Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played our first couple games of Venus (base game) now. We're not that interested in the team play but I think that it is the better version of the game to play over the base game now.

Specifically, we liked:
- the thicker wine purchase board as opposed to the one that came in the Egypt map (we always like this version better than the cloth one)
- the new Magister card to allow you to play your discarded card
- the new cards for purchase like the Prefect/Architect cards
- the new Venus scoring cards for having two cities in the same province

The only minor complaint we had was the brick/wine were nearly the same color. They really should have made the wine more red.

I don't see us playing the old base game over this version.

Anyway, if you've played the base game lots like us, you may enjoy the minor improvements that Venus makes to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris ward
Scotland
Paisley
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not used any of the new stuff yet, most of it sounds quite interesting. With one exception- I am very wary of the Magister card which looks like it will undermine one of the key angst points in the game by allowi g players to duplicate an already played card (in contrast I love the diplomat card). To be fair, I'll may be feel differently when I finally try it but it looks like a poor design choice to me at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nic

Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cw67q wrote:
I've not used any of the new stuff yet, most of it sounds quite interesting. With one exception- I am very wary of the Magister card which looks like it will undermine one of the key angst points in the game by allowing players to duplicate an already played card (in contrast I love the diplomat card). To be fair, I'll may be feel differently when I finally try it but it looks like a poor design choice to me at the moment.
I've only played the team game so far, so I haven't got to play the Magister yet. I do really want to give it a try though. I don't think it will be that overpowered because the timing of it will be difficult, and require lots of planning to execute it to its fullest extent. I do like the idea of that.

I also want to try the dual purpose cards, as they were all hoovered up before I could by them in the game I played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shak S
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What is the wine purchase board? (I don't have the Egypt map)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nic

Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sshaikh wrote:
It's the card display. Instead of the extra specific resource always being cloth for the more recent arrivals in the card display it alternates between wine and cloth. Seen here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikolai
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
Hidden trackable information in games sucks!
badge
I play games for fun and pursuing the goal to win the game is fun! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
sshaikh wrote:
It is a variant card display board for the cards for sale area. It has different additional costs, exchanging 1 cloth for 1 wine on the cards for sale spots 4, 6, and 7.
For the official rule bits on it, see p. 5 of the Venus rulebook or the only page of the Aegyptus / Creta rulebook (you can search for "display").

EDIT: Ninja'd! ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Farnan
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RedEyedGhost wrote:
sshaikh wrote:
It's the card display. Instead of the extra specific resource always being cloth for the more recent arrivals in the card display it alternates between wine and cloth. Seen here.
Ooh, I was not aware of this! Even more excited to try it now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mário Sousa
Spain
Barcelona (currently)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RedEyedGhost wrote:
sshaikh wrote:
I didn't know about this either! thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Castaneda
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
HowitzerBug wrote:
RedEyedGhost wrote:
sshaikh wrote:
Ooh, I was not aware of this! Even more excited to try it now
I concur that the wine and cloth display is a lot of fun to use. It really helps to break up the cloth monopoly strategy and it keeps the game running along more smoothly as the cards become slightly easier to acquire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ccast291 wrote:

I concur that the wine and cloth display is a lot of fun to use. It really helps to break up the cloth monopoly strategy and it keeps the game running along more smoothly as the cards become slightly easier to acquire.
If you play with Salsa, you'll find Wine is more sought after than Cloth. We never use the optional card row, and CLoth doesn't dominate at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Castaneda
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Kelanen wrote:
Ccast291 wrote:

If you play with Salsa, you'll find Wine is more sought after than Cloth. We never use the optional card row, and CLoth doesn't dominate at all.
Interesting... I have been reading up on how Salsa is a very worthwhile addition to the game. I do believe that I have found my next boardgame purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
river tam
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also liked the two maps that come with the expansion version. Still not sure on the team play (we played with 6 and I suspect it's better with four)

So even without the team play, I thought this was a worthwile purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
river tam
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RedEyedGhost wrote:
cw67q wrote:
I've not used any of the new stuff yet, most of it sounds quite interesting. With one exception- I am very wary of the Magister card which looks like it will undermine one of the key angst points in the game by allowing players to duplicate an already played card (in contrast I love the diplomat card). To be fair, I'll may be feel differently when I finally try it but it looks like a poor design choice to me at the moment.
I've only played the team game so far, so I haven't got to play the Magister yet. I do really want to give it a try though. I don't think it will be that overpowered because the timing of it will be difficult, and require lots of planning to execute it to its fullest extent. I do like the idea of that.

I also want to try the dual purpose cards, as they were all hoovered up before I could by them in the game I played.
in my one play, I think the timing issue keeps it from being overpowered. I t was only really helpful to me once in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls