Dragonfire» Forums » Rules

Subject: Strength and summon? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Andersson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
Ok, just entered scene 2 in my first ever "proper" game and have 2 questions (so far).

The fire Giant have a keyword "Strength" that applies to its attacks, but I can't find anything anywhere what it means or does?

One encounter has a "Summon any" effect, what deck do I do the summon from? Primary or same as the encounter that summons?

(Dang dids this get hard fast when the harder encounters in scene 2 came in).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SteinerKD wrote:
Ok, just entered scene 2 in my first ever "proper" game and have 2 questions (so far).

The fire Giant have a keyword "Strength" that applies to its attacks, but I can't find anything anywhere what it means or does?

One encounter has a "Summon any" effect, what deck do I do the summon from? Primary or same as the encounter that summons?

(Dang dids this get hard fast when the harder encounters in scene 2 came in).
Fire Giant is from the Dragonspear expansion. I personally wouldn't recommend mixing in expansion material until after you're familiar with the base game, partly for this reason -- keywords were only defined in full on the first set they get introduced, later sets assume you've seen the keyword and know what it means.

So what does Strength mean? Once you trip the card (damage below the line), the encounter gains +1 power.

---

Summons always come from the same deck which the summoning card came from, unless stated otherwise on the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Andersson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
byronczimmer wrote:

Fire Giant is from the Dragonspear expansion. I personally wouldn't recommend mixing in expansion material until after you're familiar with the base game, partly for this reason -- keywords were only defined in full on the first set they get introduced, later sets assume you've seen the keyword and know what it means.

So what does Strength mean? Once you trip the card (damage below the line), the encounter gains +1 power.

---

Summons always come from the same deck which the summoning card came from, unless stated otherwise on the card.
Yeah, you're right, I'll just remove those and draw new ones. I somehow managed to draw 2 Fire Giants to start off scene 2 :/
I thought Dragonspear was the first expansion? I couldn't see any keywords listed in the rulesheet for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SteinerKD wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:

---

Yeah, you're right, I'll just remove those and draw new ones. I somehow managed to draw 2 Fire Giants to start off scene 2 :/
I thought Dragonspear was the first expansion? I couldn't see any keywords listed in the rulesheet for it.
No new keywords were added in Dragonspear.
Strength was first introduced in the base set, and every time it appears, the card also explains what to do.

Choosing to not continue full explanation on cards in expansions is a design choice I'm not always a fan of - especially since the keywords have never appeared in the rules documents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fede Fdez
msg tools
badge
Son of Durin VI
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like either, sometimes it's hard to find the definition and I end searching in Google. I couldn't find any cheat sheet in the bgg with the keywords so I think I will do one by my myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Desmond
United Kingdom
Sawbridgeworth
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nain_i wrote:
I don't like either, sometimes it's hard to find the definition and I end searching in Google. I couldn't find any cheat sheet in the bgg with the keywords so I think I will do one by my myself.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2001880/description-tripwir...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls