disc, continents are 3 Metal, 3 Atomics, and 3 Organics)
Gaia is a unit with 1d12 attack, and cannot be destroyed by any means. She may move as if she were a Ship.

Weakness: Majesty
Moving into a system containing your Starbase still costs a Key Action

Strength: Verdant
Any Build actions in Gaia's system have zero cost

Victory: Ejecta
Whenever you gain a Secret by any means, you may place a Colony or Starbase in Gaia's system, if there's room

Super Tech A: Rare Earth
When you Produce, gain all of what Gaia produces, regardless of whether you chose Metal or Atomics

Super Tech B: Extrachorostrial
Any time your Ships (but not Gaia herself) Move out of Gaia's system, it is not a Key Action

------------------------------------------------------

This civ is inspired by the trope of the living and/or sentient planet (e.g. Unicron and Ego)

EDIT: Thinking more about what the Citizens might be, I've decided that Gaia is a super-organism which has taken over and driven deep into the original planet, kind of like Pando on steroids, though not necessarily a plant (maybe something like The Thorian from Mass Effect)

Accordingly, it's Citizens are 'cuttings', which might in (an incredible amount of) time take over their own planets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
mbmbmbmbmb
This is actually a pretty cool sounding Civ.

I know Sandy has some half-developed Civ ideas just in case we ever need more Civs down the road. Maybe this can be one of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Permission granted, fwiw whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O'Connor
msg tools
mb
And thus, it begins.

I've been tempted to do something like this, but I don't have the funds to invest in the game, so I feel guilty for trying to fan in stuff I don't understand fully.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sevan Pasch
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the Civ might benefit if Gaia's Continents had one of each resource, instead of three of one kind. In addition, can other civs build on Gaia?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Other Civs can totally build on Gaia

My original thinking with Gaia's continents was:
- She doesn't care if she loses the 3 Organics one after she's Salvaged, which means it's more likely to be left open for another Civ to hitch a ride
- Between the Atomics-heavy and Metal-heavy continents, she has a choice about which one she'd rather protect, and enemies have a choice about which one they'd rather attack
- Once you get Rare Earth, you know longer care which specific Continent you have a Colony on anyways, since you always benefit from the full production from all Continents (even if an enemy Colony is present, and even if Gaia has zero Colonies present)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sevan Pasch
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, that makes sense.