Hide
7 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » General

Subject: To Add or not to Add? That is the Question. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mishal Didi
msg tools
Quick Question Guys. I bought everything Star Wars Imperial Assault related (All expansions and all Ally/Villian packs to date)

Is it better to dive into our first campaign (using the campaign book and not the app) with all the expansions and packs added (i heard this would be fun but might break the game) or play it wave by wave (I.e. core box and its packs then first expansion and its packs, etc)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Barlowe
United States
Clarks Summit
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Go wave by wave. Savor it. It’s all great. You have literally years of play worth of content on your hands. My two cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wanted to point out that the app is completely different from the IA campaign, I would go as far as saying the LotA app is a completely different and separate game

I would play a Core campaign first to get a taste of what it's like, how a mission is played, pros/cons of different units, get the rules correct... before mixing in everything all the expansions since it could be overwhelming. The expansion rules and units will make much more sense after you're comfortable with Core
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
There are a lot of rules that people miss when they first start out, but the number of expansions doesn't affect that. I'd say jump right in! Most of the extra choice with having so much content just comes in the beginning when choosing which hero/class/agenda sets to use.

If you are worried about jumping into the deep end, just don't pick any hero's or imperial decks that focus on some type of token. Off the top of my head, that would mean Saska, Loku, Tress, or Ko-Tun for heroes and Reactive defenses or Overwhelming Oppresion for the Imperials. They aren't bad, but add in more minutia.

Ohhh, don't pick Subversive Tactics as a class deck for the Imperials the first time around. It's considered the "unfun" deck for new players (though not that bad once they know a bit more).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Start with the core box material and add more when the campaign progresses for a slightly more soft landing.

You can start using the non-unique imperial (both mb and mb) groups when you know what the ones in the core can do. One campaign won't be enough to know the benefits and drawbacks of all imperial groups.

You don't need extra agenda sets from the expansions - you will just have too much to choose from without having much idea of what things you are looking for.

You won't need extra side missions - you don't need extra variety for them when you haven't played any of them yet. (But if the rebels wish to see a certain ally, have the corresponding green side mission available.)

Item and supply cards is a mixed bag - there are good cards in the expansions, but it will be hard for the rebels to evaluate the value of cards in their first campaign. And the supply deck gets diluted if you add everything, which is the other side of the coin.

Just remember - don't worry about making mistakes - they are almost inevitable. Play and refer to the rules reference guide, read through after the mission and correct things for future plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage fan - Raven Clan - FOR THE GLORY!
mbmbmbmbmb
In order not too overload the rebel players with too much new adversaries with different new mechanics I would just add a few (2 to 5) extra free groups from other exapansions/villain packs to add a little bit of variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Miller
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I were in your shoes, I'd do the core and the figure packs corresponding to it. Add in their missions. When you do a side mission, I'd remove it from the pool for future expansions when you finish the core. If you get a character specific side mission, I'd try to not use that character again. I think this will help you to see the most missions and keep things fresh. Also, it will provide a new surprise when you jump into a box expansion with new units to try. Imperial player can't reuse a class deck and Amy agenda set you do the mission for gets tossed aside.

If you throw everything in, I think it will cut down on the excitement I'm the future.

I mean. Sure, the good guys did the death star mission three times in the movies, bit do you really want to do the same missions over and again?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls