Wings of Glory: WW1 Rules and Accessories Pack» Forums » General

Subject: The one thing this game needs... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derrick C
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Premium replacement decks. Plastic cards. I'd buy them. Or at least just sell normal replacement decks.

I have a very worn F deck that needs replacing. So I need to buy another model, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Horinek
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Dan Dare, 1950
badge
Stairway scare, Dan Dare, who's there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sleeve it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
yeeshkul wrote:
Sleeve it.
Sleeving works best for the damage cards, not so much for the movement cards. When you sleeve the movement cards, it’s harder to get your plane properly oriented onto the card, plus, they’ll slide around a lot. Just my opinion of course...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick C
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have thought of sleeving them with opaque backs so different colors can be different planes. But I have the same concerns MayorJim points out. Although, I never tried. I don't own mini sleeves. So I'm guessing by how normal sleeves fit normal cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Rodrick
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are just sleeving your cards, I recommend using the thicker sleeves. I used the thinner, less expensive sleeves and now that they have been played quite a bit they really stick together. Eventually, when time and money allow, I will switch to the heavy-duty sleeves. In my experience with other games they hold up much better and are less inclined to stick. YMMV

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick C
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rrodrick wrote:
If you are just sleeving your cards, I recommend using the thicker sleeves. I used the thinner, less expensive sleeves and now that they have been played quite a bit they really stick together. Eventually, when time and money allow, I will switch to the heavy-duty sleeves. In my experience with other games they hold up much better and are less inclined to stick. YMMV
Do you find that it's easy to line up plane bases and plane cards with the sleeves deck?

I might just sleeve them if the wear and tear gets out of control. Or for multiple copies of planes of the same deck. Do you think the measurement would be off between sleeved and non-sleeved decks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick C
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I might have to experiment with this F deck.

I have nothing to lose, I guess.

My plan is to sleeve it so the line up parts are up against the opening.

I really don't think I need to sleeve damage decks as I'm just not that rough with them.

However, I feel like I will need to sleeve them if I end up sleeving maneuver cards, because I would need them to be clear if I'm using opaque backs for manuever cards.

But I wish companies would make replacement decks or put white borders on the back of their cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
DerrickC wrote:
I might have to experiment with this F deck.

I have nothing to lose, I guess.

My plan is to sleeve it so the line up parts are up against the opening.

I really don't think I need to sleeve damage decks as I'm just not that rough with them.

However, I feel like I will need to sleeve them if I end up sleeving maneuver cards, because I would need them to be clear if I'm using opaque backs for manuever cards.

But I wish companies would make replacement decks or put white borders on the back of their cards.
Yep...I’m all in on replacement decks! 👍
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick C
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, apparently no one makes opaque mini sleeves? That would've been ideal for having multiple decks of the same type.

I do think I can still use my F deck. The wear on the cards seem to all wear in the same place, so it's hard to determine which each was. I was just bummed, because the Immelmann Turn seemed to get more worn than the others.

But a couple things about the wear on these cards.

1) It's hard to see at the opposite end of the table.

2) Most of the time, people are so wrapped up in what they are doing, they are not paying attention to the cards you put down. (And why would they really?)

I am still interested to know how people maneuver planes in sleeved decks. It seems more headache than what it's worth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I’m a bit surprised that your movement cards are wearing out since they don’t get shuffled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick C
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MayorJim wrote:
Actually, I’m a bit surprised that your movement cards are wearing out since they don’t get shuffled.
I am too! Most of my decks are fine, but I have certain guest planes and this is one of them. But again, not really sure what happened here. They aren't super worn, but I can see it getting worse with more plays. I'm just nervous that a tear or something might happen.

But I do think premium plastic decks would be amazing for several reasons:

1) You don't have to worry about wear as much.
2) If you make different backgrounds like 3 sets of one type (like I've heard WoW had). People like me would want to buy more planes of the same type.
3) People just like better components once they learn to love a game. I think this would sell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: 2...I just checked a couple of my WoW planes (I’ve got them all) and the backs of the maneuvers cards are all the same. Not sure where you got your info on cards of the same plane type had different backs? It would have been a good idea though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick C
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MayorJim wrote:
Re: 2...I just checked a couple of my WoW planes (I’ve got them all) and the backs of the maneuvers cards are all the same. Not sure where you got your info on cards of the same plane type had different backs? It would have been a good idea though!
Not different backs, but different backgrounds to the maneuvers. Someone said there was Forest, Desert, and Ocean.

But I mean, backs would be great too. Just anything to make it easy to distinguish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, yes. That’s correct. However; if you arrange all the cards properly, the backgrounds on the maneuver side form a “picture” of the ground/battlefield. But, they are not unique to different planes. Planes with fewer maneuver options will have parts of the “picture” missing since there are fewer cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick C
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MayorJim wrote:
Oh, yes. That’s correct. However; if you arrange all the cards properly, the backgrounds on the maneuver side form a “picture” of the ground/battlefield. But, they are not unique to different planes. Planes with fewer maneuver options will have parts of the “picture” missing since there are fewer cards.
Is that true for the new maneuver decks? I have not tried this, but now I will!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
DerrickC wrote:
MayorJim wrote:
Is that true for the new maneuver decks? I have not tried this, but now I will!
Hmmm...I don’t know? I haven’t tried that with them...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DerrickC wrote:
Not different backs, but different backgrounds to the maneuvers. Someone said there was Forest, Desert, and Ocean.
This has been true in the past for some WW2 Wings of War decks.

Sometimes, some WW1 decks tended to be land for most planes, sea/coast for some seaplanes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MayorJim wrote:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
angiolillo wrote:
MayorJim wrote:
Exactly!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam wilson

Oklahoma
msg tools
when I pnp a card deck that will see heavy use I usually laminate them. The cards are basically bomb proof and it doesn't change their dimensions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick C
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adam wilson wrote:
when I pnp a card deck that will see heavy use I usually laminate them. The cards are basically bomb proof and it doesn't change their dimensions.
How does it not change their dimensions though? Aren't you left with the same type of rim around the card that a sleeve gives you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam wilson

Oklahoma
msg tools
DerrickC wrote:
adam wilson wrote:
How does it not change their dimensions though? Aren't you left with the same type of rim around the card that a sleeve gives you?
If you laminate the whole sheet before you cut them out, you won't have any over-lap, the plastic stops at the cut. This does leave an open edge of paper around the card but the dimensions are the same. You can't really do this with production cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick C
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adam wilson wrote:
DerrickC wrote:
adam wilson wrote:
If you laminate the whole sheet before you cut them out, you won't have any over-lap, the plastic stops at the cut. This does leave an open edge of paper around the card but the dimensions are the same. You can't really do this with production cards.
So you are making your own deck. You copy the deck on to stock paper, laminate, and cut? Is that all there is to it?

This could work will if you did on different colored paper, then I'd have the two things I want. An indestructible, easy to pick out deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam wilson

Oklahoma
msg tools
DerrickC wrote:
So you are making your own deck. You copy the deck on to stock paper, laminate, and cut? Is that all there is to it?

This could work will if you did on different colored paper, then I'd have the two things I want. An indestructible, easy to pick out deck.
Yes, what I usually do is print the faces and backs separately onto copy paper then spray glue them together. After glueing them I laminate the sheets and cut the cards out. This makes a fairly thick and flexible card that you can shuffle if needed. The corners can be tough to cut with a corner rounder, that's probably the biggest draw-back.

You can use card stock but that makes a super thick card that doesn't shuffle well and is a pain to cut out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick C
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adam wilson wrote:
DerrickC wrote:

Yes, what I usually do is print the faces and backs separately onto copy paper then spray glue them together. After glueing them I laminate the sheets and cut the cards out. This makes a fairly thick and flexible card that you can shuffle if needed. The corners can be tough to cut with a corner rounder, that's probably the biggest draw-back.

You can use card stock but that makes a super thick card that doesn't shuffle well and is a pain to cut out.
If you use regular paper, doesn't it curl a bit when you laminate it? Or does the gluing the two pieces prevent that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |