SpaceCorp» Forums » Rules

Subject: Solo Rules Clarification - Running Out of Competation Teams rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
PFGamer
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, folks, I have another odd situation that has arisen...

Based on card draws, I have 11 Competition teams already on the board, plus one on Contract 6. I just drew another Site action for the AI. What now?

Do I:

1) Discard the card with no effect, as I cannot place a team there, OR
2) Take a team from another location, such as Contract 6?

My guess is that the card is discarded with no action taken, as that's what happens when you draw a Site action for a Site that is not eligible any more.

Did I miss something in the rule book? This isn't likely to happen in Mariners, and I didn't find anything in the Planeteers or Starfarers sections.

Any help appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Schall
United States
Evans City
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Per page 6 of rules. If you don't have a team you don't place one. This should be very rare. I have never run out of comp teams.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space intentionally left blank]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Airborne wrote:
Per page 6 of rules. If you don't have a team you don't place one. This should be very rare. I have never run out of comp teams.
And as per the player aid the competition might still place an exploration tile and get immediate benefits!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Cockburn
United Kingdom
Sleaford
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Airborne wrote:
The table on page 13 and on the solo player aid for covers the eventuality of no competition teams for non-Legrange bases in the first two eras.

In the Starfarers era there are 14 possible sites to place teams, and the competition card deck includes two cards with "Contract 6", so in theory there is a need for 15 competition teams to cover all these at the same time. However, when you as the player build a base, that makes one less site available for the competition, and if you can't manage to build 3 bases before the competition has placed all 12 teams you are not doing very well.

Even so, page 6 does cover the remote possibility in Starfarers that the competition has no teams available - then you simply don't place one.

There are 13 possible sites in Mariners and 21 in Planeteers, so it is only in exploring beyond the Asteroid Belt that the competition might find itself too thinly stretched.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PFGamer
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, everyone, for the clarification. I looked through the rule book several times, but it must have been too late in the evening for me to catch it.

In that particular game, I spent a few turns to gain cards via Research and then Upgrade my Infra. Normally, I wouldn't have done this, but several really good cards were available in rapid succession, so I took the chance. This is what led to the lack of Competition teams.

Help appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mathmethman wrote:
Airborne wrote:
The table on page 13 and on the solo player aid for covers the eventuality of no competition teams for non-Legrange bases in the first two eras.

In the Starfarers era there are 14 possible sites to place teams, and the competition card deck includes two cards with "Contract 6", so in theory there is a need for 15 competition teams to cover all these at the same time. However, when you as the player build a base, that makes one less site available for the competition, and if you can't manage to build 3 bases before the competition has placed all 12 teams you are not doing very well.

Even so, page 6 does cover the remote possibility in Starfarers that the competition has no teams available - then you simply don't place one.

There are 13 possible sites in Mariners and 21 in Planeteers, so it is only in exploring beyond the Asteroid Belt that the competition might find itself too thinly stretched.
They also may place 3 teams in Orion Spur in Starfarers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Cockburn
United Kingdom
Sleaford
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
improove wrote:
mathmethman wrote:
Airborne wrote:

They also may place 3 teams in Orion Spur in Starfarers.
Good catch. I'd forgotten about that. In other eras they just take the first beyond marker, but in Starfarers they do place teams to prevent anyone else doing the same.

Although... after a moment's reflection I realise that they can only place teams in the Orion Spur when they already have an adjacent colony (and no team). So the number of teams which might be present simultaneously is not changed. Whew. My overlooking the Orion Spur doesn't ultimately change my calculations. The maximum teams which might be needed all at once is still 15.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls