Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Aeon's End: Legacy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question on final focus of a breach rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Reid
Canada
Squamish
British Columbia
flag msg tools
If you focus a breach, and the card has the yellow at the top and flip over symbol. Do you have to pay an additional 2 aether to flip the card to permanently open the breach? Or does the last focus of the card allow you to flip it over without having to pay additional 2 aether.

I am guessing you have to pay the additional 2 aether to flip the card over after focusing it this point.

Just bought aeons legacy, and can't figure that out.

Thanks!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N. P.
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, when the breach is facing up, focusing it and opening it is the same thing.

Edit: Waow grammar fail.
5 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reid
Canada
Squamish
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Awesome!!!!
Makes life a little easier for us!
Thanks.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not entirely clear on what you are asking. You do have to pay the focus/open cost to flip the breach over (it's not free just because the breach is pointed up).

If breach II is currently pointed left, with 2$ to focus, 3$ to open on top, I can spend 2$ to focus the breach and rotate it so that the yellow quadrant is pointed up. The next time I focus the breach, I will flip it over and open it permanently. That final focus/open costs 2$.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua N
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wpflug13 wrote:
I'm not entirely clear on what you are asking. You do have to pay the focus/open cost to flip the breach over (it's not free just because the breach is pointed up).

If breach II is currently pointed left, with 2$ to focus, 3$ to open on top, I can spend 2$ to focus the breach and rotate it so that the yellow quadrant is pointed up. The next time I focus the breach, I will flip it over and open it permanently. That final focus/open costs 2$.
I believe he is asking if you have to pay both the focus and open cost for that final breach position (but you only pay once, which is why the focus cost and final open cost are always the same for each breach!).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reid
Canada
Squamish
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Ok - I think I got it.

Steps
1)breach pointing left.
Pay 2 aether to focus it and turn card (can place a spell on it).

2)breach is now at the top of turned card.
To permanently open breach requires 2 aether to flip the card over.

Thanks.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Leadingpipe wrote:
Ok - I think I got it.

Steps
1)breach pointing left.
Pay 2 aether to focus it and turn card (can place a spell on it).

2)breach is now at the top of turned card.
To permanently open breach requires 2 aether to flip the card over.

Thanks.
The only thing I'd add is that you could have paid 3$ in step one to permanently open Breach II immediately instead of paying the 2$ to focus it. Costs are different for Breaches III and IV but the sequence is the same.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rickard Nilsson
Sweden
Gothenburg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mynameisthis wrote:
Yep, when the breach is facing up, focusing it and opening it is the same thing.
Wait, what? Are you sure?

So if you have a breach at its "max focus", can I open the breach with Neural Wreath ("Focus any player's breach.")? If so, I would really like to have a clarification what rules allows me to do that.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alistair Davidse
South Africa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mysticum wrote:
mynameisthis wrote:
Yep, when the breach is facing up, focusing it and opening it is the same thing.
Wait, what? Are you sure?

So if you have a breach at its "max focus", can I open the breach with Neural Wreath ("Focus any player's breach.")? If so, I would really like to have a clarification what rules allows me to do that.
Page 14 of the rulebook (under "Focus a breach"):

"A breach that has been rotated so that the yellow quadrant is at the top can be opened by an effect that would otherwise focus that breach."
14 
 Thumb up
1.50
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rickard Nilsson
Sweden
Gothenburg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Citanul wrote:
Mysticum wrote:
mynameisthis wrote:
Yep, when the breach is facing up, focusing it and opening it is the same thing.
Wait, what? Are you sure?

So if you have a breach at its "max focus", can I open the breach with Neural Wreath ("Focus any player's breach.")? If so, I would really like to have a clarification what rules allows me to do that.
Page 14 of the rulebook (under "Focus a breach"):

"A breach that has been rotated so that the yellow quadrant is at the top can be opened by an effect that would otherwise focus that breach."
Wow, completely missed that one. That is a huge one, thanks!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingebrigt MegÄrd
Norway
flag msg tools
Can you focus a breach that has been opened?
If you have skill that grants you some benefit whenever you focus a breach, can you then use "Focus any player's breach" even if all breaches are opened, to gain such benefit?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toeknee n
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
vitality2007 wrote:
Can you focus a breach that has been opened?
If you have skill that grants you some benefit whenever you focus a breach, can you then use "Focus any player's breach" even if all breaches are opened, to gain such benefit?
Once a breach is opened, it can no longer be focused nor can it be opened again... unless, there was some effect that closed the breach.

Edit: Added the caveat that if the breach was closed, it could be focused and reopened even though no such effect currently exists (to my knowledge).

2 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Kopelman
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Mysticum wrote:
Citanul wrote:
Mysticum wrote:
mynameisthis wrote:
Yep, when the breach is facing up, focusing it and opening it is the same thing.
Wait, what? Are you sure?

So if you have a breach at its "max focus", can I open the breach with Neural Wreath ("Focus any player's breach.")? If so, I would really like to have a clarification what rules allows me to do that.
Page 14 of the rulebook (under "Focus a breach"):

"A breach that has been rotated so that the yellow quadrant is at the top can be opened by an effect that would otherwise focus that breach."
Wow, completely missed that one. That is a huge one, thanks!
So did my group, and we've been playing Aeon's End for a while.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls